Global warming/climate change discussion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Global warming/climate change discussion

Post by ohio jones »

Robert wrote:
ohio jones wrote: This is kind of a Lepus trail anyway, but I keep wondering if Robert was really talking about venus flytraps instead of Venus itself.
Reread my post. I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no idea why you would edit what I posted and make it look like I typed planets instead of plants. :P
Ah, the privileges of being a janitor with the key to the editing window. :)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
silentreader wrote:
PeterG wrote:What planet begins with T? :?:
Terra
You're on solid ground with that answer.
Yup, terra firma.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

PeterG wrote:
Robert wrote:Last winter we had -0F degrees most the winter. This winter we had +20F most the winter. Tell me why that is manageable by the environment, but a 10 degree change over 100 years is not.
This is a good question.
I'm not sure what "manageable by the environment" means, but my concern is mostly human suffering. Already we have heat waves where many people die. When the temperature changes like that, some places will change more, some less. Deadly heat waves would become more widespread, severe, and frequent. If most of last summer was 100°F and next year it is 120°F, you might visualize the problem better.

Models also show the result to be large areas of lower rainfall; places that are now farms will become barren. Maybe Siberia and Canada would become the breadbaskets for the world, but I cannot imagine a peaceful, orderly migration of much of the population of southern US and farther south to Canada, or India, China, and Bangladesh to Siberia.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

JimFoxvog wrote:Models also show the result to be large areas of lower rainfall; places that are now farms will become barren. Maybe Siberia and Canada would become the breadbaskets for the world, but I cannot imagine a peaceful, orderly migration of much of the population of southern US and farther south to Canada, or India, China, and Bangladesh to Siberia.
I have also seen models of much more rain in barren areas and a massive increase in plant life. This makes much more sense since we can look back at times when the ambient temperature was higher and this was the case.
JimFoxvog wrote:I'm not sure what "manageable by the environment"
Environment is the complete system. Animals, plants, planet and atmosphere. They all manage wide spans of variance now. For the ones who have a top limit, 100 years would give them plenty of time to migrate to acceptable climates.

Most suspect a 10 degree change, not 20. While 20 is manageable, I think 10 would be closer to the reality. I do not see this as a crisis. A 10 degree increase in temperature would increase food production immensely. It would solve more issues then caused by the higher temperature. Cheap electricity will easily cool those in higher temperature areas. Humans also get acclimatized to weather. We would continue to see this.

I actually think this is going to happen no matter if humans are around or not. I see this as a natural cycle that the earth has done multiple times. I am not saying humans are not adding to the change, I am sure we contribute some. I just do not see the change as detrimental. I also do not see it happening a lot faster than is "manageable by the environment."
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

ken_sylvania wrote:According to "Greenhouse gases and greenhouse effect," an article published by G. V. Chilingar et. al. in Environmental Geology, the increased concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere should actually result in a net cooling effect.
Here is a response to this paper from the same person that wrote the rebuttal to the other Chilingar et. al. paper that I linked to earlier. I'm pretty sure I have all my papers and responses properly matched up now.

And btw, I understand almost none of the stuff in these links. :?
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

JimFoxvog wrote:Models also show
Robert wrote:I have also seen models
Such as?
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:Most suspect a 10 degree change, not 20.
Most? Who is most? How can I see that "most" would agree with you?
Robert wrote:While 20 is manageable, I think 10 would be closer to the reality.
Why do you think that?
Robert wrote:I do not see this as a crisis. A 10 degree increase in temperature would increase food production immensely. It would solve more issues then caused by the higher temperature. Cheap electricity will easily cool those in higher temperature areas. Humans also get acclimatized to weather. We would continue to see this.
What is the best source of reliable information on what a 10 degree rise would mean? Are you talking Fahrenheit?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Seems a good time to revive this thread. Texas seems to be suffering from the opposite of warming. Is global warming to blame for -4° weather and frozen pipes?
0 x
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I'll be happy to see more activity in this thread. Just a quick reminder, since it's been a while—
PeterG wrote:This is the best conversation on global warming/climate change that I've come across.

Discuss.

Rules for this thread:
Do not post until you have completely listened to the discussion linked to above and/or completely read the transcripted excerpts linked to above.
Do not question or denigrate the qualifications, character, or motives of any individual or group.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Josh wrote:Seems a good time to revive this thread. Texas seems to be suffering from the opposite of warming. Is global warming to blame for -4° weather and frozen pipes?
Of course!

But remember Josh, it’s “Global Climate Change”, not global warming. That’s called “hedging your bets”.
1 x