Poll: Daylight Saving Time

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Poll: Daylight Saving Time

Total votes: 0

appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Poll: Daylight Saving Time

Post by appleman2006 »

I have noticed that a person's opinion of DLS often has a lot to do with where they live within the time zone. We happen to be close to the middle of ours which ideal I think.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I dream that someday we'll get rid of time zones and just all go to UTC, and in local areas just post the UTC hours.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:I have noticed that a person's opinion of DLS often has a lot to do with where they live within the time zone. We happen to be close to the middle of ours which ideal I think.
"middle," east-west, or north-south, or both?
i was a little surprised that Quebec would not want DST.

results of this poll, so far, seem to reflect only 3 of 27 liked DST .. ?
(or, is it that 100% would prefer no time changes? i.e., pick one, and stick with it?)

at this point, we're now on Standard Time only 4 months!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I would prefer that they just leave it at real time, all of the time. Second choice would be to pick one or the other, and then leave it alone. I don't use an alarm clock. Almost never. I wake up by my internal clock, and it takes me a long time to adjust to these time changes. Also, when I was a kid, before they started it up again (at least in Oklahoma), I could just check the sun's position, and could tell you the time within 10 minutes or so. Not now, but possibly it is more difficult here in Ohio than there anyway, since I don't think that our days varied as much as here.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Since we are on Standard Time only 4 months, it would make sense to just stick with Daylight Saving Time year round. If the dark hours in the morning are a problem for some people in the winter, they could just adjust their schedule—which they effectively have to do now anyway.

As an added bonus, the parts of Indiana that didn't observe DST would go back to exactly what they used to be, and Arizona would end up having the same time zone as California and the rest of the west coast.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

It does not surprise me that Quebec does not like DST. They are on the eastern side of their zone. For them it would have the same effect as Indiana. And there are several reasons why Indiana does not change.

Also the closer you are to a timeline border the more of a pain it is to always make sure everyone you are dealing with is on the same page time wise. Someone like myself who lives at least 6 to 7 hours travel time from the line has a hard time appreciating that inconvenience. It simply is not that big a deal around here.

I am curious how Josh's idea would work. Would that not create even more confusion as to who is on what time?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

DST is evil. It is the retailers who are driving it. They find people will shop longer in the evening if it is lighter and spend more money. States like it because they get more sales tax from more sales.

Once again, government finding a way to get more money from us. Government is evil too. As long as I am on the evil list, add internet forums. They are evil too, along with climate change deniers. Oh, wait. I am one of them so they can't be all evil. Just most of them. 8-)
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

"stupid" isn't always evil. but it can be difficult to reverse.

Neto, i agree, our internal clocks are most important (and science supports this.)
doctors now routinely ask about sleep on most visits, regardless of age of patient. that's a change. sleep problems can mimic or worsen other problems.

i recall disliking the alarm clock so much as a child, i taught myself to wake just before the alarm, it's been a lifelong tool. much better than any other.

on occasion, i will use an alarm, just in case .. but, somehow, i usually manage to wake before
"the evil disturbance." :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Let's be honest, folks.
We can't even get away from the Imperial system- DST isn't going anywhere..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Let's be honest, folks.
We can't even get away from the Imperial system- DST isn't going anywhere..
Alberta is giving serious consideration to switching to central time zone and then keeping it the same all year around, like Saskatchewan does. That would be the same as going to DST and staying on it.

Unfortunately it's too late for this year. They are looking at 2019.
0 x