"If you don't vote, you have no right to complain!"

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain!"

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

PeterG wrote:I try not to complain in the first place. Our government could get noticeably worse and still be above average, by my reckoning.
Yeah, I have lived under a really bad one, who constantly made a mess of things. Ours is quite easy to get along with, by comparison.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is a sermon that was preached yesterday on this topic.

Also a debate that was held this past weekend.
https://www.facebook.com/Followers-of-t ... S_TIMELINE
Does anyone know whether this Josh Good has any Menno background?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

"If you vote, and your party/candidate/cause wins, you have no right to complain when you don't like the way it turns out."

"If you vote, you have no right to complain."

"You have no right to complain."

"You have no rights, only 'privileges'."

[I've heard about all of these at one time or another, coming from one mouth or another.]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I do think the choice not to vote limits our stake in some things...particularly party politics and the results of elections...

But on the other hand, I don't think voting is a necessary prerequisite to speaking up in the face of wrong or injustice. Jesus did not join with the various power movements of his day, and he didn't lead a political revolt, but he did choose at times to prophetically call out greed, corruption, violence and sin when he saw it - always pointing to something better.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Not sure everyone should vote. Some states, early on, only allowed property owners to vote. The idea was you had to have a stake in the game to vote. Too easy to vote for free money when you do not have to pay it in. There are a lot of unimformed voters out there and some who want to vote for free stuff. Is it really right that I vote for someone else to pay for what I want?

I actually respect those who do not vote because they are not informed or they are not fiscally responsible for the outcome. I also respect those who do not vote because they hold allegiance to another kingdom.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert:
Not sure everyone should vote.
Some states, early on, only allowed property owners to vote.
The idea was you had to have a stake in the game to vote.
Too easy to vote for free money when you do not have to pay it in.
There are a lot of [uninformed] voters out there and some who want to vote for free stuff. Is it really right that I vote for someone else to pay for what I want?
i think about this, too.
my analogy is that of a family wherein the children are allowed to vote on all matters; of course, cake will be served, breakfast-lunch-dinner! but no such common sense lessons are taught by those counting on mandated profits from cake sales!
Robert:
I actually respect those who do not vote because they are not informed or they are not fiscally responsible for the outcome.

I also respect those who do not vote because they hold allegiance to another kingdom.
i agree. interesting (to me) how those who hold allegiance to another kingdom appear to be more knowledgable about both the politics, and the fiscal responsibility! so, they are not "not-voting" in ignorance.

most often, when i did not vote, it was because i did not feel adequately informed, and, i believe MANY are in this boat.

thus, i feel "rounding up herds" of voters, changing laws to include ignorant voters based on "free stuff," is so low, i don't know how the herders live with themselves.

but, they do, proudly counting votes of people they actually deplore and wouldn't be seen in public or private with, outside the exchange of a vote. :evil:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
EdselB
Affiliation: conservative Menno

Post by EdselB »

Ernie wrote:Here is a sermon that was preached yesterday on this topic.

Also a debate that was held this past weekend.
https://www.facebook.com/Followers-of-t ... S_TIMELINE
Does anyone know whether this Josh Good has any Menno background?
At the risk of touting my own horn, here is a sermon I preached last July in a similar vein.

http://shippensburgchristianfellowship. ... mon_id=500

No doubt Reinhold Niebuhr would have enjoyed the irony of how Niebuhrian some "Anabaptists" have become in the present situation.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I'm glad for the exhortation out there.

In some ways, as unappealing as both candidates are this year to plain sensibilities (excepting some Amish), perhaps this is the year to preach the message of abstention and be heard. It will be a much harder sell when a truly appealing candidate comes along...although an important message nevertheless.
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

If you don't pray you have no right to complain.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Wayne in Maine wrote:If you don't pray you have no right to complain.
:up:
1 x