Advice needed

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Advice needed

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:That's a very risky game in California, if you get caught you get dinged for driving an unregistered car.
Even if it's registered to another person?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Josh wrote:That's a very risky game in California, if you get caught you get dinged for driving an unregistered car.
Even if it's registered to another person?
You can't transfer a reg once a car doesn't pass smog unless you transfer it out of state.

If you get pulled over in California driving a car you transferred out of state to another person, you get dinged for driving an unregistered vehicle.

(Basically don't try to find a creative way to break this law - if it were possible millions of people would be doing it.)
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:You can't transfer a reg once a car doesn't pass smog unless you transfer it out of state.

If you get pulled over in California driving a car you transferred out of state to another person, you get dinged for driving an unregistered vehicle.

(Basically don't try to find a creative way to break this law - if it were possible millions of people would be doing it.)
I believe you- If there's ones thing I don't know about, it's California.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

in the case i described, the vehicle is registered out of state, the state would not change.
and, it's planned to be temporary, until the move is made.

but, far from me to understand the all the legalities involved.
i wouldn't understand them in my own state.

i'm not aware of anyone on this forum with a law degree. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:in the case i described, the vehicle is registered out of state, the state would not change.

Driving a car registered out of state if you are a California resident is illegal.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

to clarify, i don't believe Haystack or my friend, are seeking to break any laws.
attempting to find lawful solutions is not breaking the law.

lawyers would advise seeking legal counsel. if in doubt, that's what i would do, and, would advise others to do. it's ok to chat about experiences and ideas. but, when in doubt, seek legal counsel.

i still have misgivings about potential insurance liability problems.

for instance.
when our daughter was in college, we gave her our family car.
frankly, if she happened to be in an accident, i didn't want that to show up on our insurance. we put the registration in her name. parking tickets go to the registered owner, too. it was better for her to have the registration. she was no longer a minor. she paid for her own insurance. we all lived in the same state, not California.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

I'm certainly not wanting to break the law, but I don't want to make a bad financial decision either. I have a lot on my plate right now due to school ending soon, so my car problems are the least of my worries, but I do need to figure out something by the end of May to avoid legal troubles if I do get caught. For now my plates still look legal as it says May 2017, after May it would be a reasonable cause to be pulled over for.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Cost my daughter 200$ to get "Ethel" her 2012 smart car up to California standards, but she likely needed some exhaust work anyway. She is in one of the districts where you are more strictly regulated.

FYI there are a fair number of older cars on EBay, in good shape advertising that they are from California, and therefore in good shape (No rust). Maybe that's why?

J.M.

Sometimes I look at the 1974 Fiat 850 spyder I did not buy out of high school. But I don't see how I could honor God in a convertible the size of a roller skate.
0 x
:hug:
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:FYI there are a fair number of older cars on EBay, in good shape advertising that they are from California, and therefore in good shape (No rust). Maybe that's why?
For 'collector cars' it's more of a marketing gimmick to say it's a California car. While most California cars are indeed dry and rust free, if it's spent any time near the ocean or up in the mountains where they use road salt then it will most likely have rust. Depending on the car, some will go for double what they're worth because it's a "California car", crazy isn't it?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:in the case i described, the vehicle is registered out of state, the state would not change.

I think this is a good idea. If you have a non-local, trusted relative "buy" the car from you for a dollar and you pay for the insurance, it may be cheaper than a repair. As you said, the car is old. You can't move now. Sometimes those loopholes in the law are designed to avoid undue burdens on law abiding citizens. My two cents ;)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God