Anabaptism and Art

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Anabaptism and Art

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I'm curious what the Anabaptist perspective is on art?

I'm thinking more along the lines of written (poems, for example) and constructed (craft, painting, etc.); not so much the "performing arts".

Are these things looked down upon? Hardly looked on at all? Or something else?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Anabaptism and Art

Post by Josh »

Poetry is really popular. Occasionally there are still poetry readings on Sunday nights, a popular pastime in the 19th century but virtually extinct outside of a few subcultures today.

My latest catalogs from R&S which I just tossed had not just one, but two tracts which were entirely poems. I've pasted a quote from the end of one below.

In my own group, our lack of photography for anything other than practical business purposes means that many people resort to artwork and painting. One gentleman at church was a drafter by trade, and now in his semi-retirement, he likes to paint scenery, especially of places that are special to him. We avoid paintings of an exact likeness of a person, so to remember a person via artwork painting their house, workplace, school, or church is an alternative. It is a unique form of art I haven't really encountered elsewhere.

There is an ongoing debate about what is good craftsmanship, good interior decorating, landscaping, etc. and what is just too much pride and keeping up experiences. Likewise finding the balance between good use of time on arts vs spending time on things that might not have eternal value.
Editor's Note: This old poem reminds of a current issue—the Internet. We publish it again, with a burden that the Church does not give her snowy white hand to grasp this hand the world is offering.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:Poetry is really popular. Occasionally there are still poetry readings on Sunday nights, a popular pastime in the 19th century but virtually extinct outside of a few subcultures today.

My latest catalogs from R&S which I just tossed had not just one, but two tracts which were entirely poems. I've pasted a quote from the end of one below.

In my own group, our lack of photography for anything other than practical business purposes means that many people resort to artwork and painting. One gentleman at church was a drafter by trade, and now in his semi-retirement, he likes to paint scenery, especially of places that are special to him. We avoid paintings of an exact likeness of a person, so to remember a person via artwork painting their house, workplace, school, or church is an alternative. It is a unique form of art I haven't really encountered elsewhere.

There is an ongoing debate about what is good craftsmanship, good interior decorating, landscaping, etc. and what is just too much pride and keeping up experiences. Likewise finding the balance between good use of time on arts vs spending time on things that might not have eternal value.
Editor's Note: This old poem reminds of a current issue—the Internet. We publish it again, with a burden that the Church does not give her snowy white hand to grasp this hand the world is offering.
Very interesting and nice to know! Thanks for the reply.
I guess the poetry makes sense considering the (apparent) affinity for hymns and such that many groups have.

Do any folks play instruments?
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Several members of our Mennonite fellowship write poetry. One man does quite a bit of painting and craft arts. We have had at least three who write books. A number of us play instruments. All these things are respected by the fellowship.

I think of Timbrel, the Mennonite Women's magazine. It usually has both poetry and pictorial art.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Handmade cards are quite popular. It's not uncommon for the women and girls to get together for an afternoon and make cards together. They can get quite creative.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Do any folks play instruments?
Yes.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I wish EVERYONE could visit Lehman's Hardware in Kidron OH. There is a room in that huge place, where an Amish man had recreated famous artists paintings (example Thomas Kinkaid) in 3D wood- they are magnificent!! They have been on display there for over a year- and there is a video about the Amish artist- we had the opportunity of meeting him as he was there one time (I've brought people to view this) and he is a humble man but his creativity, skill and talent to me represent our Father, and affirmation that we are created in His image- and He obviously is creative!

I have hanging on our wall, a work done by Sarah M. Weaver, a print of her artwork called "The Broad and Narrow Way" - she was an invalid Amish woman who had obvious artistic talent and used it for the Lord-
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Some of my job almost crosses over into art. Commercial art, I suppose you could call it. And I recall a bishop telling me one day "that's what your problem is! Your job hinders you from having an appreciation for conservative values." I didn't realize I had a problem, but allowed that he had an interesting perspective and could he please elaborate? Well it seems like he was in our showroom one time and observed some of the items on display and was convinced that they were only to appeal to the younger crowd to "make people look at them." So I asked him would he consider my perspective? And mentioned that the 18 year olds, frankly, can't normally afford what he was pointing out to be a problem item in our showroom (airbrushed mural on a truck). He said he would try see my perspective. So I asked him, "if you were a carpenter, and someone wanted a $10,000 doorway system installed in their house, would you decline and sell them a $300 because function is all that matters? If you were an electrician, would you decline to run anything but what you considered "functional" wiring, example nothing that would be used to watch TV or cool beers? Or if you were a butcher, would you refuse to sell your meat to folks struggling with obesity? Because I provide a service. And if someone wants a sign, I try to provide what they are looking for. My creativity is a God given talent, and unless a request crosses moral boundaries, I exercise it to the best of my ability. Yes, there is an element of "look at me" involved in signage and truck lettering. That's kind of what advertising is, isn't it?

All this to say, yes, some appreciate art. Some folks believe only functional things have value. For someone to spend money on something just because it looks beautiful makes some folks wince. My dad, for example can not stand the art that is close to my kitchen table. He says it represents nothing, and he can't for the life of him understand what I see in it. Art to him, at the very least, should represent something. We bought it because it's beautiful. Oh, and it was within our budget!
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Emma Schrock was an Old Order Mennonite from Elkhart, Indiana. She was disabled and unable to all much work but she could paint and paint she did. We went to visit her on a very warm day in August and while the others visited with Emma, I walked through the house, looking at all her paintings on display. The hog price was extremely bad at the time which meant that money was scarce - but I saw that painting she just finished that day - a winter scene of the Schrock homestead. I kept coming back to it - the paint was still wet and the price was $20 but I ended up buying it.

David Nolt grew up as an Old Order Mennonite in Lancaster County - he was born with very short stubs instead of hands and arms but he learned to paint by mouth. He started out painting cards and other small items; today all his paintings go to a dealer in Switzerland. One of my sisters writes books, poetry, magazine articles, etc. One daughter enjoys photography. My mother and some of my sisters quilted.

Have you ever heard of Fraktur? That is an Amish artform.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Im unite surprised with the answers. I elected art to be looked down upon more than you've all said!
0 x