Hunting - Poll

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Check as many as apply:

Total votes: 0

DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Hunting - Poll

Post by DrWojo »

Here’s a somewhat general thread related to hunting.

I’ve recently learned about a Plain Hunting magazine titled Hometown Outdoors that is published out of La Jara, Colorado. Can any MN readers out there share if they know the family or church group these folks are affiliated with?

While I try to be thankful that I have land to hunt on and also that our State of Oklahoma issues ‘free’ hunting licenses for land-owners, I’m also soured by the fact our Sooner State believes it is perfectly fine to legally extort $20 per deer tag out of land-owners. I’d be interested in hearing how other states are as well as input on what age a lifetime resident hunting/fishing license is still a feasible option.
Oklahoma also currently allows its senior citizens a free lifetime fishing license at age 65.

I’m also curious whether our more socialized neighbors to the north (Canada) can still keep and bear arms to hunt, or have drunk the Kool-Aide and can no longer privately own firearms for hunting?
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Hunting - Poll

Post by Wade »

DrWojo wrote:Here’s a somewhat general thread related to hunting.

I’ve recently learned about a Plain Hunting magazine titled Hometown Outdoors that is published out of La Jara, Colorado. Can any MN readers out there share if they know the family or church group these folks are affiliated with?

While I try to be thankful that I have land to hunt on and also that our State of Oklahoma issues ‘free’ hunting licenses for land-owners, I’m also soured by the fact our Sooner State believes it is perfectly fine to legally extort $20 per deer tag out of land-owners. I’d be interested in hearing how other states are as well as input on what age a lifetime resident hunting/fishing license is still a feasible option.
Oklahoma also currently allows its senior citizens a free lifetime fishing license at age 65.

I’m also curious whether our more socialized neighbors to the north (Canada) can still keep and bear arms to hunt, or have drunk the Kool-Aide and can no longer privately own firearms for hunting?
We have private guns for hunting up here. Not sure what you are even talking about otherwise with the Kool-Aide?
We have to buy licenses and tags every year.
And the queen gets royalties for each purchase because I think she owns the animals here... :roll:
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Regarding fishing here in Ontario, Canada, you need a license if between 18 and 65 years old.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Our local economy gets a very real boost this time of the year as people from the city head north for hunting. I used to get frustrated seeing all the expensive 4 wheel drive pickup trucks pulling camper trailers and trailers loaded with 4 wheelers but now I just smile and think of all the money those hunters are pouring into the economy. One party may consist of 2 or three $60,000 trucks, $40,000 worth of campers, another $40,000 worth of guns and trailers and 4 wheelers. They buy gas and eat at local restaurants on their way through - what is their not to like! Best of all i get to stay home doing what I want to do - no gun - no pickup truck. Hopefully, they help to control the bear and moose and deer populations, making the roads safer for us the rest of the year. Go, hunters, go!
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I get a fishing license every year, but haven't hunted for several years. I still get a deer or three every year, but someone else has harvested it for me with their motor vehicle.

I was given one Friday night. Today I got most of it in the freezer, with the parts not easily removed from the bone pressure cooked and ready to process tomorrow. I do a fairly thorough job taking the meat off the bones, but still got 9 quarts full of extra meat using the pressure canner.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Hats Off wrote:Our local economy gets a very real boost this time of the year as people from the city head north for hunting. I used to get frustrated seeing all the expensive 4 wheel drive pickup trucks pulling camper trailers and trailers loaded with 4 wheelers but now I just smile and think of all the money those hunters are pouring into the economy. One party may consist of 2 or three $60,000 trucks, $40,000 worth of campers, another $40,000 worth of guns and trailers and 4 wheelers. They buy gas and eat at local restaurants on their way through - what is their not to like! Best of all i get to stay home doing what I want to do - no gun - no pickup truck. Hopefully, they help to control the bear and moose and deer populations, making the roads safer for us the rest of the year. Go, hunters, go!
That sounds like a vacation...
Hunting to me is seeing a deer out my kitchen window, sneaking around back and taking it down with the crossbow lent to me, or my eldest son and I driving 5 minutes from home in a Toyota Corolla purchased for $450, then hike for a while carrying a $400 gun that was giving to me. It would have been interesting if we would have got an elk. :lol:
0 x
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Post by undershepherd »

DrWojo wrote:While I try to be thankful that I have land to hunt on and also that our State of Oklahoma issues ‘free’ hunting licenses for land-owners, I’m also soured by the fact our Sooner State believes it is perfectly fine to legally extort $20 per deer tag out of land-owners. I’d be interested in hearing how other states are as well as input on what age a lifetime resident hunting/fishing license is still a feasible option.
You think that is bad, try West Virginia. I am a resident of VA but I own land in WV. WV requires me to buy an out of state hunting license to hunt on my own land in WV.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Much beyond groundhogs and pest control, I'm not a hunter. I own guns, possess a carry permit, but don't hunt. I have boys that hunt. I also have a rack full of fishing rods that haven't seen water in years. I don't have a carry permit for those, unfortunately 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Trying to attach a photo and I get an error message stating "the board attachment quota has been reached."

Am I doing something wrong?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Because of my job in retail it is really hard to justify taking time off work to hunt. I started when my boys got old enough to hunt, and I decided it was my job to take them. This year, my state has moved the first day of rifle season to Saturday, which is my normal day off, so I'm really happy about that. I don't take the time to trophy hunt; I like to get an antlerless tag so I can shoot whatever I see. My boys and I watched YouTube tutorials and became experts :) on cutting up our own meat, and we get a lot of pleasure out of processing everything ourselves. A lot of the cost of hunting is paying somebody else to process your deer which can make it some of the most expensive meat out there. Once you have a gun and some orange clothing and a license, hunting doesn't really have to be that costly. Still, it's not really in my blood, and at 4 or 5AM on the first day of rifle season there is nothing I would rather do than stay in bed. What we don't do for our boys. :)
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3