The Bandwagon Syndrome and Polarization

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

The Bandwagon Syndrome and Polarization

Post by Ernie »

The thought came to me today that someone people tend to ride bandwagons and others not so much.
In politics:
Democratic ideas are bad and Republican ideas are good (or vice versa)
In religion:
Old Orders are bad and Conservatives are good (or vice versa)
Conservatives are good and Progessives are bad (or vice versa)
Regarding ministries:
CAM is bad or CAM is good.
Life Ministries is good or Life Ministries is bad.
My missions are good, their missions are bad, etc.

Is it just me or is it a fact that people who generally more polarized than a few decades ago?
Is it correct to say that in general people less able to look at things objectively, and nuance the pros and cons compared to a few decades ago?
Or have there always been about the same percentages of people who are polarized in comparison with people who try to assess what is praiseworthy and what is not.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: The Bandwagon Syndrome and Polarization

Post by JimFoxvog »

I certainly believe there is greater polarization in politics. The "Stop the Steal" strategy where the losing side claims they won, has made things a lot worse. I was reading how Trump and his team had this strategy readied for his probable loss in 2016. It has hurt this country.
Bannon and Stone didn’t come into this cold. They had worked on “Stop the Steal” in 2016, with intentions of accusing Democrats of voter fraud in that election. Stone was back with “Stop the Steal” in Florida for 2018, deploying claims that the election there was going to be stolen when it looked like Democrats might pull off a victory in the Senate and governor’s race. They had it ready again in 2020, with Trump, Stone, and others insisting there was going to be massive election fraud months before the election was ever held. Trump underlined all this with claims that the only way he could lose was if there was fraud.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1 ... oor-timing
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:10 pm
Is it just me or is it a fact that people who generally more polarized than a few decades ago?
Is it correct to say that in general people less able to look at things objectively, and nuance the pros and cons compared to a few decades ago?
Or have there always been about the same percentages of people who are polarized in comparison with people who try to assess what is praiseworthy and what is not.
In my semi-professional opinion, I think technology (i.e. social media) allows us to share information, get a "like" on Facebook and have other people share it as well, thus forming a bandwagon.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

I will confess I have gotten and still do get on bandwagons, especially when it comes to politics. And I make no apologies for being on certain bandwagons, such as the bandwagon that supports life for the unborn, that premarital sex, adulterous sex, gay sex are wrong and a sin. Or that the Ten Commandments are indeed commandments, not just suggestions.

However on other occasions I have made a point to look at both sides of an issue or seriously heard another person’s story on an issue with whom I thought I disagreed with.

An example, at one point in my life I would have been on the bandwagon that ALL marijuana use was wrong, no matter what. That was until I talked to a conservative Mennonite mother who had a severely disabled daughter that suffered from various issues, one of them being seizures. Those seizures didn’t seem to respond to the standard seizure medications and the mother was desperate. This was before medical Marijuana was legalized in the state of Pennsylvania. Her kind and benevolent doctor gave her some names and channels to acquire cannabis for her daughter, in the hopes it would help her. She went that route, even if it was illegal, and thankfully the cannabis helped the disabled daughter substantially. So my being on the bandwagon for ALL marijuana is wrong, changed somewhat. Of course I still believe that using it for recreational use is no different than my stance on other bad recreational habits, such as smoking and drinking.

I suppose there are many who would still believe that legalizing medical use of cannabis is wrong. But for this mother it was a good thing, because now she doesn’t need to feel like she is breaking the law in helping her disabled daughter. And I suppose the topic of medical use of cannabis would be a whole other topic.

But my point is, sometimes it is good to listen to someone who might have a story, or trying to understand a differing view, before jumping on a bandwagon.
2 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:33 am
Ernie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:10 pm
In my semi-professional opinion, I think technology (i.e. social media) allows us to share information, get a "like" on Facebook and have other people share it as well, thus forming a bandwagon.
I agree with Steve that the 'advancements' in social media has much to do with people taking sides on issues. I doubt there would be as much arguing even amongst Christians over most anything if we didn't have personal computers. I think it is hard to resist standing up for or against what others think and post on a computer and we get sucked into topics that have little to do with our living the Christian life. Just look at the threads here and how the media drives what we talk about the most. It results in division far more than it encourages unity.

But this is probably more a reflection of our spiritual condition when we allow the world to control what we are concerned about. I think we are more 'of this world' than just being 'in this world' than we care to admit to. I include myself in saying this. YMMV.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Grace wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:52 am I will confess I have gotten and still do get on bandwagons, especially when it comes to politics. And I make no apologies for being on certain bandwagons, such as the bandwagon that supports life for the unborn, that premarital sex, adulterous sex, gay sex are wrong and a sin. Or that the Ten Commandments are indeed commandments, not just suggestions.

However on other occasions I have made a point to look at both sides of an issue or seriously heard another person’s story on an issue with whom I thought I disagreed with.

An example, at one point in my life I would have been on the bandwagon that ALL marijuana use was wrong, no matter what. That was until I talked to a conservative Mennonite mother who had a severely disabled daughter that suffered from various issues, one of them being seizures. Those seizures didn’t seem to respond to the standard seizure medications and the mother was desperate. This was before medical Marijuana was legalized in the state of Pennsylvania. Her kind and benevolent doctor gave her some names and channels to acquire cannabis for her daughter, in the hopes it would help her. She went that route, even if it was illegal, and thankfully the cannabis helped the disabled daughter substantially. So my being on the bandwagon for ALL marijuana is wrong, changed somewhat. Of course I still believe that using it for recreational use is no different than my stance on other bad recreational habits, such as smoking and drinking.

