Driving in Low Visibility

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Driving in Low Visibility

Post by Ernie »

An acquaintance was involved in this pileup accident yesterday, but he is still alive. There is no reason that this kind of accidents need to keep happening. We have the electronic technology to keep these from reoccurring.
In the past I could have been involved in one of these as I only thought about whether I had control of my vehicle. I did not think about that there may be an accident that just occurred ahead of me and what I should do in light of that possibility. Most drivers today think similarly to how I used to think the way it seems.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/breaking-pi ... 23202.html

After seeing many videos of these pile ups the last number of years, my plan for the future is to not travel that day or get off the road when there is low visibility. (if I can)
If that is not possible, then keep lots of distance between me and the vehicle ahead and drive slowly.

If I ever end up in an accident, I will head for the woods or fields as quickly as possible, with or without my vehicle.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Driving in Low Visibility

Post by temporal1 »

Look ahead, think about vehicles and the road ahead, AND, keep an eye on your rear view mirror.
Lots of collisions happen from behind. Harder to foresee and prevent. Fog, road conditions, speeding, distracted driving.

If i have to slow down, or drive slowly, i often turn on hazard lights (in attempt to avoid rear end collision).
Driving slowly isn’t a guarantee of avoiding collision.

Staying off roads, esp in inclement weather is #1.
Waiting a few hours, a day or 2, is worth it. The technology of weather reports+road conditions exists! Use them. :mrgreen:

Even minor fender-benders are costly.

My father+brothers did auto body repair. Driving messages were continual. :lol:

But, seriously, our brains are complex computers. We take it for granted, but, when driving, in motion, we’re constantly “processing” and making decisions - including taking in new information.

Glad your friend is ok. Now to deal with his insurance company. ugh.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Once, on a trip from Ohio to Oklahoma, we ran into an ice storm in Missouri. The defroster was going full blast on the windshield, but it could not prevent the ice from building up (thick) on the wipers. We pulled off in the early afternoon. It was Saturday afternoon, and we weren't all that far away, but stopping meant that we would not arrive home (my parents) before Sunday services (the next day). (As it turned out, it was no longer raining the next morning - Sunday - but we could only travel at around 25 MPH, because the interstate was coated in a thick layer of ice. I think it was on Sunday, not the day before, when a PU with a camper shell on it when past us at around 40 MPH, did a couple of louies in the roadway, wend down into the median, then after a bit climbed back up on the pavement, and away 'he' went again, having learned not a solitary thing.

Fog is also really bad. Followed a semi from Rockford, IL all the way to central Nebraska once - just keeping his lights barely in sight, so as not to go "fog-blind".
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:20 pm Fog is also really bad. Followed a semi from Rockford, IL all the way to central Nebraska once - just keeping his lights barely in sight, so as not to go "fog-blind".
That works sometimes. The story is told of a farmer who was hauling manure out to his field in a snow storm. Apparently the line of vehicles that was following him on the road proceeded to follow him out into his field when he turned off.
1 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:34 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:20 pm Fog is also really bad. Followed a semi from Rockford, IL all the way to central Nebraska once - just keeping his lights barely in sight, so as not to go "fog-blind".
That works sometimes. The story is told of a farmer who was hauling manure out to his field in a snow storm. Apparently the line of vehicles that was following him on the road proceeded to follow him out into his field when he turned off.
Oh, that stinks. :lol:
3 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My coworkers who live up that way tell me that 81 is still shut down, and will be for some time. Once everything is cleared, they will have to mill the highway down and repave. There was that much damaged from the fires.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:35 am My coworkers who live up that way tell me that 81 is still shut down, and will be for some time. Once everything is cleared, they will have to mill the highway down and repave. There was that much damaged from the fires.
511PA shows 81 as free-flowing through that area now, if I am reading the map correctly. I can't imagine the traffic issues when 81 gets shut down. There are very few good alternates.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:45 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:35 am My coworkers who live up that way tell me that 81 is still shut down, and will be for some time. Once everything is cleared, they will have to mill the highway down and repave. There was that much damaged from the fires.
511PA shows 81 as free-flowing through that area now, if I am reading the map correctly. I can't imagine the traffic issues when 81 gets shut down. There are very few good alternates.
It is back open. Traffic gets horrible when I-81 is closed in that area. Doesn't keep people from crashing and closing it down though.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:34 pm
Now that is funny.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:54 am
mike wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:45 am
It is back open. Traffic gets horrible when I-81 is closed in that area. Doesn't keep people from crashing and closing it down though.
I stand corrected. It opened at 1am this morning according to news sources.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!