Best Fast Food Chicken Sandwich Is Popeyes.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Best chicken sandwich is....

Total votes: 0

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Best Fast Food Chicken Sandwich Is Popeyes.

Post by RZehr »

Few years ago I discovered that I really liked Chick-fil-A’s sandwiches. We didn’t have them in Oregon, and I ate one at the Denver airport. It was by far the best I’d had, there was no second, only a few distant thirds. I then would buy one in Denver whenever I traveled through.

Then the Popeyes war came along. As a new Chick-fil-A convert, I was very certain it was the best. Again, we didn’t have a Popeyes but I tried one in Missouri. Much to my surprise, it was markedly better than Chick-fil-A. And I get a Popeyes whenever I can.

It is embarrassing how poor of service Popeyes has. I have come to regularly experience slow service, out of product, wrong orders, early closings, etc, to the point of fully expecting something to be wrong every time I go there. In fact the last 4 times in a row, at 4 different restaurants, there was something haywire about every experience. But the food is amazing.
The sandwich meat is thick, moist, and flavorful with a great tasting, sufficient batter with nice crunch. The sauce is great. The pickles are perfect, nice size and amount.

This is a poll to determine who has the best chicken sandwich. I have not tried Churches, Canes, Culvers, Checkers. But since they all start with C, I’ll include them.

I hope I’m not on Steve’s turf with this food poll.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Best Fast Food Chicken Sandwich Is Popeyes.

Post by QuietlyListening »

My oldest and her husband recently did a taste test of chicken sandwiches in our area
Chick fil A- ended up their favorite- sandwich good and no sauce but pickles
Popeyes- ok but didn't like the sauce
Burger King- didn't like
McDonald's - sandwich/chicken pretty good but way way way too much mayo
Wendy's- middle of the pack.

Those were ones they tried.

I love chick fil a's chicken- still my favorite.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

After living for over a decade in the south I can honestly say that by far the best fried chicken is from the south because there is just so much of it and the competition is just so fierce. In Waco I probably passed at least a dozen fried chicken places on the one mile drive to work (and a bunch of BBQ, burger, and TexMex joints). Here in the Vancouver area there is a Popeyes, KFC, and Chick-fil-A within driving distance and that is about it. The density of fried chicken joints is about 20-times lower than in Texas. Asian restaurants are far more common.

in any event, the best chicken sandwiches are those that are from actual chicken restaurants like Popeyes, and Chick-fil-A because they are the joints that know how to properly cook deep fried breaded chicken

My favorite of all of them is Zaxby's which I think is only in the south: https://www.zaxbys.com/

They also have things like fried dill Pickles which are worth the visit

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Chick-fil-A is the best I've tried by far. I've only gotten something from Popeyes once or twice, and that was many years ago. It didn't make any particular impression. Sounds like I should try a Popeye's sandwich when I get a chance.

The McChicken is my go-to cheap fast food. I've tried the dollar menu chicken sandwiches from Wendy's and Burger King, and they're fine, but the McChicken is better. I had an Original Chicken Sandwich from Burger King once and didn't like it. The unusual oblong shape was fine, but the meat was juicy in a weird artificial way.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I haven't tried Popeyes for years, based on the food rather than the service the few times I did try it. Chick-fil-A has consistently good food and service, but alas no stores in my vicinity. I do rather like the BK Original Chicken.
QuietlyListening wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 pm McDonald's - sandwich/chicken pretty good but way way way too much mayo
Maybe the McChicken, but the Crispy Chicken Classic is unmayoed (and somewhat unimpressive).
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Beyond KFC, we don't have any chicken places within reasonable driving distance. If I'm craving chicken, our local Hardee's makes some good sandwiches but expect to shell out $10.

Interestingly, if I want some plain fried chicken, Giant Foods has a hot table with 8-piece trays to go... its hard to beat for the money!
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Chick-Fil-A is the best when it comes to quality, customer service, and values in my opinion. Although In-N-Out doesn't have chicken, I feel the same way about them when it comes to fast food burgers.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 am Beyond KFC, we don't have any chicken places within reasonable driving distance.
Just found out yesterday that the local KFC is closed Mondays, and they shut down at 7 pm the rest of the week. Staff shortages.
Apparently people are too chicken to work there.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

When in the south I like Bojangles. I don't know that it is better than Zaxbys. I like chicken and think they are both good.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

PeterG wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm
The McChicken is my go-to cheap fast food. I've tried the dollar menu chicken sandwiches from Wendy's and Burger King, and they're fine, but the McChicken is better.
As much as I deplore our local McDonalds, I will agree that the McChicken is one of the only decent things on the menu. The 20-piece nuggets may come close to a tie, though.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!