Post by RZehr »

Brno!
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: For Ohio Jones

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:tomorrow, i'll be making a veg-beef soup, i've got the ingredients, looking fwd to it.
How was the soup?
i finally got it started this morning.
hopefully, there will be enough to last a few days. started with browning beef, onions, garlic in olive oil, so aromatic. crockpot, so, it will take its time today.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
temporal1 wrote:tomorrow, i'll be making a veg-beef soup, i've got the ingredients, looking fwd to it.
How was the soup?
i finally got it started this morning.
hopefully, there will be enough to last a few days. started with browning beef, onions, garlic in olive oil, so aromatic. crockpot, so, it will take its time today.
I love veg-beef soup ... do you use potatoes in it?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:Brno!
Was that the winning location? What are you doing in Brno? One of the companies I worked for had a small group of developers there.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote: I love veg-beef soup ... do you use potatoes in it?
not like my mother did, or i did in the past .. diabetes says, "no." :) for me, each time, it's a little different. this time, 2# cubed beef, browned with onion+garlic, 2# baby carrots, 2 smallish red potatoes, lots of celery, later, i'll add cabbage, broccoli, peas. this time, i'm planning to use beef broth and diced tomatoes, to make it more soup than stew.

when my house was full, i made it a heartier combination, more of a stew.
it's so versatile. i don't spare the carrots, tho! lol. years ago, i decided to weight it with carrots more than potatoes. today, potatoes are an indulgent treat.

i keep the more tender veggies out, add them in as i use it, to keep them from being over cooked.
my mother never did that. i discovered, by doing that, each meal tasted fresh! as days passed by.

this will make a lot for me. i "got a taste" for it recently, so, i'm acting on it. some will go in the freezer. it will last.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:
Was that the winning location? What are you doing in Brno? One of the companies I worked for had a small group of developers there.
I was trying to decide how to split three days between Bratislava and Vienna, when a hotel sale directed my attention to Brno. I'm glad it did, it's an interesting place. I would have liked at least one more day in each city, though.

Brno has an interesting history as well, if I remember it correctly. Early in the Thirty Years War, it was robbed of its vowels by rival Moravian city Olomouc. A few years later, at the Battle of Vanna White Mountain, fortunes turned and it was able to buy one of them back. :geek:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:I was trying to decide how to split three days between Bratislava and Vienna, when a hotel sale directed my attention to Brno. I'm glad it did, it's an interesting place. I would have liked at least one more day in each city, though.
And the question turtles ... so why Bratislava and Vienna? What were you doing? Did you hear any Gypsy bands in Bratislava or see the castle while you were there? I was pulled over in Bratislava by a corrupt cop who wanted a bribe once ...
ohio jones wrote:Brno has an interesting history as well, if I remember it correctly. Early in the Thirty Years War, it was robbed of its vowels by rival Moravian city Olomouc. A few years later, at the Battle of Vanna White Mountain, fortunes turned and it was able to buy one of them back. :geek:
Are you aware of the Clinton Administration's efforts in this regard?
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ohio jones wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
I was trying to decide how to split three days between Bratislava and Vienna, when a hotel sale directed my attention to Brno. I'm glad it did, it's an interesting place. I would have liked at least one more day in each city, though.

Brno has an interesting history as well, if I remember it correctly. Early in the Thirty Years War, it was robbed of its vowels by rival Moravian city Olomouc. A few years later, at the Battle of Vanna White Mountain, fortunes turned and it was able to buy one of them back. :geek:
Grrroannn. That's almost too much to handle on a Saturday afternoon.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:And the question turtles ...
So does the answer. Extremely pokey.

My latest culinary adventure involves an Italian restaurant. I'll post more
about it in a few days when I've recovered.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

ohio jones wrote:My latest culinary adventure involves an Italian restaurant. I'll post more about it in a few days when I've recovered.
I heard this place was quite popular, and reservations should be made very early. So a couple months ago when the November reservations were scheduled to become available, I set my alarm for 3:30 in the morning. By the time I propped my eyelids open and navigated their web site, it was 3:45 a.m. and I was able to get the very last slot for the date and time I wanted. Whew.

So then I read the fine print and started to wonder how this was going to work.
-- The 12 Euros for the booking doesn't actually include any food, that just gets you in the door.
-- They give you 15 minutes. I'm a slow eater, but later I heard that the average person takes 12 minutes to eat a meal. So maybe that's okay. But I decided to take a doggy bag, just in case.
-- They allow 30 reservations for each time slot, but there are only 13 place settings. Apparently there's a fairly high rate of no-shows, but ... :shock:

... to be continued
0 x