November 22, 1963

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

November 22, 1963

Post by steve-in-kville »

56 years ago today, JFK was shot. My mom tells me that when they announced it at her school, the teachers cried. I've watched every movie and documentary made, ready every books I could find, as I'm sort of a history buff.

I don't want to make this political, but those that remember this piece of American history, post up were you were and how you found out about the assassination of JFK.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Re: November 22, 1963

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

I was clapping erasers outside the school building when a car came in the driveway and the driver told me and the boy with me that the president had been shot. I immediately went in and told the class. The principal called the school to prayer.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote:I was clapping erasers outside the school building when a car came in the driveway and the driver told me and the boy with me that the president had been shot. I immediately went in and told the class. The principal called the school to prayer.
Wow. I've never been to school where prayer was allowed, nor practiced.

I was in kindergarten in Los Angeles County on that day- I walked home from school and mom was ironing, and crying, and the news was on. I really didn't understand all that was happening except the days following, seeing the First Lady & her two small children having to go through the very public funeral- and feeling so sorry for them.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I think I was out at recess at elementary school. Very sad.

Dad took us kids over to Bethesda Naval Medical Hospital to watch the helicopter bringing JFK's body in. Very moving.

I dismissed the conspiracy theories for decades, but Jim Douglass convinced me otherwise.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Valerie wrote:
Biblical Anabaptist wrote:I was clapping erasers outside the school building when a car came in the driveway and the driver told me and the boy with me that the president had been shot. I immediately went in and told the class. The principal called the school to prayer.
Wow. I've never been to school where prayer was allowed, nor practiced.

I was in kindergarten in Los Angeles County on that day- I walked home from school and mom was ironing, and crying, and the news was on. I really didn't understand all that was happening except the days following, seeing the First Lady & her two small children having to go through the very public funeral- and feeling so sorry for them.
This was a Christian school. Before I went to the Christian school, my 4th-grade teacher in public school had Bible reading each morning. As I recall, I think all the classes said the Lords Prayer after the pledge of allegiance each morning.
0 x
Mountain Merle
Affiliation: Redneck Mennonite

Post by Mountain Merle »

steve-in-kville wrote:56 years ago today, JFK was shot. My mom tells me that when they announced it at her school, the teachers cried.
I was 7 years old and in the second grade in public school. The first grade teacher burst in our classroom crying with the terrible news.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

I was in a public elementary school, the principle had his radio on, and put the news broadcast over the PA system. I was a bit to young to really comprehend what the broadcast was saying, but I did understand the teacher's reaction. She stood there with her mouth open with a look of shock. She then went out into the hallway and the other teachers huddled together, some of them crying. In our Mennonite home we didn't talk about the president or politics, so the president being shot was someone and something out of my scope of understanding.
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

steve-in-kville wrote: I don't want to make this political, but those that remember this piece of American history, post up were you were and how you found out about the assassination of JFK.
I was about 5 years old and didn't understand it very well. My biggest memory was that I did not get to spend hours watching cartoons that Saturday morning because this flag-draped casket and crowds wearing black were dominating every television station.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

As I recall, upon hearing the shots I proceeded to kick the foot end of my baby carriage out onto the floor. For a 4 month old infant it was very traumatising. My wife states that she spent the first day of her life watching the funeral proceeds. She dislikes funerals to this day.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

As I was in the womb at the time, I have no recollection of the events.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited