How about southern gospel -
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Blessed by Hymns

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:How about southern gospel -
I don't listen to Southern Gospel, but I figured I'd look at the songs listed here to see if I'd ever heard any of these in church (myself being form the South). I didn't recognize a one.. :?
Maybe I'm confusing the genre of "southern gospel" with something else.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

All genres? :up: Here are a few contemporary ones - my favorites in that genre. (I enjoy them in all genres though).

Oh How Marvelous (Chris Sligh)

How Deep the Fathers Love for Us (Owl City) - Is this a hymn? I guess it was written in 1995, but its lyrics feel hymn-like. I'll say it's a modern hymn.

Jesus I am Resting (Tricia Brock)

I'll Fly Away (Jars of Clay)
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

buckeyematt2 wrote:All genres? :up: Here are a few contemporary ones - my favorites in that genre. (I enjoy them in all genres though).

Oh How Marvelous (Chris Sligh)

How Deep the Fathers Love for Us (Owl City) - Is this a hymn? I guess it was written in 1995, but its lyrics feel hymn-like. I'll say it's a modern hymn.

Jesus I am Resting (Tricia Brock)

I'll Fly Away (Jars of Clay)
I love a lot of these songs too- especially How Deep the Fathers Love for Us and I'll Fly Away-

Perhaps you don't have to fit them all in a 'hymn' category:

King James Bible
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sudsy wrote:How about southern gospel -
I don't listen to Southern Gospel, but I figured I'd look at the songs listed here to see if I'd ever heard any of these in church (myself being form the South). I didn't recognize a one.. :?
Maybe I'm confusing the genre of "southern gospel" with something else.
Perhaps it is the era of these hymns. These are quite modern southern gospel. Perhaps this sample would be more like what you are familiar with -
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:Perhaps it is the era of these hymns. These are quite modern southern gospel. Perhaps this sample would be more like what you are familiar with -
Ahh yes. I recognize a fair amount of these- many are in my church hymnal.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Here is a a song that blesses me every time I hear it because of the personal story behind it. I wonder where I would be today if it wasn't for my dad's response to Jesus during this hymn. Dad, an unchurched man, who had ridiculed my mom over 2 years for becoming a Christian, would drive mom to church and sit out in the parking lot where he could smoke and read his western novels until she was ready to go home. He was able to hear through the open church windows those Pentecostal folks clapping their hands and singing joyfully unto the Lord. One day, he decided to go in and see for himself what these folks were so happy about. Well, at the end of the sermon they sang this hymn as dad was being drawn to the Saviour and I remember him telling us that right there in the church pew he said as the hymn goes 'Lord while on others thou art calling do not pass me by'. God did not pass him by but miraculously converted him and radically change his life. Thanks to dad's response and mom's faithfulness through those 2 hard years, I grew up in a Christian home. My dad became a street corner evangelist, preaching and giving out thousands of Gospel tracts.

That hymn -
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

And here is another group of Christians that I so respect for their witness and love for others. I was very blessed to spend a couple years with these folk who love the Lord and their fellow man. One of their many hymns that blesses me and speaks about prayer - The Salvation Army - Somebody Prayed For Me -
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:Here is a a song that blesses me every time I hear it because of the personal story behind it. I wonder where I would be today if it wasn't for my dad's response to Jesus during this hymn. Dad, an unchurched man, who had ridiculed my mom over 2 years for becoming a Christian, would drive mom to church and sit out in the parking lot where he could smoke and read his western novels until she was ready to go home. He was able to hear through the open church windows those Pentecostal folks clapping their hands and singing joyfully unto the Lord. One day, he decided to go in and see for himself what these folks were so happy about. Well, at the end of the sermon they sang this hymn as dad was being drawn to the Saviour and I remember him telling us that right there in the church pew he said as the hymn goes 'Lord while on others thou art calling do not pass me by'. God did not pass him by but miraculously converted him and radically change his life. Thanks to dad's response and mom's faithfulness through those 2 hard years, I grew up in a Christian home. My dad became a street corner evangelist, preaching and giving out thousands of Gospel tracts.

That hymn -
Thanks for sharing this Sudsy, this is one of my favorites too but reading your personal reasons why, are so special!
There are hymns that always remind my Grandma's conversion since she loved in particular certain hymns-

Pass Me Not- I have that by Fernando Ortega- he is my favorite musician-
Anyway- you might enjoy this little concert he did at John Piper's Church- we went to see him last year and I saw some Mennonite ladies there (one I knew from Holmes County, long drive for them!) so I don't think it would be out of the question to share his music here:

http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/cor ... full-video

(I think Fernando said some things that you would appreciate Sudsy)

(He wrote one song for the Amish "Children of the Living God"- it's a cute story he's told about what inspired him to write that song- because of an Amish woman who was singing away doing the dishes (apparently he was in their home in PA or she was or something)

0 x