Horse Diapers and Freedom of Religion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: Horse Diapers and Freedom of Religion

Post by appleman2006 »

Neto wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:....
I totally get why people might not want to drive any distance with a diaper attached to the back end of their horse. The smell tends to be bad enough at those neither regions without that added. ....

Anyway as I see it this is definitely a first world problem.
I don't think the smell has anything to do with it, at least for the most conservative orders, like the Swartentruber group. Some one once told me how they were chatting with a guy next to them in line at the machinery auction, and he commented to the Swartentruber guy that "Oh, it looks like you had to muck out the barn this morning before coming to the sale." They guy looked down at his bare feet (except for the manure caked around the edges, and between his toes), then said, "Oh, no, that was from Wednesday." (Machinery sale is on Saturdays....)

In regards to whether this is a problem in the developing world, I'm trying to remember if this was a problem in the big city (Fortelaza, CE) in Brazil where we lived for 10 months doing language school. Being a much older city (originally established by the Dutch, before the Portuguese ran them off), there were a lot more animal drawn carts there than where we lived for most of our years there, Porto Velho, RO. We seldom saw animal drawn carts in the city there. But in both cases, it was donkeys, not horses. Are donkeys better about 'holding it'? Even in the places where there were donkey carts, I don't remember any piles. Maybe the rats kept it cleaned up.

I don't like to throw the horse manure in our garden or flower gardens, because horses don't digest their food like cows do, so there are seeds in there, of what ever they ate, and they will sprout. (The seeds, not the horses. :roll: )
Good points.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Fascinating: I never would have guessed that horse diapers would generate two pages of commentaries.
You should have seen the old MD thread(s) on outhouses. :roll:
Maybe Josh can resurrect those for us. I remember them. :)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Fascinating: I never would have guessed that horse diapers would generate two pages of commentaries.
:laugh :rofl:
Was it the controversy over two holes vs one hole and its impact on costs vs modesty?

As for horse manure: we always put manure into its own compost pile: those who ride horses or drive horses were appreciated by the local garden clubs too. The clubs would get chipped wood from the county's chip wood pile (fallen trees) and manure from the horses: the roses in the county gardens were the envy of the surrounding counties.

3 pages and counting :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

It seems to me that the right (i.e. Christlike) thing for the Amish to do in this case would be to diaper their horses, and that the right (i.e. Christlike) thing for their neighbors to do would be to tolerate the horse excrement. If these Amish genuinely believe that horse diapers would be displeasing to God...well, I think they're mistaken.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:Was it the controversy over two holes vs one hole and its impact on costs vs modesty?
Not at all.
Here's one case from PA
and another from OH.

A surprising number of people tenaciously defended the obstinacy of the Old Order outhouse outlaws.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Was it the controversy over two holes vs one hole and its impact on costs vs modesty?
Not at all.
Here's one case from PA
and another from OH.

A surprising number of people tenaciously defended the obstinacy of the Old Order outhouse outlaws.
Sentiment over tradition is a powerful emotion. Some invest their entire identity with tradition(s).

I can share some real humdingers of stories I've witnessed over the years. It's not a right or wrong thing, just a vested emotional attachment.

The flip side: sometimes it's abuse of civic power for financial gain. We have a relative in Florida that had to deal with similar state-mandated health regs.

The only way to meet those mandated regs was to hire a company that would do the work. There was only one company that was certified to do the work and, you guessed it, it was owned by the man who wrote the regs for the state agency. Some things never change. In this case, when the relative brought this to the attention of the local newspaper, the ensuing expose resulted in the man paying massive fines and he had to resign from the regulations board. His jail time was commuted on condition he never did business in Florida again. In the old days, men like him would just move to another state and pull the same scam again. With computers, it's become more difficult for them to do this but they sometimes still succeed when the contract agencies are lazy about background checks.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote:
:blah: :shock:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
:blah: :shock:
Yep. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

ohio jones wrote:
Not at all.
Here's one case from PA
and another from OH.

Anyone know what actually became of these cases? Did the Amish eventually comply or did the state eventually just give up?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The Amish did not comply and the government is continuing to not issue permits, etc.
0 x