A Salute to Steve's Food Polls

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: A Salute to Steve's Food Polls

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:28 pm Here you go Max... ever heard the term "bubble & squeak" when referring to food? Specifically, a Full English Breakfast?
Absolutely. We ate it frequently while we were children. Have you had any? The ingredients varied as it is one of those great dishes of leftovers. Bubble and squeak is a dish unto itself. The full English is another matter altogether; it may have b & s or it may not. It will most certainly include eggs and sausages, the ripe tomato and some form of pud.
I gathered the leftover thing. Does it take the place of hashbrowns? Maybe I have bad intell....
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:36 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:28 pm Here you go Max... ever heard the term "bubble & squeak" when referring to food? Specifically, a Full English Breakfast?
Absolutely. We ate it frequently while we were children. Have you had any? The ingredients varied as it is one of those great dishes of leftovers. Bubble and squeak is a dish unto itself. The full English is another matter altogether; it may have b & s or it may not. It will most certainly include eggs and sausages, the ripe tomato and some form of pud.
I gathered the leftover thing. Does it take the place of hashbrowns? Maybe I have bad intell....
Hashbrowns are those potato strings, yes? I have seen leftover mash made into patties and fried.

B&S is the mixing together of leftover veg (which may included leftover potatoes). It is fried with onion and other seasoning (salt and pepper) in suet or lard or butter. Every home on a budget made it. It could also be found in school lunches. If you think of your mother's favorite way to use leftovers, you will understand the idea underpinning the invention of bubble & squeak.

Nothing was allowed to go to waste.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:42 pm

Hashbrowns are those potato strings, yes? I have seen leftover mash made into patties and fried.

The terms hashbrowns, homefries, and fried potatoes get tossed around quite a bit in this area too much. Then the Jewish have latkies, so just eat your shredded up potatoes, I guess.
1 x

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm The full English is another matter altogether; it may have b & s or it may not. It will most certainly include eggs and sausages, the ripe tomato and some form of pud.
I've often seen it with baked beans, usually too ketchupy for my taste, which I don't really associate with breakfast. But I guess they give you a full tank of gas for the day.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:30 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm The full English is another matter altogether; it may have b & s or it may not. It will most certainly include eggs and sausages, the ripe tomato and some form of pud.
I've often seen it with baked beans, usually too ketchupy for my taste, which I don't really associate with breakfast. But I guess they give you a full tank of gas for the day.
Yes, baked beans are standard too. But the Brit Heinz is not like the US Heinz. There is not as much sugar in Brit Heinz; speaking in Heinz-sight of course. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I find it hard to beat a full English breakfast like this one. We carefully followed this video exactly. Was fantastic.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

It can be quite filling which of course fits the ticket if you are physically active. The items in a Full English might vary according to the region or the availability. We only ate it on special occasions and if the ham slice was unavailable we would occasionally have black pud (blood sausage). It did not come cheaply in those years.

Usually for every day breakfast we would have porridge or a leftover potato; sometimes a soft boiled (egg) with marmite soldiers (toast with marmite spread). When I was young, WWII rationing had a major impact on the menu.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville

I've often pondered trying to convert an English Breakfast to a crockpot recipe. Certainly will take some experimenting to get the layering just right.
0 x

MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:29 am I've often pondered trying to convert an English Breakfast to a crockpot recipe. Certainly will take some experimenting to get the layering just right.
I would not know how to even advise that. My wife says you should crisp the sausages and blood pudding first and put the eggs on last. I think I will stick to porridge these days with an occasional soft boiled.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:46 am
I would not know how to even advise that. My wife says you should crisp the sausages and blood pudding first and put the eggs on last.
It would be impossible to do without cooking the meats and eggs first. We substitute the blood pudding with scrapple at our house.
0 x