Global warming/climate change discussion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Global warming/climate change discussion

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote:Some posts are pushing the boundaries. Before you hit the "Submit" button, please read over your post and make sure you are not questioning or denigrating the qualifications, character, or motives of any individual or group.
Your subject title was too close to mine. I only realized I was in this thread after I made my previous post. I considered moving them, but thought that would be too confusing. I will move on now.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Robert wrote:
PeterG wrote:Some posts are pushing the boundaries. Before you hit the "Submit" button, please read over your post and make sure you are not questioning or denigrating the qualifications, character, or motives of any individual or group.
Your subject title was too close to mine. I only realized I was in this thread after I made my previous post. I considered moving them, but thought that would be too confusing. I will move on now.
Thanks for this reply. I don't remember noticing any boundary-pushing in your posts here, and if I had I would've assumed it was unintentional. No need to move your posts as far as I'm concerned.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

And just to be clear to everyone, I do believe that there's a place for questioning qualifications, character, and motivations. I just thought it would be productive for there to be a climate change discussion thread where such questioning wouldn't be a factor. It can be done elsewhere.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote: Thanks for this reply. I don't remember noticing any boundary-pushing in your posts here, and if I had I would've assumed it was unintentional. No need to move your posts as far as I'm concerned.
I often get snarky with Bootstrap. Kind of like two brothers going at it until someone else tries to go after one, then the other becomes quite protective. :lol:
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
A related question: why do Christians who are promoting the Kingdom of God feel compelled to take sides in the climate change discussion at all? Most of us are not scientists. Most of us cannot compare the arguments on both sides or evaluate the data behind them.

I think the scientists can. This really should be a question of what the data show. And that's hard to discuss in a lay setting.
Maybe because it is an opportunity to share that according to the Book of Revelations- global warming or climate change will not be the demise of the earth as we know it.

There will be a new heaven and a new earth- there's plenty of Scripture to share with global warming/climate change enthusiasts- not to say we shouldn't care about these things at all, but it is not our 'fear', it is the worlds fear, and we can share the truth.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:A related question: why do Christians who are promoting the Kingdom of God feel compelled to take sides in the climate change discussion at all? Most of us are not scientists. Most of us cannot compare the arguments on both sides or evaluate the data behind them.

I think the scientists can. This really should be a question of what the data show. And that's hard to discuss in a lay setting.
Maybe because it is an opportunity to share that according to the Book of Revelations- global warming or climate change will not be the demise of the earth as we know it.
I agree - global warming will not "destroy the earth as we know it". The IPCC reports do not say that it will, they do say there could be significant disruption that would have a cost.

I think it would be very hard for someone reading this thread to get a picture of what the IPCC reports actually say or the scientific basis for what they say. For the most part, we are having a conversation that is based neither on science nor on the Bible. And feelings are really, really strong.
Valerie wrote:There will be a new heaven and a new earth- there's plenty of Scripture to share with global warming/climate change enthusiasts- not to say we shouldn't care about these things at all, but it is not our 'fear', it is the worlds fear, and we can share the truth.
I agree that we can share about the new heaven and the new earth. And we should. We don't need to talk about climate change to do that.

But while we are here on the old earth, we are affected by what happens here. That said, I am not a scientist or a policymaker, and neither are most of the other people on this thread. But I think some people are more scared of the IPCC than I am of global warming, and I don't get that. I think a lot of this discussion is about that fear, not about what the IPCC is actually saying or the data behind what they are saying.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:A related question: why do Christians who are promoting the Kingdom of God feel compelled to take sides in the climate change discussion at all? Most of us are not scientists. Most of us cannot compare the arguments on both sides or evaluate the data behind them.

I agree - global warming will not "destroy the earth as we know it". The IPCC reports do not say that it will, they do say there could be significant disruption that would have a cost.

I think it would be very hard for someone reading this thread to get a picture of what the IPCC reports actually say or the scientific basis for what they say. For the most part, we are having a conversation that is based neither on science nor on the Bible. And feelings are really, really strong.
Valerie wrote:There will be a new heaven and a new earth- there's plenty of Scripture to share with global warming/climate change enthusiasts- not to say we shouldn't care about these things at all, but it is not our 'fear', it is the worlds fear, and we can share the truth.
I agree that we can share about the new heaven and the new earth. And we should. We don't need to talk about climate change to do that.

But while we are here on the old earth, we are affected by what happens here. That said, I am not a scientist or a policymaker, and neither are most of the other people on this thread. But I think some people are more scared of the IPCC than I am of global warming, and I don't get that. I think a lot of this discussion is about that fear, not about what the IPCC is actually saying or the data behind what they are saying.
I believe fear is at the heart of a lot of the discussion, whether climate change, Covid, the government response to Covid, politics, the global elite, and etc. Increasingly we are looking for deliverance, someone to fix things.
When we cry out, "who will deliver us from this present danger?" we don't look to God.
In other ways, we are like Israel in the wilderness, we want to go back to "normal". Our future is ahead of us, not behind us.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

PeterG wrote:This is the best conversation on global warming/climate change that I've come across.

Discuss.

Rules for this thread:
Do not post until you have completely listened to the discussion linked to above and/or completely read the transcripted excerpts linked to above.
Do not question or denigrate the qualifications, character, or motives of any individual or group.
Please use this thread to talk about data, evidence, etc. Talk about people's motivations in other threads. Thank you.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

My apologies, can the moderators please delete my last post.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:My apologies, can the moderators please delete my last post.
Or perhaps move Valerie's post, my response, and silent reader's response to a new thread?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?