College

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Re: College

Post by cmbl »

JimFoxvog wrote:To me the wisest choice depends on the individual child (who is nearing the point where he is no longer a child). Is his faith strong? Being a witness to Christ on a secular campus may be best. But check if there is some sort of properly supportive Christian fellowship available there. But for one who is not ready to stand up to the world's arguments and ways, a more protected Christian college may be best. But this is all only advice to give your student; they are now at the age they have to make their own choice. Parents need to choose whether to support that choice financially in good conscience.
I think that for the CA perspective*, properly supportive Christian fellowship would be a CA church (either the student's home church or something like FOJ State College). These are harder to find than the evangelical Protestant groups, e.g. campus crusade.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Adam wrote:
Neto wrote:But I would be remiss if I did not mention that we also sent all of them to EBMI.
What is EBMI?
I'm sorry - I meant EBI - Elnora Bible Institute. (I don't know where I got the 'M' from....) It is a Bible institute run by the Biblical Mennonite Alliance. http://www.biblicalmennonite.com/elnora ... itute.html

I don't know how much the credits would transfer anywhere else, but our children all considered it valuable in their personal development.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:
Adam wrote:
Neto wrote:But I would be remiss if I did not mention that we also sent all of them to EBMI.
What is EBMI?
I'm sorry - I meant EBI - Elnora Bible Institute. (I don't know where I got the 'M' from....) It is a Bible institute run by the Biblical Mennonite Alliance. http://www.biblicalmennonite.com/elnora ... itute.html

I don't know how much the credits would transfer anywhere else, but our children all considered it valuable in their personal development.
Some associates of mine are headed there soon. I pray it will be as valuable for them.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

College attendance seems like a useful thing for mature men and women to do in their 50s, after the kids are grown up, and there is enough maturity to handle the deceptiveness of the world. And most folks at that age could afford it better too.
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

Josh wrote:College attendance seems like a useful thing for mature men and women to do in their 50s, after the kids are grown up, and there is enough maturity to handle the deceptiveness of the world. And most folks at that age could afford it better too.
There is a lot of wisdom in what you are saying, and I think that is why some people go back to school in their 50s. Nevertheless, it is also true that many who don't attend college right after high school will probably never do so, even if they want to later on, because they get caught up in living their lives and, the older you are, the harder it is to step away from your obligations to do something like attend college. But when you are 18 and unmarried with no obligations, it is much easier. But you are right that you probably get more out of it the older you are.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I'm currently enrolled in University; I think lot of it depends on what your field of study is.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Ernie wrote:If you have a good relationship with your son, and your son can interact weekly or daily with people of similar faith while he is in college, I believe that anything is possible.

If you are looking for a conservative Anabaptist option for post-secondary education, there is Faith Builders in northwestern, PA. Many of their courses can be transferred to other colleges.

If you are looking for a Kingdom Christian option, plans are being made to launch Sattler College in Boston in the fall of 2018.
The goal is to recruit students from among the hundreds of thousands of David Platt and Francis Chan fans who would be open to taking these men's ideas a step further toward their logical conclusion. (Much like what happened with Grebel and Manz in the sixteenth century as they studied under Zwingli.)
There are tens of thousands of young Evanglicals who are not fans of Hillary, but are embarrassed that their parents voted for Trump. This demographic has potentially thousands of persons who would be seriously interested in Kingdom Christianity if it was explained and defended in way that was meaningful to them.
Just curious. Will Sattler College be a liberal arts college? A seminary? or what?

And will it seek accreditation and/or state/fed funding?
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

joshuabgood wrote:
Ernie wrote:If you have a good relationship with your son, and your son can interact weekly or daily with people of similar faith while he is in college, I believe that anything is possible.

If you are looking for a conservative Anabaptist option for post-secondary education, there is Faith Builders in northwestern, PA. Many of their courses can be transferred to other colleges.

If you are looking for a Kingdom Christian option, plans are being made to launch Sattler College in Boston in the fall of 2018.
The goal is to recruit students from among the hundreds of thousands of David Platt and Francis Chan fans who would be open to taking these men's ideas a step further toward their logical conclusion. (Much like what happened with Grebel and Manz in the sixteenth century as they studied under Zwingli.)
There are tens of thousands of young Evanglicals who are not fans of Hillary, but are embarrassed that their parents voted for Trump. This demographic has potentially thousands of persons who would be seriously interested in Kingdom Christianity if it was explained and defended in way that was meaningful to them.
Just curious. Will Sattler College be a liberal arts college? A seminary? or what?

And who are the people behind the launching of Sattler College?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Finny Kuravilla's
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

joshuabgood wrote:Just curious. Will Sattler College be a liberal arts college? A seminary? or what?
I don't know for sure. It will be several months until there is a website or brochure. Biblical languages, apologetics, healthcare, and business education are some of the things being talked about.

Yes. Massachusetts approved them to give bachelors degrees. It was quite the process and a book could be written about. A 6 member panel including several Catholics gave them a lot of grief about starting another college that restricts who can attend according to religious values. A year ago it was looking doubtful that they were going to get approved.

I don't think they will get any government funding.

Finny is the founder. Some of his Kingdom Christian friends who have degrees make up his board.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"