Horse Diapers and Freedom of Religion

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Horse Diapers and Freedom of Religion

Post by Josh »

I think it's worth noting that Swartzies think they really are the last true outpost of Christianity, and view the slide of other Plain groups into worldliness as reinforcement of that claim.

They associate retaining the German language, avoiding modern technology, and visible symbols like horse and buggy, no modern conveniences like gravel driveways, and so on as signs of separation from the world and of staying on the right path. This is their religion and as far as I can tell they'd gladly go to prison for it.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I think it's worth noting that Swartzies think they really are the last true outpost of Christianity, and view the slide of other Plain groups into worldliness as reinforcement of that claim.

They associate retaining the German language, avoiding modern technology, and visible symbols like horse and buggy, no modern conveniences like gravel driveways, and so on as signs of separation from the world and of staying on the right path. This is their religion and as far as I can tell they'd gladly go to prison for it.
But does their religion really prevent them from cleaning up horse droppings in urban settings? Does their religion require homeowners in cities to clean up after them?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

They view adopting any modern innovations as giving up their religion, so yes. And a big part of their religion is operating horse and buggy exactly like their forefathers did.

We are talking about people who won't gravel their driveways.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

temporal1 wrote: there are many obvious "logic holes" in the global warming movement, certainly leaders violate logic on a grand scale, with private jets, mansions, yachts, materialism beyond description.
Just a quick note for understanding these folks, not a defense. They believe that "carbon offsets" truly offset the damage they know they are doing. Maybe our culture seems to require this kind of lifestyle to be "leaders"?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

This thread, Page 5 -
temp -
temporal1 wrote:
RZehr wrote:Maybe that is what the Amish should do.
If they don't like the horse diapers, then maybe they can scoop up the manure and toss it in the ditch or in a box and take it with them.

That would be awfully inconvenient, but inconvenience doesn't seem to bother them much.
you've touched on the important part of it. 8-)
deeply held religious convictions can be of the utmost "inconvenience," Jesus certainly exemplified this with His very existence among us.

faith convictions can be difficult, or impossible, for others to understand ..
thus, legal protections exist for them. :-| ..
Jim, this, to return to the OP.
the other could go to another thread. (either way, i'm restricting my post count.) :)
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

JimFoxvog wrote:
temporal1 wrote: there are many obvious "logic holes" in the global warming movement, certainly leaders violate logic on a grand scale, with private jets, mansions, yachts, materialism beyond description.
Just a quick note for understanding these folks, not a defense. They believe that "carbon offsets" truly offset the damage they know they are doing. Maybe our culture seems to require this kind of lifestyle to be "leaders"?
"carbon offsets" ? Can you give me an example of carbon offsets that they practice that would negate their otherwise terrible footprint?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

appleman2006 wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
"carbon offsets" ? Can you give me an example of carbon offsets that they practice that would negate their otherwise terrible footprint?
I have seen news articles (some years ago) that quote people as saying that they chose not to have children in order to reduce their "carbon footprint", and then justified their travel via jetliners on this basis.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

appleman2006 wrote:"carbon offsets" ? Can you give me an example of carbon offsets that they practice that would negate their otherwise terrible footprint?
Here's an example of how to buy carbon offsets
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

ohio jones wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:"carbon offsets" ? Can you give me an example of carbon offsets that they practice that would negate their otherwise terrible footprint?
Here's an example of how to buy carbon offsets
OK so that covers flying. But for the class of people we are talking about that barely scratches the service. Plus I would like to actually see figures for how many people actually do this. If in fact they do I have a couple of igloos ......
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

2017 / From Page 1:
Josh wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:23 am
The Supreme Court has criteria to test bona fide religious convictions.

Like it or not, Schwarzies easily pass the tests. And it's not like they enjoy living so backwards.
They just honestly believe it's what God wants them to do.

Refreshing this for new members. Yes, this was a real forum topic. :)

https://www.foxnews.com/us/when-horse-d ... on-collide

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN