A Salute to Steve's Food Polls

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: A Salute to Steve's Food Polls

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:31 am

Somehow, mass produced food has sensitised the younger generation. I have noticed some children and adults squeal about cutting up a chicken from the store.[/b]
Let me ask you Maz, are you a liver & onion type of person?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:58 am

Somehow, mass produced food has sensitised the younger generation. I have noticed some children and adults squeal about cutting up a chicken from the store.[/b]
It would not be my first choice but if hungry I would not turn it down. In my family, offal was minced and blended with cereals and spices to make pud or some form of pâté. Puds and sausages helped to extend meats and offal as a budget saver.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:28 am

It would not be my first choice but if hungry I would not turn it down. In my family, offal was minced and blended with cereals and spices to make pud or some form of pâté. Puds and sausages helped to extend meats and offal as a budget saver.
Chicken hearts are almost a delicacy at our house. Chicken liver... I may be the only one that'll eat it. Gizzards, made right, are okay every once and again.
1 x

MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 am
MaxPC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:28 am

Chicken hearts are almost a delicacy at our house. Chicken liver... I may be the only one that'll eat it. Gizzards, made right, are okay every once and again.
I have had fried gizzards, quite chewy. Not my first choice either. My wife will sometimes put chicken offal into stuffing for baked chicken.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:33 am Gizzards, made right, are okay every once and again.
Here's what I think "made right" means.

Gizzards, when pressure-cooked, lose their odd texture and are almost indistinguishable from other muscle meats when cut into small pieces.
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Chicken feet: I have never been tempted to even try them.
Pickled pig's feet: once was enough. Starvation would be the necessary sauce for another go.
Beef tongue: had it, liked it well enough. It would depend on the chef.
Haggis: not my cuppa. I suppose that is a Scot's DNA that would make it palatable.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:44 am
Beef tongue: had it, liked it well enough. It would depend on the chef.
I had tongue as a child and it was not prepared right. I would like to have the chance of doing it myself, though. Crockpots are your friend. Many years ago, I was gifted a beef heart and I made it for Christmas dinner. Took my time and it was a family hit. My dad tells me that leftover beef heart makes for great sandwiches. Didn't have enough left to find out.
1 x

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Leftover tongue makes decent sandwiches, too.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I grew up with smoked beef tongue and it is good hot or cold. Back in those days it was a cheap meat- today it is quite pricey if you can even find it.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Grace wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:31 am
MaxPC wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:27 am I do not recall ever having had scrapple. What is it?
Scrapple consists of meat or pork trimmings, cooked off the bone. Many times the meat used are from places of the animal that cannot be trimmed unless cooked, such as cow tail or the heads. Then the meat is mixed with a mixture of cornmeal and various spices. After it is cooked the mixture is put into oblong pans and cooled. When it is thoroughly cooled it forms a nice loaf that can be dumped out of the pan and sliced. The slices are then fried until the outer part has a crispy crust. People eat it with either ketchup, gravy, syrup, etc.
I ran across this gem of irrational exuberance just now:
Oh flower of all the flavors, O Queen of all the savors
That e’er to happy nostrils deliciously have rolled!
My soul with rapture shivers when I see the perfect slivers
Of kidney blent with livers, the scrapple hot or cold.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited