When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Poll: Daylight Saving Time

Total votes: 0

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Poll: Daylight Saving Time

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Let's be honest, folks.
We can't even get away from the Imperial system- DST isn't going anywhere..
Alberta is giving serious consideration to switching to central time zone and then keeping it the same all year around, like Saskatchewan does. That would be the same as going to DST and staying on it.

Unfortunately it's too late for this year. They are looking at 2019.
yes, things do change.
possibly, a clue that DST may be on its way out (or, extended full year) - is the fact Standard Time continues to be shortened. another clue is how much more attention sleep patterns are getting in science+medicine.

it may yet go the way of the running board. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

lesterb wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Let's be honest, folks.
We can't even get away from the Imperial system- DST isn't going anywhere..
Alberta is giving serious consideration to switching to central time zone and then keeping it the same all year around, like Saskatchewan does. That would be the same as going to DST and staying on it.

Unfortunately it's too late for this year. They are looking at 2019.
That's great news.

I have to deal with multiple time zones a lot, and it's terribly confusing when dealing in the season where one place is on DST and the other is not yet.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

It does get confusing when different regions change at different times. Several years ago I was traveling in the spring, and changed from Eastern Standard Time to Eastern Daylight Time before leaving home. We had a day or so in Europe, just in time for the change from Central European Time to Central European Summer Time. About a week later, we changed from Israel Standard Time to Israel Daylight Time.

Of course, the time change in the fall was just one hour. I still think I've been cheated out of those other two hours. :evil:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote:It does get confusing when different regions change at different times. Several years ago I was traveling in the spring, and changed from Eastern Standard Time to Eastern Daylight Time before leaving home. We had a day or so in Europe, just in time for the change from Central European Time to Central European Summer Time. About a week later, we changed from Israel Standard Time to Israel Daylight Time.

Of course, the time change in the fall was just one hour. I still think I've been cheated out of those other two hours. :evil:
Israel itself has 3 DST zones, since Gaza and the West Bank can't agree, and the West Bank has to prove it can be different from the rest of Israel.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:It does get confusing when different regions change at different times. Several years ago I was traveling in the spring, and changed from Eastern Standard Time to Eastern Daylight Time before leaving home. We had a day or so in Europe, just in time for the change from Central European Time to Central European Summer Time. About a week later, we changed from Israel Standard Time to Israel Daylight Time.

i'm still scratching my head over a flight we took from Florida to Indy when we were in-flight for 2 hours, yet arrived at the same time we left. :shock: :lol:

These types of reports show up in recent years. Today i noticed:
WASHINGTON (WJLA/WKRC) - Studies show when we change our clocks ahead one hour, or "spring ahead", it impacts the human body.

Daylight Saving Time takes place on March 12. The change may have adverse affects on motor skills, productivity and could lead to an increased number of heart attacks that may take place on Monday, according to a University of Alabama at Birmingham expert.

"The Monday and Tuesday after moving the clocks ahead one hour in March is associated with a 10 percent increase in the risk of having a heart attack," the University’s Associate Professor Martin Young said, according to Science Daily. "The opposite is true when falling back in October. This risk decreases by about 10 percent," Young said.

Another study claims daylight saving time increases risk of stroke.
"Previous studies have shown that disruptions in a person's circadian rhythm, also called an internal body clock, increase the risk of ischemic stroke, so we wanted to find out if daylight saving time was putting people at risk," study author Dr. Jori Ruuskanen, of the University of Turku, in Finland, said in a statement as published by CBS News.

In addition to the rise in the risk of heart attacks, a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that the change lead to an eight percent increase in traffic accidents for a week on the Monday following the start of DST.

"A lot of motorists don't realize that just the loss of one hour of sleep can throw your circadian rhythm out of wack, and as a result, the Monday after the switchover we see more crashes than the Monday before or the Monday thereafter," John Townsend, AAA Mid-Atlantic spokesman, said according to Cooper Hurley.

Germany was the first country to enact DST in 1916 and the United States started observing a bit later during World War I to make better use of daylight while conserving energy. Though people can take advantage of extra evening daylight in warmer months, Daylight Saving Time is not always welcomed. There are numerous online petitions to End Daylight Saving Time.

In 2014, Russia canceled Daylight Saving Time time for all of its time zones.
Within the United States, part of Arizona, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands do not participate in daylight saving time.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Spotted on Facebook:

Baptists are exempt from Daylight Saving Time on religious grounds. That hour was saved last year and once saved always saved.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Michigan will vote on permanent DST:

"Lawmaker: Let's switch to Daylight Saving Time and never go back"
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /98860344/

i think, if i were a pilot, i would appreciate ending the biannual time changes.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Often, when I would go on an extended backpacking trip (1 week+) I would set my watch to local solar time: noon was exactly when the sun was at its highest, and sunset was as many hours after noon as sunrise before noon. That was a handy way to keep time in a practical manner.

DST is a useless joke to people who have to mark the day by sunrise, sunset, and high noon.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Just think of them as donations to science...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

northern hemisphere / astronomical spring
http://www.almanac.com/content/first-da ... al-equinox

we're having thunderstorms, with a bit of hail, this morning. not too serious, i hope.
it might be 62F today.
0 x

UNKNOWN