Terms for the decision to follow Christ

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Terms for the decision to follow Christ

Post by Ernie »

Each subculture has its way of talking about that point in time when a person chooses to identify as a Christian or cast one's lot with God's people.
Here are some samples of things I've heard over the years...
-Sara gave her heart to Jesus last night.
-Sarah accepted Jesus as her personal savior last night.
-Sarah is dressing plain.
-Sarah is joining church.
-Sarah became a Christian last night.

I don’t know what you think about these but all of these are rather problematic to me. Some more than others of course.

The River Brethren would say, Sarah has “made a beginning”. I really like this one.

What other ones have you heard?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Terms for the decision to follow Christ

Post by Sudsy »

- Sarah was born again
- Sarah accepted Jesus as her Lord and Saviour
- Sarah was converted
- Sarah received the gift of eternal life last night
- Sarah opened her heart to the Lord
- Sarah said the sinner's prayer
- Sarah decided to follow Jesus
- Sarah repented of her sins
- Sarah got saved

Some I have heard off the top of my head.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: The River Brethren would say, Sarah has “made a beginning”. I really like this one.
I really like this one.
:up:

We usually would say: "Sarah entered the Church at Easter." (New members called catechumens are received at Easter).
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I'm not sure what we could all use for terms. But I think it should reflect the idea of making a new beginning. The NT reflects in different places that idea that salvation isn't complete until we die. It's like an apprenticeship. CS Lewis called this world the shadowlands. Real life is still to come. But an ongoing up to date commitment will end up in salvation.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

lesterb wrote:I'm not sure what we could all use for terms. But I think it should reflect the idea of making a new beginning. The NT reflects in different places that idea that salvation isn't complete until we die. It's like an apprenticeship. CS Lewis called this world the shadowlands. Real life is still to come. But an ongoing up to date commitment will end up in salvation.
Lester, you would make a lousy Baptist. :lol:

I too like the wording of a new beginning as long as it is not looked at as similar to 'turning over a new leaf' as the new birth that scripture speaks of is a work of God that makes us into new creations. As scripture says this work of God in us causes old things to pass away and all things have become new.

[bible]2 cor 5,17[/bible]
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Sudsy wrote:
lesterb wrote:I'm not sure what we could all use for terms. But I think it should reflect the idea of making a new beginning. The NT reflects in different places that idea that salvation isn't complete until we die. It's like an apprenticeship. CS Lewis called this world the shadowlands. Real life is still to come. But an ongoing up to date commitment will end up in salvation.
Lester, you would make a lousy Baptist. :lol: [I'm sure you're right!]

I too like the wording of a new beginning as long as it is not looked at as similar to 'turning over a new leaf' as the new birth that scripture speaks of is a work of God that makes us into new creations. As scripture says this work of God in us causes old things to pass away and all things have become new.

[bible]2 cor 5,17[/bible]
I agree with you.

But even God can only do so much with people living in jars of clay. The day will come when He will break the jars and release us into LIFE eternal. That is when we will meet our full potential. That doesn't discredit what you quoted. To many people decide that this means sin doesn't matter. It does matter. Nonchalance is probably the greatest sin of all.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

The thing most sayings have in common is that they reduce salvation to a singular time, place, and/ or event.

I usually say something like this:
-Sarah began her discipleship.
-Sarah began to follow Jesus.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:Lester, you would make a lousy Baptist. :lol:]
Flattery.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In my congregation we say "Sarah was born again" to mean she accepted the Holy Spirit into her life and started trying to follow Jesus, and then "Sarah was converted" when she starts fully trying to follow specific church standards, etc. Finally, "Sarah was baptised" or "Sarah is now a member of the church" or "Sarah joined the church" once she is a member and is baptised.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:In my congregation we say "Sarah was born again" to mean she accepted the Holy Spirit into her life and started trying to follow Jesus, and then "Sarah was converted" when she starts fully trying to follow specific church standards, etc. Finally, "Sarah was baptised" or "Sarah is now a member of the church" or "Sarah joined the church" once she is a member and is baptised.
Are you referring to the Holdeman church you attend?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"