Poll: Dennis Miller, stand-up comedy

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Dennis Miller, stand-up comedy

Total votes: 0

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Poll: Dennis Miller, stand-up comedy

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:This will make some heads explode, but Tim Hawkins has some real talent:

are you also musical?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

temporal1 wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:This will make some heads explode, but Tim Hawkins has some real talent:

are you also musical?
No. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. When I sing, small children cry. My mom was a church organist back in the day, though 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:
temporal1 wrote: i can’t tell. are you saying you like John M’s work?

i’ve only seen the brief clip, i no longer view SNL. even when i enjoyed SNL, there were always parts that were not funny, vulgar, etc.
i told myself, it would be hard to fill 1 weekly hour with comedy, so, “filler.” :?
i would have no idea which parts John M would write.
This really should be a thread all in its own, but I am still laying the groundwork for the new-and-improved headcovering thread... so this may have to wait.

I like to see people laugh. I like to make them laugh. I also like to see other comedian's work. John is a genius when it comes to improv comedy. I know of several sketches he wrote for SNL and they were pure genius. Go ahead and judge. I'm not saying I want to be the next Tim Hawkins but the old saying that "laughter is the best medicine" holds true sometimes and I firmly believe it can be done in a way that glorifies God. If humor can dig a person out of depression, drug addiction or some other chaos in their life, I'm all for it.
You may have noticed, Robert’s “I think it is funny” thread is one of the most active.
There is a lot of funny on this forum. Without vulgarity, profanity, blasphemy, etc. i guess that’s a big question for me.

In the past, i noticed myself going to “the funny” thread, esp after posting something serious.
Occasionally, on this forum, levity is questioned. That’s something i only partly understand.

One thing. Most of us teach our children to be cautious with humor. Esp that, if it’s directed to or about another person, and they don’t see it as humorous, that’s important, humor failed. Then it can become bullying or other.

There are different aspects to what makes comedy work, what is healthy.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Just thinking. i’ve read, over years, noted in medical science, both humor and faith are helpful to patient healing and recovery. Not confined to Christians, but people “of faith” are reported to do better.

i was deeply grateful for faith, and humor, when caring for my husband, and mother.
i believe these things allowed them great quality of daily life throughout their illnesses.
in spite of the hard days.
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville

temporal1 wrote: There are different aspects to what makes comedy work, what is healthy.
Making fun of other people is just wrong. Tim Hawkins takes jabs at homeschoolers as a collective group, and various church denominations, but he does it in good taste.
0 x

temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:
temporal1 wrote: There are different aspects to what makes comedy work, what is healthy.
Making fun of other people is just wrong. Tim Hawkins takes jabs at homeschoolers as a collective group, and various church denominations, but he does it in good taste.
There are rules, some hard to nail down. Across cultures and languages, comedy is hard to translate.
On MD, Robert and George indulged in frequent bantering, back+forth. It was specific, and successful. It’s not always wrong. But it’s wrong if not a 2-way street. There must be a level of consent, or, it fails. If it continues, then it becomes negative, even bullying.

We are complex beings. :mrgreen:
0 x

UNKNOWN
steve-in-kville

Hawkins.. the tweet song:

0 x

Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

temporal1 wrote:Just thinking. i’ve read, over years, noted in medical science, both humor and faith are helpful to patient healing and recovery. Not confined to Christians, but people “of faith” are reported to do better.

i was deeply grateful for faith, and humor, when caring for my husband, and mother.
i believe these things allowed them great quality of daily life throughout their illnesses.
glutathione
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

Aaron wrote:
temporal1 wrote:Just thinking. i’ve read, over years, noted in medical science, both humor and faith are helpful to patient healing and recovery. Not confined to Christians, but people “of faith” are reported to do better.

glutathione

"quality ", "accuracy", "truth", where can it be found today ? anywhere ? nowhere ? why so rare ?

What does every disease have in common ?

hint: inflammation.

What does anyone's normal healthy body do whenever it is allergic to something ?

hint: inflammation.

What does anyone's normal healthy body use to reduce inflammation ?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Truth is still available today in the same quantities as the past It is not running out as a non renewable natural resource. It’s just that there is today, much more lies, chaff being produced and efficiently disseminated. When we regularly tap into the internet and consume vast quantities of media and political lies and conspiracies on a constant basis, truth does seem rare. You’re looking in the wrong places. Protein and vitamins are rare in a candy store. Don’t fuss to the proprietor. Leave the candy store. Or in this case, more like the manure pile.
0 x