Global warming/climate change discussion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Global warming/climate change discussion

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: I'm tempted to say that we need a thread where only people who have passed a basic comprehension test can participate.
It seems you already gave in to temptation- and said it- ;)
One of the reasons that the debate between Christy and Emanuel is informative and interesting is that they both understand the subject. Maybe it's more useful to discuss the opinions of informed scientists than to speculate with our own random non-expert assertions?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:According to "Greenhouse gases and greenhouse effect," an article published by G. V. Chilingar et. al. in Environmental Geology, the increased concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere should actually result in a net cooling effect.
Here's a rebuttal of that paper.

Here's a response to the rebuttal.
Did anyone read both of these? Would someone like to summarize? I read them quickly, but I would like to hear what others thought after reading them both.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:I'm tempted to say that we need a thread where only people who have passed a basic comprehension test can participate.
A test set by you to decide that certain things have to be accepted?

You make a wide jump that I do not comprehend and understand. I make statements that bring doubt to your positions. if your points were strong enough, they could stand against the doubt. Science is all about doubting the established concepts. It seems you want propaganda more than exploration. :P

Feel free to start any thread you want. I feel comfortable posting things that bring doubt into a theory I think is not strong enough to stand against the doubt. :wave:
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Bootstrap wrote:
PeterG wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:According to "Greenhouse gases and greenhouse effect," an article published by G. V. Chilingar et. al. in Environmental Geology, the increased concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere should actually result in a net cooling effect.
Here's a rebuttal of that paper.

Here's a response to the rebuttal.
Did anyone read both of these? Would someone like to summarize? I read them quickly, but I would like to hear what others thought after reading them both.
I browsed through them both, but in order to develop an opinion I would need to dig back through the sources they both cite. I wasn't real favorably impressed by the rebuttals criticism of the original paper's reliance on sources written in Russian, but it will take quite a bit of time to fact-check their assertion that the original paper relies on "facts" that have since been disproven.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Bootstrap wrote:I'm tempted to say that we need a thread where only people who have passed a basic comprehension test can participate.
Robert wrote:It seems you want propaganda more than exploration. :P
You're gettin' close to the edge here, folks (smiley notwithstanding).
PeterG wrote:Do not question or denigrate the qualifications, character, or motives of any individual or group.
Just sayin'. :)
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Robert wrote:Last winter we had -0F degrees most the winter. This winter we had +20F most the winter. Tell me why that is manageable by the environment, but a 10 degree change over 100 years is not.
This is a good question.
Last edited by PeterG on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Calling others stupid is right at the edge too. Just saying. :)
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote:
Robert wrote:Last winter we had -0F degrees most the winter. This winter we had +20F most the winter. Tell me why that is manageable by the environment, but a 10 degree change over 100 years is not.
This is a good question.
If you just take temperature alone, then it is easy to make this appear as critical. The reality is a higher ambient temperature will increase water vapor, which will increase plant life, which will increase co2 conversion.

One thing that really surprised many scientists is that plant life has increased dramatically over the past 40 years. Even with the deforestation, planet wide, there has been in increase. One possible, and likely, reason is plants have more to eat. They eat co2. More plant life means more food for us since we eat plants. Better for the poor in this world who are struggling to feed their families.

10-20 degrees over 100 years allows for any migratory change or move to more agreeable climates of animals and plants. Forests burn down and are completely regrown in 20-40 years. 100 years is not a big issue.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Robert wrote:One possible, and likely, reason is planets have more to eat.
My very educated mother just served them noodles. She used to serve nine pickles, but there's one less mouth to feed these days.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Peter, could we have some guidance? What are we discussing? We seem to be moving past discussing the Christy / Emanuel papers, but I don't know what we have moved on to. I think we need some direction so we don't just fall back into the kind of discussion we have on this topic in other threads.
0 x