November 22, 1963

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Re: November 22, 1963

Post by DrWojo »

appleman2006 wrote:As I recall, upon hearing the shots I proceeded to kick the foot end of my baby carriage out onto the floor. For a 4 month old infant it was very traumatising. My wife states that she spent the first day of her life watching the funeral proceeds. She dislikes funerals to this day.
I witnessed a similar lack of respect this past Saturday at the changing of the wreath ceremony in Arlington National Cemetery by my Brothers-in-law. When the Military Official announced, “You will show respect. You will remove all headgear. You will place your right hand over your heart. You will remain silent . . .” they did nothing. (I had my MAGA hat removed and my hand over my heart before I was told). The next morning when I asked one of them why they didn’t even make a weak attempt at showing at least a little respect, he muttered he wasn’t sure what they meant, then Mother-in-law said we should have walked away when asked to show respect. Sadly, such lack of respect will not leave a favorable witness for Anabaptists, and even sadder, reproach upon the Christ I hope they are serving.
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Sorry if my attempt at humour showed a lack of respect. Would it help if I told you I spent the better part of a day at the 6th floor museum a few years back and found it both sobering and inspiring? I even stood on the "spot" and observed a moment of silence. Until the light turned green that is. and I was forced back into reality.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

appleman2006 wrote:Sorry if my attempt at humour showed a lack of respect. Would it help if I told you I spent the better part of a day at the 6th floor museum a few years back and found it both sobering and inspiring? I even stood on the "spot" and observed a moment of silence. Until the light turned green that is. and I was forced back into reality.
My humor was flaring up as well. I was going to give a fictitious first person account involving fleeing the grassy knoll, but Dr.Wojos post stopped me. :D
I wasn't nearly born yet.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Seems to me I was in a field behind the house, plowing with a little grey Ferguson tractor when a neighbour walked up to where I was working and told me about it. Even in Canada, people were excited about this event.
0 x
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

DrWojo wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:As I recall, upon hearing the shots I proceeded to kick the foot end of my baby carriage out onto the floor. For a 4 month old infant it was very traumatising. My wife states that she spent the first day of her life watching the funeral proceeds. She dislikes funerals to this day.
I witnessed a similar lack of respect this past Saturday at the changing of the wreath ceremony in Arlington National Cemetery by my Brothers-in-law. When the Military Official announced, “You will show respect. You will remove all headgear. You will place your right hand over your heart. You will remain silent . . .” they did nothing. (I had my MAGA hat removed and my hand over my heart before I was told). The next morning when I asked one of them why they didn’t even make a weak attempt at showing at least a little respect, he muttered he wasn’t sure what they meant, then Mother-in-law said we should have walked away when asked to show respect. Sadly, such lack of respect will not leave a favorable witness for Anabaptists, and even sadder, reproach upon the Christ I hope they are serving.
Is it also showing disrespect to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance but not say it or put your hand over your heart?
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
Aurien
Affiliation: Ex-Mennonite

Post by Aurien »

I must be one of the younger people on MN. I was decades from being born when the assassination happened.
0 x
No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly. --J.R.R. Tolkien

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...you find someone to carry you. --Firefly
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I was in Rome, Italy. I didn't hear about it until the day afterwards.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

My mom was born a little over a month later in 1964 and my dad nearly 3 months later.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

I was probably behind bars at the time - in my crib.

I do remember the assassination of JFK's brother Bobby though.
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Aslanhasheard wrote:
DrWojo wrote:
Is it also showing disrespect to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance but not say it or put your hand over your heart?
I don't know about your brothers-in-law motives Dr. Wojo, but I suspect this type of "disrespect" is what got Shadrach, Mechach and Abednigo thrown into the furnace.
0 x