Non-Anabaptist Kingdom Christians

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Non-Anabaptist Kingdom Christians

Post by Ernie »

This is a thread to list fellowships (including home fellowships) who generally fit David Bercot's definition of "Kingdom Christian".
These would be folks who practice head-covering, non-resistance, modest dress, non-involvement in professional sports, do not allow divorce and remarriage, and discipline those who persist in sin, etc., but do not necessarily identify as Anabaptist.

Bercot used to have a list of these on his website, but these groups tended to deviate so fast from Kingdom Christianity that Bercot needed to remove them from his site so that people would not get sucked into cults.
Last edited by Ernie on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Re: Non-Anabaptist Kingdom Christians

Post by Ernie »

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote:This is a thread to list fellowships (including home fellowships) who generally fit David Bercot's definition of "Kingdom Christian".
These would be folks who practice head-covering, non-resistance, modest dress, non-involvement in professional sports, do not allow divorce and remarriage, and discipline those who persist in sin, etc., but do not necessarily identify as Anabaptist.

Bercot used to have a list of these on his website, but these groups tended to deviate so fast from Kingdom Christianity that Bercot needed to remove them from his site so that people would not get sucked into cults.
There were some Plymouth Brethren groups that would almost meet this description. Sadly, they have gone mainline evangelical. Last time I was in such a church, in a group of 100, there was one head cover. When I was in High School, and there with one of my friends, it was 100% of women, and some even during the week. What 45 years has done.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

PBs were never nonresistant, nor would they meet Ernie's definition of "kingdom Christian" if he requires either an Amish-Deuteronomy 24 or Webb view of marriage.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:PBs were never nonresistant, nor would they meet Ernie's definition of "kingdom Christian" if he requires either an Amish-Deuteronomy 24 or Webb view of marriage.
You may want to take a look at this article:

Peter Brock, "The Peace Testimony of the Early Plymouth Brethren," Church History 53 (March, 1984):37.

This is, however ancient history. If you showed this to current PBs, they might say you were nuts, look again, than say they seem to remember hearing something like this. It was gone in the mainstream by our generation for sure, and our grandfathers as well. Some of the PBs I went to high school with held this sort of views, but it was Vietnam war era.

They will not marry a divorced person, and will not accept a divorced person as a leader. (At least around here)

Other than that, they are quite mainstream. A far cry from my high school days. I was expecting to go here when my former church closed. When I saw the football jerseys in the AM service, I knew I was in the wrong place. That would NEVER have happened when I was in high school.

45 years ago, maybe close. Now, not even close.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:These would be folks who practice head-covering, non-resistance, modest dress, non-involvement in professional sports, do not allow divorce and remarriage, and discipline those who persist in sin, etc.
Well you just knocked out at least half of the CLP directory right there on pro sports alone.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Just curious as to what does it mean to be "not involved in professional sports?" Does this include playing sports games that professionals play? Or just not playing sports for a living? Or not following them at all...not attending events, watching them on TV, etc?" Any competitive sports?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

joshuabgood wrote:Just curious as to what does it mean to be "not involved in professional sports?" Does this include playing sports games that professionals play? Or just not playing sports for a living? Or not following them at all...not attending events, watching them on TV, etc?" Any competitive sports?
I would define it as "nothing more than a mild interest in sports games played by professionals". Such a person wouldn't be rooting for a particular team or checking every day to see how they are doing. They might be involved in a community game on occasion but not part of a community team.

This is my definition of course but I think it fits with the attitude that early Christians and early Anabaptists seemed to have about sports. If anything, I might be a bit lenient.
0 x