Plain School Teachers Needed

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Plain School Teachers Needed

Post by RZehr »

Looking for two high quality school teachers for the 2017-2018 school year to teach at a new school at a small, new Western Fellowship church plant in central Oregon.
Also looking for teachers for large, established Western Fellowship church in western Oregon.
Obviously they would need to be member in good standing at an intermediate conservative church or something similar.
PM me any nominations.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Plain School Teachers Needed

Post by temporal1 »

wondering how things are going .. 2017-2018 is coming to a close. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Everywhere I go there is a shortage of schoolteachers, which is interesting as I keep hearing complaints there are too many single girls and not enough guys pursuing marriage with them.

I blame shrinking family sizes.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:Everywhere I go there is a shortage of schoolteachers, which is interesting as I keep hearing complaints there are too many single girls and not enough guys pursuing marriage with them.

I don't get this. Seems to me the percentage of teachers needed would correlate to the number of pupils and the number of male suitors.

In my estimation, in communities where there are too many single girls, the communities are not making Christianity attractive to the young men. If a community has church the way Jesus intends, I think there will be plenty of young men around including those who grew up in the community.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:Everywhere I go there is a shortage of schoolteachers, which is interesting as I keep hearing complaints there are too many single girls and not enough guys pursuing marriage with them.

I don't get this. Seems to me the percentage of teachers needed would correlate to the number of pupils and the number of male suitors.

In my estimation, in communities where there are too many single girls, the communities are not making Christianity attractive to the young men. If a community has church the way Jesus intends, I think there will be plenty of young men around including those who grew up in the community.
I’ve looked into this a fair bit, limited to just my own circles (fundamental/progressive-, moderate-, and intermediate-conservative).

(1) Significantly more young men die in accidents.

(2) Slightly more born-Anabaptist young men leave than young women.

(3) Young men seem to be slightly more comfortable marrying into a more or a less conservative church. Women seem to slightly prefer to stay where they are at instead of marry a more conservative guy and adapt to his church.

(4) Many communities aren’t bringing in enough outsiders which is a reliable source of more young men. When they do bring them in they aren’t integrated well, or the young men don’t want to submit to the group norms. Often young men who are outsiders aren’t very trusted since they are much more willing to leave the community, so after a wave of this happens, there is a lot less trust in the future. As far as I can tell, a wave or two of this is what has led to Anabaptists becoming so isolationist, based on my observations of it happening right now or learning of happened 10 or 20 years ago.

(5) A substantial and growing amount of young men seem to be becoming content with never getting married, even though they stay in church. Often they do ask or date a few girls in church but those girls don’t want to marry them, particularly in less-conservative settings. Eventually the young man moves on and accepts a single life.

I do not see these problems going away anytime soon; the aforementioned groups will simply continue to source their population from ultra-conservative and from Old Order groups.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:I don't get this. Seems to me the percentage of teachers needed would correlate to the number of pupils and the number of male suitors.

My solution to this is to simply focus on bringing as many men into the kingdom as possible (and all of us men should probably have a similar focus).

Major obstacles are that our churches are so family or relationship oriented. It’s disorienting for a young man to enter that world. We don’t have a social category for a young man who has neither parents in church nor a wife. If we would fix this, we would get a lot more young men, and they’d stay, too.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

temporal1 wrote:wondering how things are going .. 2017-2018 is coming to a close. :)
We had 4 teachers this year, 24 students grades 1-11. Tomorrow is our last day of school for the year.

We had a big problem this year in with disrespect etc. with the highest grade room. This teacher is not returning next year and we are looking for a teacher for that room.

We have one student who needs a teacher of his own. His teacher this year has a boyfriend and is not returning either. So we are looking for a teacher to teach this one student next year.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

My children are all grown and married, but it is my understanding from various sources that the young men are asking the young ladies for dates but are being turned down because the young ladies are not ready to be "tied down" to marriage. Is anyone else seeing this? If this is the case, Why?

Perhaps this is a subject for another thread.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Ernie wrote:

Around here at least, the biggest problem is insufficient wages.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote:

My children are all grown and married, but it is my understanding from various sources that the young men are asking the young ladies for dates but are being turned down because the young ladies are not ready to be "tied down" to marriage. Is anyone else seeing this? If this is the case, Why?

Perhaps this is a subject for another thread.
All three of my unmarried daughters are teaching presently. All three are on their own and trying to make a living at teaching. None of them are out hunting for partners and seem to be finding fulfillment. They do enjoy their freedom, I've noticed. But I think that in some cases at least, girls are wanting the security of dating someone they feel has something to offer them, spiritually. We've had several incidents in our family where it seemed that something was about to work out, then the boy made some stupid moves that indicated his lack of maturity and spiritual backbone. That finished it in a hurry.

I think there are girls around who are staying single for selfish reasons. But in the west at least there is a singular shortage of young men with the spiritual backbone that interests girls.
0 x