Education - How much, what kind, and by what time?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Education - How much, what kind, and by what time?

Post by RZehr »

Neto wrote:I will say one thing for formal programs of study - it takes a great deal of motivation to learn fields of study in which you have no particular interest. So self-education, while effective for your areas of interest, will not generally lead to a well-rounded education.
I think this is a really good point. :up:
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote: Another factor:
Several studies have mentioned the delays in maturation among suburban young people; they are taking longer to mature in the social and emotional domains.
I wonder if the delay in maturity is because they aren't learning how to work at a young age. Perhaps if these young people worked a job instead of social media-ing, they would be better equipped emotionally to handle lifes responsibilities. I'd like to see child labor laws modified to be more accommodating.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Another factor:
Several studies have mentioned the delays in maturation among suburban young people; they are taking longer to mature in the social and emotional domains.
I wonder if the delay in maturity is because they aren't learning how to work at a young age. Perhaps if these young people worked a job instead of social media-ing, they would be better equipped emotionally to handle lifes responsibilities. I'd like to see child labor laws modified to be more accommodating.
I believe you are right.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

appleman2006 wrote:
Hats Off wrote:
Ernie wrote:
And when should this knowledge be obtained? Should it all happen by age 17?
Years ago my dad floated a model in which children would at age 14 would begin working 3 days a week and doing book learning three days a week. This work and apprenticing would happen under the oversight of trusted role models. The idea is that it would prepare teens for industry and responsibility while continuing to stimulate their minds.
Such a model would mean that "formal education" (as understood by the western world) might be extended to age 20.
I actually like this model and would like to see it attempted somewhere. There is much education that children miss in the traditional K-12 model.
Ernie, this is similar to the model I have often thought of and I think it is actually being put into practice by the Markham Waterloo Mennonite community. They have been running into problems with boys that want to apprentice as tradesmen but need high school education. I believe the boys come together one or more days a week, they spend some time studying on their own and I believe they also have some work time every week. If you are interested in specifics, i can find detailed information.
I have two major problems with that program. One is that it is only 1 day a week that they come together which is not enough to really be effective IMO. And the second is that it is only open to boys. I see that as a real problem.
There is another thread that talks about old sayings "You've got to learn to look before you learn to leap" (Or maybe that is a line from a song) anyhow it fits my thoughts at the moment. "It is bad enough that the boys get education, lets not start with the girls yet too. After all what good will it do them?" I actually agree with you, Appleman.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Hats Off wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
Hats Off wrote: Ernie, this is similar to the model I have often thought of and I think it is actually being put into practice by the Markham Waterloo Mennonite community. They have been running into problems with boys that want to apprentice as tradesmen but need high school education. I believe the boys come together one or more days a week, they spend some time studying on their own and I believe they also have some work time every week. If you are interested in specifics, i can find detailed information.
I have two major problems with that program. One is that it is only 1 day a week that they come together which is not enough to really be effective IMO. And the second is that it is only open to boys. I see that as a real problem.
There is another thread that talks about old sayings "You've got to learn to look before you learn to leap" (Or maybe that is a line from a song) anyhow it fits my thoughts at the moment. "It is bad enough that the boys get education, lets not start with the girls yet too. After all what good will it do them?" I actually agree with you, Appleman.
I was quite sure you would and that gives me a lot of hope.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

It is a start. My question always is - how does it work when you have an uneducated, inexperienced minister who really loves the Lord, but cannot speak to the more educated younger people. I have high school equivalent plus some college level - I normally don't think of my education as being any different from my father's - we both learned more from reading than from our formal education. But don't get your hopes too high - I am the odd man, I don't attract a large following! :D
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:It is a start. My question always is - how does it work when you have an uneducated, inexperienced minister who really loves the Lord, but cannot speak to the more educated younger people. I have high school equivalent plus some college level - I normally don't think of my education as being any different from my father's - we both learned more from reading than from our formal education. But don't get your hopes too high - I am the odd man, I don't attract a large following! :D
Good question:

I think we can find the answer by looking at the apostles, some of whom were educated and some who weren't. God uses them to deliver the message but it's the Holy Spirit that opens hearts to receive the message. All the effective preachers I've ever known fully submitted themselves in prayer to the Lord and asked for God to use them in edifying and building the Kingdom.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:It is a start. My question always is - how does it work when you have an uneducated, inexperienced minister who really loves the Lord, but cannot speak to the more educated younger people. I have high school equivalent plus some college level - I normally don't think of my education as being any different from my father's - we both learned more from reading than from our formal education. But don't get your hopes too high - I am the odd man, I don't attract a large following! :D
I think people get in trouble when they pretend to be experts where they are not. An "uneducated" minister may be very educated in ministry, prayer, waiting on God, counseling, or discipleship. But perhaps not in Greek syntax or economics.

There's a lot to be said for recognizing what is good in what you do know, and recognizing which things you do not know. What we know is always tiny compared to the vast amount that we do not know. We need to be OK with that.

And maybe we all need to get better at helping each other see what is of value in each other, while also helping each other ditch the status wars and false pretense.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Of course now-a-days you can learn a lot about different trades right on You's Tube....
Like auto mechanics - Replace your own Piston Return Springs! :laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFX_Xq9WHTI
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

We've had threads on education, higher education, etc. already.

My opinion? Depends on the person.

I personally think technical schools are under-rated. I also think entering the workforce at an earlier age is under-rated. College degrees are often over-rated. We, as a society, have replaced common sense with college degrees. Think about that a little.

I have a son that quit school after 8th grade. He is not a scholar. He is a tradesman. He can fix anything. I gave him free reign over all my tools, as he does more around the house than I do.

I have a daughter who is an absolute genius. As our children now go to public school, she was recommended to attend a private school where she can take college courses starting in 9th grade. If any of my children go to college, it will be her.

Again, depends on the person.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!