I suppose there are many who would still believe that legalizing medical use of cannabis is wrong. But for this mother it was a good thing, because now she doesn’t need to feel like she is breaking the law in helping her disabled daughter. And I suppose the topic of medical use of cannabis would be a whole other topic.

But my point is, sometimes it is good to listen to someone who might have a story, or trying to understand a differing view, before jumping on a bandwagon.
I know someone who was on the comparable to 300 units of morphine of narcotics... He had requested to try cannabis oil and one member was very strongly against non-approved drugs and the church said no. What's the difference from a glass of alcohol or some cannabis oil in contrast to oxy or fentanyl?
My tremor gets very well controlled with alcohol while the natural stuff does nothing. I am taking a prescribed drug for it, but my point is that the pharm developed THC drugs for seizures don't always work compared to the actual stuff.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:52 am I will confess I have gotten and still do get on bandwagons, especially when it comes to politics.

And I make no apologies for being on certain bandwagons, such as the bandwagon that supports life for the unborn, that premarital sex, adulterous sex, gay sex are wrong and a sin. Or that the Ten Commandments are indeed commandments, not just suggestions.

Define: Bandwagons
https://wordhistories.net/2018/01/22/ju ... on-origin/

Grace,
i seriously doubt you “jump on bandwagons.”
Just because bandwagons may get something right, something valuable and truthful you agree with, does NOT mean you are guilty of jumping on. It more likely reflects, IN SPITE OF the bandwagon, you hold thoughtful beliefs.

bandwagons, cults, political blocs, etc., always begin with some attractive premise. (they have to, or else, how could they initially convince folks to jump on board?!) they make it easy to jump on! harder to jump off. fear tactics.

however, sooner or later, the original purpose is lost, replaced with focus on protecting+supporting the wagon, cult, bloc, what have you. it becomes about power, control, greed. people become convinced they must be loyal to the wagon, after all, look at what initial good doing so accomplished??

i urge anyone to discern what is right IS right, it’s not owned by any wagon or cult - no matter how convincing they try to make it.
they try to establish dependency!-this is wrong. having strong convictions does NOT mean you have jumped on a bandwagon.
you didn’t need them to believe as you do. they want you to believe you need them. they want to use you. they want to use Jesus and scriptures! it can become ugly.

they are so often successful.
example: for profit corporate abortion lobbies can convince professing Christians to defend+support them!
that’s extreme. and it’s reality.

Regarding drugs: legal or not
Josh wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:19 pm I’d gladly do without fentanyl and opiates when I need them if it meant fewer drug addicts.

Of course, fentanyl has legitimate veterinary and surgical (certain types of anaesthesia) uses.
The problem is, stuff like this gets stolen and diverted. We need solutions both for the demand and the supply side.

No need to give anything up. No sacrifice on your part will stop criminals. That’s a fantasy.

This is how gov regulations are proven NOT to work.
Gov is ACE at controlling+taxing+penalizing the LAW ABIDING. As Soloist describes above, gov makes life harder: on the law abiding,
CRIMINALS DO AS THEY PLEASE.

Even in my tiny experience, i witness my doctors being quite nervous about prescribing drugs (to me) - no drug abuse, no complicated history, no requests/demands on my part. Yet, my doctors+i are “squeezed” by gov regs, while - the streets run wild.

i’m an EASY target for gov mandates. i obey laws. they have my address+soc sec number. i don’t run away, or shoot back.
see how that works??
Law makers and the low-hanging fruit (law-abiding citizens.) THEY LOVE IT. Their safe+lucrative careers.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ragpicker
Affiliation: Mennobapticostal

Post by ragpicker »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:42 pm I certainly believe there is greater polarization in politics. The "Stop the Steal" strategy where the losing side claims they won, has made things a lot worse. I was reading how Trump and his team had this strategy readied for his probable loss in 2016. It has hurt this country.
Bannon and Stone didn’t come into this cold. They had worked on “Stop the Steal” in 2016, with intentions of accusing Democrats of voter fraud in that election. Stone was back with “Stop the Steal” in Florida for 2018, deploying claims that the election there was going to be stolen when it looked like Democrats might pull off a victory in the Senate and governor’s race. They had it ready again in 2020, with Trump, Stone, and others insisting there was going to be massive election fraud months before the election was ever held. Trump underlined all this with claims that the only way he could lose was if there was fraud.
Kos? Yeah, that’s a credible site. LOL
2 x
Embrace the lonely road.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ragpicker wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:21 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:42 pm I certainly believe there is greater polarization in politics. The "Stop the Steal" strategy where the losing side claims they won, has made things a lot worse. I was reading how Trump and his team had this strategy readied for his probable loss in 2016. It has hurt this country.
Kos? Yeah, that’s a credible site. LOL
Jim’s post was a great example of this kind of polarisation, particularly the lack of self-awareness in his post.

This polarisation often manifests like this:

“Division and disunity are very bad and getting worse.

Here is why anyone who disagrees with me is an evil person who should be punished.”
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

hey ragpicker,
i successfully replaced my toilet tank lever. again. no hacksaw drama this time.
the korky universal isn’t universal. i called kohler and got the part. i bought an extra to have on hand.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN