How was church today ?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: How was church today ?

Post by Hats Off »

We had two visiting ministers plus quite a number of other visitors from sister churches to help us remember the resurrection of Jesus. Then we entertained 17 youth girls at lunchtime (probably they entertained us) as it was our Sunday to host the youth girls.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I visited my old congregation where one of my best friends was baptised. So the service was at 7am, his baptism at 8:30am, and then after that folks brought in food for a breakfast buffet.

Unfortunately, I slept through my alarm, so I woke up naturally around 7:15 and rushed to make it in!

After that some friends wanted to meet up so I met them at Starbucks (which was the only place open), but it was under construction, so we migrated to a grocery store that had a seating area and was open, and we chatted for a while.

After that some other friends invited me to spend Easter lunch with them. My family tends not to do "Resurrection Sunday" lunch. My parents did come out to my old church for the baptism so I got to see them there anyway.

It turns out my other friends booked a reservation at some country club kind of place, so I went there with them. That's where I had the dry lamb, but the roast beef was very tender and delicious. I was with a pastor and his wife and kids, and it turned out our waitress knew the pastor's wife's sister, so they made a good connection. We all had great conversation.

My home church voted to not have Sunday church tonight (sometimes that happens), probably since one of our ministers is out of town. So I went to our church in Kidron where the youth were having a singing about our Lord's death, burial, and resurrection. The singing was phenomenally good - maybe the acoustics in the building were really good too? A few Amish visited, quite a few Beachy people and some Nationwide Mennonite people, which surprised me a bit.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

We had our traditional Easter service which consists of us first getting together at 8 am at some local seniors homes and singing Easter songs to them while they eat breakfast.

After that we all meet at church for a carry in breakfast. The whole service consisted of a lot of singing including the pastor leading a number of appropriate songs throughout his message. Also our newly ordained pastor spoke to us formally for the first time as pastor.

All in all it was a very meaningful time remembering this very joyful time of year.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:Unfortunately, I slept through my alarm, so I woke up naturally around 7:15 and rushed to make it in!
I wasn't the only one? :o There was apparently a short power outage during the night, which rebooted my alarm clock, which has a backup battery intended to maintain the time during such events, which was dead. So when I opened my eyes to the early morning light, it soon dawned on me that I had missed the sunrise service, which was a disappointment. The youth were in charge and they had talked to me earlier in the week about the audio setup, so fortunately my assistant made it there on time. At least I arrived before breakfast was cleared away. :)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

Someone I considered a close friend came under the influence of someone with major control issues etc. (The details aren't important, but basically he taught that true Christians don't meet in church buildings and only meet with chairs arranged in a circle, etc.) Unfortunately, my close friend was ordered by this other person to disfellowship me. Needless to say that hurt a lot.

Yesterday he was at church along with myself, and he approached me and restored me. Needless to say that was a wonderful moment. He also said he is planning to resume attending church there, which is really great news. I knew all along he had a genuine heart to follow Jesus - sometimes wolves come in and try to raid the flock, but the good shepherd lays his life down for the sheep.

It was especially touching to see the good shepherd at work, laying his life down for the sheep, on Easter.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Our MB teaching pastor began a new series of sermons called 'Roots'. This is a series on Anabaptism. We studied the history this morning from the time of the Great Schism in 1054 through to the Reformation and then the beginning of Anabaptism. Pastor shared some of the differences between Protestanism and Anabaptism and how Anabaptism focuses on the Christ-centered approach to Christian living. This would likely be nothing new for those raised in Anabaptism but our congregation has many not raised as Anabaptists. Looking forward to more in this series.

Our pastor left Pentecostalism for Anabaptism and I'm looking forward to how he addresses subjects like pacifism, the veiling, etc.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:Our MB teaching pastor began a new series of sermons called 'Roots'. This is a series on Anabaptism. We studied the history this morning from the time of the Great Schism in 1054 through to the Reformation and then the beginning of Anabaptism. Pastor shared some of the differences between Protestanism and Anabaptism and how Anabaptism focuses on the Christ-centered approach to Christian living. This would likely be nothing new for those raised in Anabaptism but our congregation has many not raised as Anabaptists. Looking forward to more in this series.

Our pastor left Pentecostalism for Anabaptism and I'm looking forward to how he addresses subjects like pacifism, the veiling, etc.
Really good to see this being taught about - even those raised Anabaptist are often unaware of our heritage.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Church last Sunday was great! I could not go home last weekend due to work obligations and travel schedules, so I went to church in a fellowship I hadn't been to before in Minnesota. They sang out of "Hymns of the Church" which personally blessed me since it is my favourite hymnal but my current church doesn't use it. Then they sang my favourite song, "Day By Day". I used to listen to and sing that song to get me through a particularly hard time in my life.

Today I did not get to enjoy church, as I am in a location where everyone works on Sunday. Yesterday there were some weather delays so I did not get a chance to search for any fellowship here.

That leaves me looking forward to next Sunday even more and I will appreciate it all the more.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:Church last Sunday was great! I could not go home last weekend due to work obligations and travel schedules, so I went to church in a fellowship I hadn't been to before in Minnesota. They sang out of "Hymns of the Church" which personally blessed me since it is my favourite hymnal but my current church doesn't use it. Then they sang my favourite song, "Day By Day". I used to listen to and sing that song to get me through a particularly hard time in my life.

Today I did not get to enjoy church, as I am in a location where everyone works on Sunday. Yesterday there were some weather delays so I did not get a chance to search for any fellowship here.

That leaves me looking forward to next Sunday even more and I will appreciate it all the more.
"Day By Day" - that sure brings back some memories. I sang that with another brother as a duet.

A Mennonite choir sings it -
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:
Josh wrote:Church last Sunday was great! I could not go home last weekend due to work obligations and travel schedules, so I went to church in a fellowship I hadn't been to before in Minnesota. They sang out of "Hymns of the Church" which personally blessed me since it is my favourite hymnal but my current church doesn't use it. Then they sang my favourite song, "Day By Day". I used to listen to and sing that song to get me through a particularly hard time in my life.

"Day By Day" - that sure brings back some memories. I sang that with another brother as a duet.

A Mennonite choir sings it -
What a beautiful song!!! I have a few Mennonite CD's now & love to play them- so different than the music I was accustomed to (Christian Contemporary for the most part)- I have grown t love this type of music & surprising for me, the Gaithers-
0 x