Questionnaire for folks who are Pro-Refugee

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Questionnaire for folks who are Pro-Refugee

Post by Ernie »

It seems to me that most people who are "pro-refugee" wouldn't be willing to live sacrificially if too many refugees ended up making them live at poverty level, and would not be pro-refugee if the refugees posed some threat to the security or the religious freedoms of their country.

True Christians over the centuries have given whatever they had to needy refugees regardless of what impact it had on their standard of living, their security, and their religious norms.

This thread is for listing questions or proposing tests for those who are pro-refugee, that could help reveal whether they are truly willing to suffer and sacrifice in behalf of refugees, or whether they are just slightly more friendly toward refugees than those who don't appear to be pro-refugee.

I ask that there be no arguments or going after each other on this thread.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Questionnaire for folks who are Pro-Refugee

Post by Ernie »

1. Do you like that your country/region has a cap on the number of refugees that can come into your region? Explain.
2. If you lived in a country that had no cap, would you support putting a cap in place? Explain.
3. If you lived in a country that had no cap, and refugees needed something that you have, at what point would you say, "no" to their request?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

In my opinion Luke 6:30 says a great deal as does Jesus' reply to the question "who is my neighbor?"
Luke 10:30-37.

I'm not interested in getting involved with the government's circus and monkeys. I have no difficulty finding someone to help everyday. They aren't a statistical demographic, rather they're God's children in need.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I would be for open immigration for all. Having said that...not sure how much of "my stuff" I would be willing to give away...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:1. Do you like that your country/region has a cap on the number of refugees that can come into your region? Explain.
2. If you lived in a country that had no cap, would you support putting a cap in place? Explain.
3. If you lived in a country that had no cap, and refugees needed something that you have, at what point would you say, "no" to their request?
What about those of us who don't vote and don't think it's our place to tell Caesar to either remove or impose a cap?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

There already definitely a cap in place. Recently, there was an attempt to stop admitting refugees entirely. That's what I objected to.

I probably spent 18 hours helping refugees last week, but I doubt the average voter in the United States would ever go for anything that might result in the level of sacrifice that Ernie is asking about. People in Turkey, Greece, and Lebanon are currently helping refugees at a much more sacrificial level. I'd be in favor of that, but right now the issue is whether we admit refugees at all.

Should there be any cap? Typically what happens in a refugee situation is that countries negotiate how to deal with refugees as an international community so that the entire burden does not fall on one or two countries, which are typically poor neighboring countries. Part of that involves discussing what is a fair share of the burden for each country. I think that's a good process.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote:3. If you lived in a country that had no cap, and refugees needed something that you have, at what point would you say, "no" to their request?
This is something we're wrestling with, actually. Some of us want to give laptops to the refugees, the agency we are working with strongly discourages large gifts or giving money because they think it creates dependency. In general, we seem to be willing to give more than they want us to.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Ernie wrote:3. If you lived in a country that had no cap, and refugees needed something that you have, at what point would you say, "no" to their request?
This is something we're wrestling with, actually. Some of us want to give laptops to the refugees, the agency we are working with strongly discourages large gifts or giving money because they think it creates dependency. In general, we seem to be willing to give more than they want us to.
A lot of people in Southern California who couldn't afford to buy homes in the 80's because the interest rate had gone sky high, were somewhat resentful that the Viet Nam refugees/immigrants were offered low interest rates and received so much help, that they were able to buy homes when others could not. I think a lot of people are mindful of the advantages given to foreigners (and some who enter illegally- as I lived in S. California 34 years and saw much of this between Mexicans, Vietnamese and so we saw the government giving advantages to those who came here, who had not been contributing to the economy and paying taxes- yet were given so many handouts and able to actually buy homes when others could not. So there was a lot of sacrificing going on because not only do we pay taxes that help towards these things, but we are not given the advantages that many refugees get- (at least that is what happened in the past)

I am for helping refugees. The 'ban' our President put on was TEMPORARY and he is addressing those entering in ILLEGALLY- so I support that-

I would say- I am for helping refugees- we have only so far been able to help monetarily-
I am for a cap because it doesn't help the 'whole' if we end up overextending ourselves- I think there needs to be wisdom in distribution- the other countries you mention boot- are much closer to these refugees and much more realistic in terms of helping them- and perhaps those same countries have not overextended themselves like we have to the vast number of immigrants these last 2 centuries where we have people from all over the world- have and come to America- we are a nation with a horribly high national debt-
I am for sacrificing to the point of giving up our own comforts to help others- but not to the point where we make it to easy for people to become welfare recipients.
I personally believe the best thing is to distribute the refugees among countries closer to the culture, and would be much less expensive to help them start over-

Just thinking out loud here. Kind of like the early church? Sell everything and distribute to those who have needs- I don't necessarily see that is what people are doing, nor willing to do- am I? I am not sure- If I was convinced that America was the best place for these people- I would be leaning more in that direction.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote:1. Do you like that your country/region has a cap on the number of refugees that can come into your region? Explain.
Yes. I think it would be extremely disruptive to not have a cap. If things are getting out of control or needs are not being met or something, then maybe the influx should be stopped or slowed until the region is capable of receiving more.
Ernie wrote: 2. If you lived in a country that had no cap, would you support putting a cap in place? Explain.
As long as things were going well without a cap, then I wouldn't be the person asking for a cap. If things were going poorly, I'd be for a cap. But either way, its not my business. You're only asking my opinion.
Ernie wrote: 3. If you lived in a country that had no cap, and refugees needed something that you have, at what point would you say, "no" to their request?
I'm not sure.
Is this a collective asking by the refugees, such as asking for the right to vote? If its a collective asking, then I'm not sure what my level of involvement should be between them and out government.
If it is a personal asking, then I think I would say no when my family is suffering. Suffering, not sacrificing. I live on a farm. So if there was 1,000 refugee people camping in my field, I would feel mighty guilty if I didn't open my home, shop, barn to some of them. But I'll admit, I would be looking at this situation as a temporary thing. If it was permanent, I don't know what I'd do.

Last Friday morning I got a call from a person I know very well. The last two years he has been drifting, homeless, addicted to marijuana, his wife divorced him took the kids and moved across the country. In and out of jail.
He asked me to come to town and buy him breakfast. I did that, put him in an empty house I own (not the house I live in). He ate at our table, used our shower, & laundry. This morning sometime I'll take him to a bus station.

If I had 1,000 of these people at my door step I couldn't hardly leave for work. Without work/income, I would have to join them.

I don't know what the big, hypothetical answers are. But I know the least we can do, is what is in front of us to do.
0 x