Advice needed

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Advice needed

Post by Haystack »

I could use some guidance and advice. I received a registration renew in the mail for my car along with a noticed I must get it smog tested in order to renew the registration. In my county part of it doesn't require smog testing, another part is a basic smog test, and then if you're really fortunate there's a part that requires a extended test which from what I hear is very strict. Luckily for me I live in the extended zone. I drive a 30 year old car which my grandmother gave me. She had owned the car since new and it's in great shape for it's age. I schedule a appointment to get the smog test and was informed that the car didn't pass, meaning I must get it "fixed" in order to renew the registration. I take it to a trusted mechanic who is a friend of mine and it's going to be expensive to "fix" it. By the time I pay for the smog tests (I have to get another one after its "fixed" to see if it passes then), the repair, and then the registration fee, it will be about $1,000. My dilemma is that it's a lot of money for a 30 year old car and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Granted if I get another car that will be a lot of money as well. I'm not sure what to do now.
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Re: Advice needed

Post by electro-wiz »

What state do you live in? In some states a 30 year old vehicle would be exempt from needing to pass. What exactly is it that needs to be fixed? If this vehicle is in great shape otherwise, getting it fixed will probably be your cheapest solution.
0 x
Haystack

Post by Haystack »

electro-wiz wrote:What state do you live in? In some states a 30 year old vehicle would be exempt from needing to pass. What exactly is it that needs to be fixed? If this vehicle is in great shape otherwise, getting it fixed will probably be your cheapest solution.
I live in California, only pre 1975 is exempt from smog testing here. The catalytic converter (approved for CA use) and some other "tweaking of the emissions system" is what I was told.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Haystack wrote:
electro-wiz wrote:What state do you live in? In some states a 30 year old vehicle would be exempt from needing to pass. What exactly is it that needs to be fixed? If this vehicle is in great shape otherwise, getting it fixed will probably be your cheapest solution.
I live in California, only pre 1975 is exempt from smog testing here. The catalytic converter (approved for CA use) and some other "tweaking of the emissions system" is what I was told.
Sell it to someone who lives in a state/county without smog checks. It is virtually impossible to keep 1980s cars working within California's mandated limits these days.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Move to the part of the county that does not require the smog test?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Haystack

Post by Haystack »

Josh wrote:
Haystack wrote:
Sell it to someone who lives in a state/county without smog checks. It is virtually impossible to keep 1980s cars working within California's mandated limits these days.
If I lived just 30 minutes north this wouldn't be a issue at all. California is trying all they can to get rid of older vehicles. I live in a rural area so I'm not sure why I fall in the smog zone at all. I hate to get rid of the car but I don't want to throw more money into it than it's worth so I might have to. It's a gamble with older cars, never know when something major will fail, so putting $1,000 into it is a serious risk considering it has at least 250k miles on it.
0 x
Haystack

Post by Haystack »

Neto wrote:Move to the part of the county that does not require the smog test?
Well I do intend to move, but considering I'm not moving within 2 weeks (when my registration expires) that's not a option for me.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

recently, a friend who lives in so cal was in a similar predicament.
he made arrangements to put the car's title in a trusted relative's name until he moves.

there are pros+cons to this, but, as a temporary measure, it might be ok.
temporary, to me, could be a year or so.

one misgiving i have is about liability, should there be an accident.
i'm unsure about how that would work.

i hope you're able to keep the car. :)

i once had a car i am sorry i gave up. i was in my 20's, and felt i couldn't afford it. it was an old VW bug, old, even then. i paid $300 for it. 8-)
i suppose many people have that experience.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Anyone trusted/ close to you who lives in an area where it could pass? Would it work to change the registry to that person so that it passes, but you still continue to drive it?

Edit: I now see that T1 suggested a similar notion, but I'll leave my comment anyways.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Anyone trusted/ close to you who lives in an area where it could pass? Would it work to change the registry to that person so that it passes, but you still continue to drive it?

Edit: I now see that T1 suggested a similar notion, but I'll leave my comment anyways.
That's a very risky game in California, if you get caught you get dinged for driving an unregistered car.
0 x