Is it time to abandon New Orleans altogether?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Re: Is it time to abandon New Orleans altogether?

Post by Sunbeam »

Ernie wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:Well, if risk of calamity it the criterion for abandoning a place, New Orleans is only one a number that need to be abandoned. :-|
Wow. What happened? Welcome back!
I peruse now and then, and occasionally I fail to keep my mouth shut. :wave:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sunbeam wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:Well, if risk of calamity it the criterion for abandoning a place, New Orleans is only one a number that need to be abandoned. :-|
Wow. What happened? Welcome back!
Sunbeam, I always appreciate your perspective. I agree there are quite a few areas that are prone to high numbers of calamities. Most of them seem to be on the coastal regions too. West Coast has its earthquakes. Gulf and East Coasts have their hurricanes.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

MaxPC wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:
Ernie wrote: Wow. What happened? Welcome back!
Sunbeam, I always appreciate your perspective. I agree there are quite a few areas that are prone to high numbers of calamities. Most of them seem to be on the coastal regions too. West Coast has its earthquakes. Gulf and East Coasts have their hurricanes.
I believe the second most vulnerable city in the country after New Orleans is Tampa/St Pete. Tampa Bay is an almost perfectly designed geographic funnel to concentrate and amplify storm surge coming from the right direction and put the whole region underwater. They have just been very lucky in the past 100 years never to have a hurricane strike from the right (or wrong) direction. A Cat 5 hurricane striking Tampa from the SW would put much of the city under 20+ ft of water and would devastate much of Sarasota as well, where many Mennonites live. https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... ange-tampa

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

7.5 quake in Alaska yesterday. Anchorage usually has a number of small quakes. This epicenter is +400 miles off the peninsula.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God