The Tone of Posts on this Forum

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

The Tone of Posts on this Forum

Post by Adam »

I am a relative newcomer to Anabaptist/Kingdom Christian thinking, I have appreciated being able to ask questions and discuss important matters on this site. However, as a newcomer, I have to say that I find the tone of some of the posts on this site to be discouraging. Some of the posts I have read seem to have an air or arrogance, sarcasm, and lack of respect to them that do not seem to uphold the principle of "They shall know we are Christians by our love." This is one of the drawback of online forums--that it is easy for one's tone to be misinterpreted (perhaps the arrogance, sarcasm, and lack of respect is just imagined on my part), and it is easy to be less loving in what you say because you are not looking at someone face-to-face.

In humility, recognizing my own inclination to post in such a way, I would encourage everyone on this forum to post with the expectation that non-Christians, non-Anabaptists, and people exploring the Anabaptist Church will be reading your post and judging (whether it is fair to do so or not) the whole of the Anabaptist Church based on how you interact on this forum. I recognize that it takes a lot more work and effort and patience to compose posts in such a way, but I think it is well worth the extra effort.

At the same time, I see that many posts are composed with great love and concern for others, despite disagreements, and I commend and encourage those posts. I would argue that, in a public forum like this, it is more important to be humble and loving than it is to try to prove that you are right. I am not saying that each one of us shouldn’t state our case regarding a particular issue, but I would ask that we please do so with humility and respect, realizing that we might be overlooking something in our own interpretation. I would also request that we put more effort toward trying to truly understand another’s perspective and giving that person the benefit of the doubt that he/she is trying to follow the words of our Lord Jesus Christ just as we are.

Finally, if I post in such a way that is not in accord with what I am stating here, I ask you to please point that out to me.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Tone of Posts on this Forum

Post by Josh »

I think it would be helpful to:

- PM someone who has a bad tone

- Give them examples including how to say things better

- If they don't listen to you, ask for moderators to step in and help reach a consensus

- If they drop out of such a reconciliatory dialogue, the moderators usually announce so on MN.

I think such a process helps avoid gaslighting or a few dominant voices controlling the discussion and then silencing anyone who disagrees as "not being nonresistant".
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Adam wrote:I am a relative newcomer to Anabaptist/Kingdom Christian thinking, I have appreciated being able to ask questions and discuss important matters on this site. However, as a newcomer, I have to say that I find the tone of some of the posts on this site to be discouraging. Some of the posts I have read seem to have an air or arrogance, sarcasm, and lack of respect to them that do not seem to uphold the principle of "They shall know we are Christians by our love." This is one of the drawback of online forums--that it is easy for one's tone to be misinterpreted (perhaps the arrogance, sarcasm, and lack of respect is just imagined on my part), and it is easy to be less loving in what you say because you are not looking at someone face-to-face.

In humility, recognizing my own inclination to post in such a way, I would encourage everyone on this forum to post with the expectation that non-Christians, non-Anabaptists, and people exploring the Anabaptist Church will be reading your post and judging (whether it is fair to do so or not) the whole of the Anabaptist Church based on how you interact on this forum. I recognize that it takes a lot more work and effort and patience to compose posts in such a way, but I think it is well worth the extra effort.

At the same time, I see that many posts are composed with great love and concern for others, despite disagreements, and I commend and encourage those posts. I would argue that, in a public forum like this, it is more important to be humble and loving than it is to try to prove that you are right. I am not saying that each one of us shouldn’t state our case regarding a particular issue, but I would ask that we please do so with humility and respect, realizing that we might be overlooking something in our own interpretation. I would also request that we put more effort toward trying to truly understand another’s perspective and giving that person the benefit of the doubt that he/she is trying to follow the words of our Lord Jesus Christ just as we are.

Finally, if I post in such a way that is not in accord with what I am stating here, I ask you to please point that out to me.
Well said, Adam :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Beautifully stated and important reminder, thank you Adam. Blessed are the peacemakers
2 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Good reminder for all of us. Thank you Adam
1 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Thanks for this post, Adam- I agree with you. Hope you're doing well.
1 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

On Monday I will be heading out to Immi village in Enga Province, Papua New Guinea for 3-4 weeks to build our house there with a small construction crew, so I will not be interacting on MennoNet. I am not sure if I will continue interacting or not upon my return, but I doubt that I will. Overall I am very pleased with the interaction of most people on this forum, but there continue to be negative, sarcastic comments that spoil the experience for me. And I am not talking about those who have stated their disagreements respectfully. I can handle disagreement, but I have trouble with people who insist on (and seem to enjoy) being disagreeable. I honestly expect more out of those who call themselves Anabaptists, and as a NMB seeker it disappoints me greatly (although it is a good reminder to keep focused on Jesus and not on people). Perhaps I am being overly sensitive (it wouldn't be the first time) and misinterpreting the comments. If that is the case, I apologize for my inability to understand the heart of what is trying to be communicated. I recognize that internet communication is imperfect and that the trouble may be with my own perceptions and not the comments that are being made. At the same time, I know I am not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you for all of you who have been so helpful in assisting me to learn more about Anabaptism and Kingdom Christianity. If I have further questions, I will probably continue corresponding privately with those who have been so helpful.
2 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I was away from internet connections during the time you started this thread, and during the entire time it was active, so I didn't see it until now. If you do decide not to return to MennoNet after your return from the village, I will miss you, and your thoughts and comments. (I has also been nice having another Bible translator on board.) I will be praying that the construction goes well, and safely.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Blessings to you. Hope you at least drop in occasionally.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Please don't stay away Adam, you contribute so much to the forum. I appreciate your posts, may the Lord order your steps and bless your path & plans for your new home.

Please consider some on here may be frustrated at times as they're trying to work out their salvation (not work 'for') and learning- most of the time, it has been a good witness to me personally, to observe the grace, patience and responses of some, when the tones you refer to pop up.

Hope to hear from you again, I learn a lot here, when I was seriously seeking Anabaptism it was confusing at first as I really didn't realize how there were so many different beliefs/practices within Anabaptism- just thought there were Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterites- however these discussions have sent me to really learn more history of Christianity and have helped me so much- I think you set a good example for all of us.
1 x