Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Re: College

Post by Adam »

0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The College affirms that remarriage after divorce is biblically prohibited while the former spouse lives (Matthew 5:31-32; Mark 10:11-12; Luke 16:18; Romans 7:2-3).
I find it interesting that what the college "affirms" is written like a fundamentalist statement of faith.
Thus it is the policy of Sattler College, while reserving its lawful rights where appropriate to promote the historic Christian faith in accordance with its mission and founding precepts, to comply with state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in employment and in its educational programs on the basis of a person's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information or family medical history, or military status.
It will be interesting to see how they square that circle.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Of note is that the statement about divorce and remarriage doesn't seem to be the more extreme view I am accustomed to hearing from followers of Followers of the Way.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

O wow. It is up.

Here is another link of interest.

http://www.mass.edu/bhe/lib/documents/A ... %20AAC.pdf
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Ernie wrote:
O wow. It is up.

Here is another link of interest.

http://www.mass.edu/bhe/lib/documents/A ... %20AAC.pdf
Wow. Does he have that much money? Like $3M per year?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I would guess Kuravilla's net worth is into the hundreds of millions, although the way he's structured this is that one of his funds is simply allocating its charitable portion to Sattler.
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

This is where the investing question from the other thread gets difficult. On the one hand, we are not to lay up for ourselves treasures on Earth, but on the other hand, having sizable resources enables us to do things that we would not otherwise be able to do for the Kingdom of God. If someone like Finny were not able to donate millions of dollars to this school, it would probably not happen. So is it ok to lay up for others treasures on Earth?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

One of the baffling things to me about this is that it's being done in Boston, but that just shows how much I've internalised the "rural is better" mindset.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you for those documents. Re the tuition, I was not clear if the $9000 was for two semesters or one. (Small screen on the phone).

One of the hoops that they will need to jump is accreditation in order for students to apply for government loans. Personally I feel scholarships from the churches would keep the institution free of government loan entanglements. Accreditation does have other perks. I simply hope their institution steers clear of government entanglements that will affect their freedom to pursue their mission without dilution of secular governmental regs requiring they hire homosexual couples or provide health benefits for abortion.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Don't worry. It would be hard for me to imagine a senario that he has not thought about.

Finny is not a compromiser, even with the companies he invests in. He is known not to invest in a company simply because they donated to Doctors Without Borders, (a group that is known to perform abortions on occasion).
Eventide does not invest in companies who are providing services for the military, companies who are involved in the fashion industry, cosmetic industry, jewelry industry, etc. He doesn't even invest in companies whose business is to provide the raw materials for these companies.
Basically every day at the office Finny is meeting with corporate executives who want Eventide to invest in their company. He gets a chance to articulate his Kingdom values and explain what he thinks our lives and our resources should be used for.
The company can decide if they want to meet Eventide standards or look for funding elsewhere.
Finny's worldview is compelling to some people, and some executives are shaping their corporations accordingly.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"