Unaffiliated Mennonite Churches

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Unaffiliated Mennonite Churches

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I've noticed a substantial portion of the Mennonite churches in my area are "unaffiliated". These churches appear to have no individual websites and their independence rules out a conference website that would hold any info. All they have is a phone number.

What, typically, characterizes unaffiliated congregations? More conservative or more liberal? What, if anything, sets them apart? How is one supposed to find anything out about these groups?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Unaffiliated Mennonite Churches

Post by Ernie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I've noticed a substantial portion of the Mennonite churches in my area are "unaffiliated". These churches appear to have no individual websites and their independence rules out a conference website that would hold any info. All they have is a phone number.

What, typically, characterizes unaffiliated congregations? More conservative or more liberal? What, if anything, sets them apart? How is one supposed to find anything out about these groups?
You must visit them or talk to someone who knows them. Typically they have 2 or more congregations they relate to closely and some of these may be part of a conference or fellowship.

Unaffiliated encompasses the whole spectrum from Old Order to Gay inclusion churches so there is no way of knowing without doing some research or visits.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Ernie wrote: Typically they have 2 or more congregations they relate to closely and some of these may be part of a conference or fellowship.
Makes sense.. I noticed they were "clustered" in a small area that also has a conservative church.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Ernie wrote: Typically they have 2 or more congregations they relate to closely and some of these may be part of a conference or fellowship.
Makes sense.. I noticed they were "clustered" in a small area that also has a conservative church.
Its possible that I used to live in the area you are referring to. Mountain View?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Ernie wrote:Its possible that I used to live in the area you are referring to. Mountain View?
Bingo!
0 x