Hunting - Poll

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Check as many as apply:

Total votes: 0

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Hunting - Poll

Post by steve-in-kville »

RZehr wrote:Non-residences will pay $615.50. Landownership of 160+ acres in one contiguous chunk gets you additional tags, but full price.
Why so much?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

mike wrote:Because of my job in retail it is really hard to justify taking time off work to hunt. I started when my boys got old enough to hunt, and I decided it was my job to take them. This year, my state has moved the first day of rifle season to Saturday, which is my normal day off, so I'm really happy about that. I don't take the time to trophy hunt; I like to get an antlerless tag so I can shoot whatever I see. My boys and I watched YouTube tutorials and became experts :) on cutting up our own meat, and we get a lot of pleasure out of processing everything ourselves. A lot of the cost of hunting is paying somebody else to process your deer which can make it some of the most expensive meat out there. Once you have a gun and some orange clothing and a license, hunting doesn't really have to be that costly. Still, it's not really in my blood, and at 4 or 5AM on the first day of rifle season there is nothing I would rather do than stay in bed. What we don't do for our boys. :)
Our two oldest still talk how they enjoy butchering the deer together even though it's been a couple years since I got one.

And I don't think their mother has forgotten either... The curiosity of the children knew it had to be somewhere for a couple days before butchering...
I had to hang it somewhere, so I hung it in the cold room in the basement...
Then one day we were getting our shoes on to go somewhere and one of the children laughingly flung the door open to the cold room when their mother was looking... :shock: :lol:
0 x
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

steve-in-kville wrote:
RZehr wrote:Non-residences will pay $615.50. Landownership of 160+ acres in one contiguous chunk gets you additional tags, but full price.
Why so much?
I think he means if you’re not a resident of Oregon, as an out-of-State hunter the license costs $615.50.

BTW - do you know what Pennsylvania’s out-of- State hunter’s license currently costs?
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

DrWojo wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:
Why so much?
I think he means if you’re not a resident of Oregon, as an out-of-State hunter the license costs $615.50.

BTW - do you know what Pennsylvania’s out-of- State hunter’s license currently costs?
$101.90. Come on up.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

The truth is, I've never really understood sport hunting or trophy hunting (posing with dead animals). And I don't understand the level of emotion around killing animals that leads people to get the shakes (buck fever). And it seems to me that when animals are killed it should be the quickest cleanest most efficient manner out of respect for the animal, so I don't understand archery either.

There...now that I poked that hornets nest...carry on:)
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

joshuabgood wrote:The truth is, I've never really understood sport hunting or trophy hunting (posing with dead animals). And I don't understand the level of emotion around killing animals that leads people to get the shakes (buck fever).
I can help you out here. It is very similar to the shakes when you stand in front of the crowd and you are seconds away from the difficult solo - and to the rush of triumph when you totally nail it. :)
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Wade

Post by Wade »

joshuabgood wrote:And it seems to me that when animals are killed it should be the quickest cleanest most efficient manner out of respect for the animal, so I don't understand archery either.
I'm glad you wrote that you don't understand, because the quickest cleanest most efficient kill has to do with shot placement and nothing to do with archery or the use of a gun.

If a person goes out and shoots an animal with a gun in the guts as compared to an archer shooting an animal in the head; the archer did a quicker, cleaner, more efficient kill hands down. So it is the patience and beforehand attention in understanding how to use your tool to retrieve the animal that will bear the results of respect - not the tool.
0 x
DrWojo

Post by DrWojo »

mike wrote:
DrWojo wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:
Why so much?

$101.90. Come on up.
Thanks. Is that an invitation?
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
DrWojo

Post by DrWojo »

mike wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:The truth is, I've never really understood sport hunting or trophy hunting (posing with dead animals). And I don't understand the level of emotion around killing animals that leads people to get the shakes (buck fever).
I can help you out here. It is very similar to the shakes when you stand in front of the crowd and you are seconds away from the difficult solo - and to the rush of triumph when you totally nail it. :)
If ‘shakes’ can be defined as a rush of euphoria or adrenaline, I’d say it has more to do with the act of killing the animal by taking a shot at it — no different from dropping my own home - raised steer or pig; not restricted to sport hunting. As to whatever possesses a body to want to pose with their trophy prey, I dunno, I guess the same thing that makes the Mennonites want to pose for engagement pictures and send them to all their friends and acquaintances? There’s a whole other ‘hornet’s nest,’ if anyone wants to carry on further. I mean, after all, what with the breaking of the commandment to not make any graven image and all . . .
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

DrWojo wrote:
mike wrote:
If ‘shakes’ can be defined as a rush of euphoria or adrenaline, I’d say it has more to do with the act of killing the animal by taking a shot at it — no different from dropping my own home - raised steer or pig; not restricted to sport hunting. As to whatever possesses a body to want to pose with their trophy prey, I dunno, I guess the same thing that makes the Mennonites want to pose for engagement pictures and send them to all their friends and acquaintances? There’s a whole other ‘hornet’s nest,’ if anyone wants to carry on further. I mean, after all, what with the breaking of the commandment to not make any graven image and all . . .
My first kill didn't cause shakes but it certainly was a rush to be honest. The emotion of receiving that magnificent creature coupled with mourning and remorse for the life taking forced me to my knees and I prayed in thanksgiving to God... I was a 25 year old atheist and that was the first time I ever prayed as an adult.
0 x