Hymn Singing - My Roots

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Hymn Singing - My Roots

Post by Sudsy »

This is a thread to share a link to or provide a sample of the type of hymn singing you had in your youth. For some it may be the same as you have now. For others of us it is a big change.

Recently I was referred to a style of hymn singing that I grew up in and amazing to me it was not from a Pentecostal church but rather a Salvation Army Corps in Conception Bay Newfoundland, Canada.

Here is a sample and like my Pentecostal roots it was a Sunday evening service -

This is about as close to my roots as I have found and I really enjoy the many services of this church on Youtube.

Feel free to share a sample of the hymn singing you were raised in.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Hymn Singing - My Roots

Post by ohio jones »

This is the favorite song of one of our choristers from years ago. We usually didn't sound quite this professional, but the style is similar.

2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:53 pm This is the favorite song of one of our choristers from years ago. We usually didn't sound quite this professional, but the style is similar.

Beautiful ! An Irish preacher once put it this way - 'On Christ the solid rock I stand all other rocks are shamrocks'
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I recall as a little boy going to bed but the downstairs was full of people drunk and partying. They would some times crank this song. It’s about the closest you could say I got to hymns growing up.

1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

NedFlanders wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:39 am I recall as a little boy going to bed but the downstairs was full of people drunk and partying. They would some times crank this song. It’s about the closest you could say I got to hymns growing up.

NedFlanders, you got my curiosity aroused when you described your boyhood environment especially when I see you identify as a CA. If you have placed your story on how you ended up as a CA somewhere on this forum I would like to read it. If not, would you share it with us in a new thread I'm starting for those not raised as born again Christians. New thread called 'Not Raised Christian'.

My 8 years older sister remembers us having a similar environment as you described in our home but just after I was born, over a couple years, both my parents became Christ followers. I only recall being in a Christian home and occasionally she would tell me how my parents lived prior to their conversion and I could hardly believe what she told me. I haven't heard many testimonies of Conservative Anabaptists who did not grow up in a Christian home although I suspect there are some.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

This year our family sang through the Church Hymnal, which is one of the hymnals that I grew up with. We kept track of which songs we knew, and just sang those. Turns out that we know 47% of them, 311/657.
Last year we did the Life Songs, which is another one we grew up with. That one we knew 63%, or 215/343.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:44 pm This year our family sang through the Church Hymnal, which is one of the hymnals that I grew up with. We kept track of which songs we knew, and just sang those. Turns out that we know 47% of them, 311/657.
Last year we did the Life Songs, which is another one we grew up with. That one we knew 63%, or 215/343.
That's great. I think our church should do something like this.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:44 pm This year our family sang through the Church Hymnal, which is one of the hymnals that I grew up with. We kept track of which songs we knew, and just sang those. Turns out that we know 47% of them, 311/657.
I grew up with a similar tradition. We sang straight through the hymnal, even the unfamiliar songs. It sharpens your sight reading skills if nothing else.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

barnhart wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:55 pm
I grew up with a similar tradition. We sang straight through the hymnal, even the unfamiliar songs. It sharpens your sight reading skills if nothing else.
Try that with the Christian Hymnary some time. :)
0 x