Horse Diapers and Freedom of Religion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Horse Diapers and Freedom of Religion

Post by ken_sylvania »

Adam wrote:I was surprised to read that two Amish men are suing the city. My understanding was that Conservative Anabaptists did not go to court, or is just that they don't take Christian brothers and sisters to court?
From what I can understand, the Amish (Lancaster/Lebanon/Berks Co.) don't see suing at the law as a violation of non-resistance. They refrain from suing their own, but there have been cases of them suing even Weaverland Conference Mennonites. Those among them doing construction are willing to place liens on property if they don't get paid for their work.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Two Amish men in Auburn, Ky., filed a lawsuit last month saying a city ordinance requiring horses to wear equine diapers—bags designed to catch manure—violated the ability of Amish residents to exercise their religion.
What is their religious objection? This is a city ordinance, and horse manure in a city is a little different than horse manure in a rural area.
Josh wrote:At least the ecosystem of horses and manure is designed to be sustainable. Asphalt roads, the oil industry, the automobile industry, and polluting our atmosphere isn't sustainable.
Horses and manure are sustainable in cities? I'm not so sure.

http://www.nyhistory.org/community/horse-manure
http://www.banhdc.org/archives/ch-hist-19711000.html
https://fee.org/articles/the-great-hors ... s-of-1894/
http://buffalonews.com/2015/11/08/anoth ... olar-city/

Would they have an objection to cleaning up after their dogs?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It looked to me like they're defending themselves against being prosecuted for violating the ordinance. That's a bit different.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote:
There are always progressives who will find a way to "punish" non-progressives. They can't go on and do their own thing in peace. They try to put pressure on everyone else to conform to their new ideas.
Not to change the subject too much but would you not agree that in our circles at least, that the following statement might be even more common?
There are always non-progressives who will find a way to "punish" progressives. They can't go on and do their own thing in peace. They try to put pressure on everyone else to conform to their old ideas.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:
There are always progressives who will find a way to "punish" non-progressives. They can't go on and do their own thing in peace. They try to put pressure on everyone else to conform to their new ideas.
Not to change the subject too much but would you not agree that in our circles at least, that the following statement might be even more common?
There are always non-progressives who will find a way to "punish" progressives. They can't go on and do their own thing in peace. They try to put pressure on everyone else to conform to their old ideas.
Yes.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

Ernie wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Yes.
:D aah, and here I was hoping for a good debate. ;)
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Fascinating: I never would have guessed that horse diapers would generate two pages of commentaries.
:rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
appleman2006

Post by appleman2006 »

MaxPC wrote:Fascinating: I never would have guessed that horse diapers would generate two pages of commentaries.
:rofl:
Not really surprising to me. This issue is getting to be a big deal in our area as well. It is generally new people coming into the area that raise the stink. Pun intended. Long time locals know how to deal with the inconvenience. When fresh buns are dropped off at the end of our driveway we grab a shovel and feed our flower beds. No big deal.

I totally get why people might not want to drive any distance with a diaper attached to the back end of their horse. The smell tends to be bad enough at those neither regions without that added. My feeling has always been that the day I cannot stand this small inconvenience is the day I will move to the big city. I can see though that if you were in an area where old orders have just moved into it may take a bit of getting used to. One group of people though that I am sure is not complaining even in those areas are the people they are buying their farms from.

Anyway as I see it this is definitely a first world problem.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

appleman2006 wrote:....
I totally get why people might not want to drive any distance with a diaper attached to the back end of their horse. The smell tends to be bad enough at those neither regions without that added. ....

Anyway as I see it this is definitely a first world problem.
I don't think the smell has anything to do with it, at least for the most conservative orders, like the Swartentruber group. Some one once told me how they were chatting with a guy next to them in line at the machinery auction, and he commented to the Swartentruber guy that "Oh, it looks like you had to muck out the barn this morning before coming to the sale." They guy looked down at his bare feet (except for the manure caked around the edges, and between his toes), then said, "Oh, no, that was from Wednesday." (Machinery sale is on Saturdays....)

In regards to whether this is a problem in the developing world, I'm trying to remember if this was a problem in the big city (Fortelaza, CE) in Brazil where we lived for 10 months doing language school. Being a much older city (originally established by the Dutch, before the Portuguese ran them off), there were a lot more animal drawn carts there than where we lived for most of our years there, Porto Velho, RO. We seldom saw animal drawn carts in the city there. But in both cases, it was donkeys, not horses. Are donkeys better about 'holding it'? Even in the places where there were donkey carts, I don't remember any piles. Maybe the rats kept it cleaned up.

I don't like to throw the horse manure in our garden or flower gardens, because horses don't digest their food like cows do, so there are seeds in there, of what ever they ate, and they will sprout. (The seeds, not the horses. :roll: )
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:Fascinating: I never would have guessed that horse diapers would generate two pages of commentaries.
You should have seen the old MD thread(s) on outhouses. :roll:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited