Education - How much, what kind, and by what time?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Education - How much, what kind, and by what time?

Post by joshuabgood »

And last but not least, the muffler bearings are important to keep oiled and up to date.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

So I am so far from being a mechanic that this thing fooled me until the end except for the part that it all seemed a little to easy. Except for one thing that had me scratching my head and that was the way he marked the timing belt. That seemed really wierd to me. And now someone is going to tell me that is actually important.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

appleman2006 wrote:So I am so far from being a mechanic that this thing fooled me until the end except for the part that it all seemed a little to easy. Except for one thing that had me scratching my head and that was the way he marked the timing belt. That seemed really wierd to me. And now someone is going to tell me that is actually important.
Yes, that is very important. :D As long as the bottom part of the engine wasn't turned while he did the repairs, he could put the belt back in the exact same location on the top pulley and the engine would still be in time. Otherwise he would have needed to re-time it.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

GaryK wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:So I am so far from being a mechanic that this thing fooled me until the end except for the part that it all seemed a little to easy. Except for one thing that had me scratching my head and that was the way he marked the timing belt. That seemed really wierd to me. And now someone is going to tell me that is actually important.
Yes, that is very important. :D As long as the bottom part of the engine wasn't turned while he did the repairs, he could put the belt back in the exact same location on the top pulley and the engine would still be in time. Otherwise he would have needed to re-time it.
It was a real repair job - but actually just to replace the head gasket. The rest was a spoof. I was dying laughing - had never seen any of this guy's videos before. What got me is how his voice & gestures reminded me so much of Steven Irwin (the guy from Australia). Apparently he also has some videos that are totally serious, then some others about stuff like "blinker fluid".
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:blinker fluid
I can't even find blinker fluid for my car. I hope it is still safe to drive ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote:
Neto wrote:blinker fluid
I can't even find blinker fluid for my car. I hope it is still safe to drive ...
I'm hearing blinker fluid helps fight COVID-19. That may explain why you can't find any.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

HA! My husband says I had a mechanical bypass....... I watched Neto's video partway through then scrolled down to read comments and they were laughing and saying what a good joke it was. So I watched the rest and tried to figure out what was fake. It looked like it was so easy to do.... that's one thing that isn't like real life!

The blinker fluid and tail light bearings are ones I've heard before!

Our boys watch his stuff to learn how to fix their vehicles.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

GaryK wrote:I'm hearing blinker fluid helps fight COVID-19. That may explain why you can't find any.
Actually, I think a lot of people are using it as a substitute for hand sanitizer. That's why you see so many people with flashing hands these days.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Somebody wrote:Our boys watch his stuff to learn how to fix their vehicles.
That's one great kind of education - learning how to find help on Youtube when you fix something. That's helped me feel less stupid on many occasions ...
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Somebody wrote:HA! My husband says I had a mechanical bypass....... I watched Neto's video partway through then scrolled down to read comments and they were laughing and saying what a good joke it was. So I watched the rest and tried to figure out what was fake. It looked like it was so easy to do.... that's one thing that isn't like real life!

The blinker fluid and tail light bearings are ones I've heard before!

Our boys watch his stuff to learn how to fix their vehicles.
This guy went all out. Faked the Owner's Manual, the trouble shooting device, made up fake parts boxes, etc. But the deal with the springs was the only fake thing in the video - I mean there is no such thing. But he really did repair the engine. All it needed was a new head gasket, and he DID point out the spot where it was blown. But honestly, it would take a person with some degree of mechanics experience to catch this one. The other deals, like blinker fluid, muffler belts, etc., are just dumb tricks to play of an unsuspecting friend, usually a person whose expertise is in a totally different area. This one is different, because it DOES look almost plausible.

I certainly didn't intend to make anyone feel bad. I saw it on a car site, and about laughed my head off (so to speak). So I looked for a spot to drop it in on MennoNet, and this is the thread that came up in my search. I should have put it in the "I think this is Funny" thread (or whatever it is called), so it would be more apparent that it was a joke.

I have also learned a lot from watching how-to videos. I replaced the transmission in our washer - couldn't have done it w/o a video on youtube, or at least it would have been much more difficult. (I always say that "I'll try anything once." Tried to repair an automobile transmission once, way back before the internet and all of that. I even had a repair manual. It said what diameter line punch should be used to drive back a certain shaft in the transmission. I didn't have one like that, but had one smaller. Couldn't see why that wouldn't work just as well. Well, as soon as I drove the shaft back out of the case, I found out why. A slew of very small pin bearings fell out all over the place inside the transmission - still with lots of heavy oil in it. I fiddled around, trying to get everything back in place, and it only got worse & worse, with one thing after another falling out of place. That transmission was a casualty - it was the end of it. (Fortunately we had an extra one.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.