omnium-gatherum part deux

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: omnium-gatherum part deux

Post by temporal1 »

Ohio / Defiance County Children’s Home
i -rarely- visit eBay, but just came across this image.
my dear father in law was born in 1908, his mother died when he was 5, he+siblings went to this orphange, which was fairly new at the time. they could see their home from the orphanage yard. their father remarried, they could see her son playing on the swing in their family yard.

life can be beyond words to describe.

he did not complain. he said he had good memories and was grateful.
he is missed.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:13 pm they could see their home from the orphanage yard. their father remarried, they could see her son playing on the swing in their family yard.

Yet words can try to describe situations even more difficult.
http://defiancecountyohiogenealogy.blog ... ounty.html
Supt. Hall usually attends to the duty of finding homes for the children. And in this work he has numerous trials and aggravations. Especially where the children have parents to meddle and interfere. One peculiar case was called to mind of an inmate of the Home who was blessed with a father, mother, two stepmothers, two stepfathers, and yet not a soul to prevent the child from becoming a county charge.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:26 am
Supt. Hall usually attends to the duty of finding homes for the children. And in this work he has numerous trials and aggravations. Especially where the children have parents to meddle and interfere. One peculiar case was called to mind of an inmate of the Home who was blessed with a father, mother, two stepmothers, two stepfathers, and yet not a soul to prevent the child from becoming a county charge.
[/quote]
Truly tragic. :pray
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:26 am
temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:13 pm they could see their home from the orphanage yard. their father remarried, they could see her son playing on the swing in their family yard.

It’s likely, there is a sad story attached to every child present.
My fil’s experience was similar to Anne of Green Gables, it was a practice for farmers to go to Children’s Homes for help with farm work, my fil did this as a child/teen. Later, after he aged-out, he was thankful for these experiences! When The Great Depression hit, he was able to go farm door-to-farm door for work. He told us farms were hit hard, but there was food!

When he was young, one farm couple loved him and wanted to adopt him. He wanted the same. His father would not allow it.
It’s so sad. As hard as it was, i can still empathize with his father. It would have been a very hard decision. Esp living so close by, he could see his children in the yard.

Life is not a romantic Hallmark plot. Not even for children.

He told us he had 2 memories of his mother, 1) her long hair; 2) she took them to Sunday school.
She only had 5 years with him. What can a mother give in just 5 years?? She gave him Jesus.

He lived a godly life, eventually graduated college, married, had 4 children, was deacon of their church for years.
He was often found in the living room studying his worn Bible; a practical man, who answered calls from their church at all hours -
below zero weather, “the furnace is out!” etc. :lol: He never whimpered, just went to help.

He would sometimes advise: “Never forget where you came from.”
As he became more financially stable in life, and knew many who prospered (and forgot).

i feel sorry for children today who are told nothing other than about “their rights” to have and have, to not feel discomfort, etc.
we have built a strange culture that is not healthy.

with the best intentions.

What is the most important gift we can give our children? Out of everything, what is most important?
My fil’s mother who died too young left a legacy that lives. She could not have chosen more wisely.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

How i wish the great-grandparents, and great-great grandparents could be with us.

In April, my quiet unassuming not competitive young granddaughter will compete in 2023 IEA National FINALS in North Carolina. :)
Interscholastic Equestrian Association

She unexpectedly won first place in Zone 9. She’s still a new rider. 9th grade.
i was there earlier in March for this competition.
IEA Hunt Seat Zone 9 includes Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming.
https://www.rideiea.org/hunt-seat/zone9/
Tryon International Equestrian Center
https://tryon.com/event/iea-hunt-seat-d ... -nationals

She is with a stable that believes in the riders doing ALL the work involved with horses. She has worked like a farm hand at this, to the point i’ve worried about her. She’s learned a lot. These riders work hard. Long hours.

She began reading about horses in preschool. Who knew?! :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

They will be in NC tonight.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

They’re at the airport for a direct flight, SEA-CLT.

It’s a gorgeous morning here. i’m a bundle of nerves. Was not expecting this.
i want to collapse on the floor and cry. weep.

i suppose these emotions will last a few days? i don’t know. never experienced anything like this before.
she is so small, so tender.

thankfully, her part is basic, and she’s prepared. she has so much composure. that really came out when i visited in March.
i’m a wreck.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

IEA Nationals / North Carolina
https://www.rideiea.org/2023nationalfinals/
394 HUNT SEAT .. .. .. 33 - H8i. USHJA Junior Varsity Beginner Equitation on the flat W/T – FINAL – INDIVIDUAL
she won first in her class. total shock.

i felt she was prepared to go. i was confident about that. none of us expected she would place. first?? - shock.
her uncle was like this. very under-the-radar. and, then. surprise.

the longshots. :lol:

thankfully, some of her father’s family are there. they were able to drive. some of us watched via livestream.
i have no idea what this means. (i hope there’s no world competition.) too much excitement for me.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Evidently, unwanted in the other thread: viewtopic.php?t=5643
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:29 am OP P.1:
Z_DC wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:26 pm I'm just curious about the court case on religious freedom being heard by the Supreme Court this coming Tuesday.
The issue is regarding a postal worker in southern Lancaster County, Gerald Groff, who refused to work on Sundays.

The link below indicates he was a former Mennonite missionary. Does anyone know if he is still a Mennonite?

https://www.hcamag.com/us/specializatio ... ion/442806
Ancestry? Groffdales?

Findagrave / Hans Graf 1661-1746
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11282437/hans-graf
~OUR FAMILIES ANCESTRAL ROOTS~
Hans was said to have been married twice, first was to Ursula Neukomm about 1683, and believed to have had one child through the marriage. Then later re-married to Susanna Orndorf about 1700 and had what was believed to have been ten children along with her.

West Earl Township Lancaster, Pennsylvania - He was the first settler in 1717, named in his honor 1729 "Earl being the English of Graf."

A stone was finally placed at his grave site, but his grave was unknown for quite some time. But after much searching it later was discovered in the graveyard of the Groff Meeting House. It was marked with only a simple slab of sandstone with the initials "H G".

The first Settler,
Came from Switzerland A.D. 1696.
Settlement was made at the head of Groff's Run.
He purchased 1419 Acres of land from John
Richard, S Thomas Penn, for 141L. 18 S.
[equal to $686.80] along Groff's Run. He Built
a log Cabin on the old Groff farm A.D. 1717.
His purchase included the land on which the
Groffdale Meeting House is built.
Died A.D. 1746.

“Hans Graf, older memorial stone behind newer. Photo taken by Pat Baker on” …
0 x

UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:14 pm Evidently, unwanted in the other thread: viewtopic.php?t=5643
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:29 am OP P.1:
Z_DC wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:26 pm I'm just curious about the court case on religious freedom being heard by the Supreme Court this coming Tuesday.
The issue is regarding a postal worker in southern Lancaster County, Gerald Groff, who refused to work on Sundays.

The link below indicates he was a former Mennonite missionary. Does anyone know if he is still a Mennonite?

https://www.hcamag.com/us/specializatio ... ion/442806
Ancestry? Groffdales?

Findagrave / Hans Graf 1661-1746
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11282437/hans-graf
~OUR FAMILIES ANCESTRAL ROOTS~
Hans was said to have been married twice, first was to Ursula Neukomm about 1683, and believed to have had one child through the marriage. Then later re-married to Susanna Orndorf about 1700 and had what was believed to have been ten children along with her.

West Earl Township Lancaster, Pennsylvania - He was the first settler in 1717, named in his honor 1729 "Earl being the English of Graf."

A stone was finally placed at his grave site, but his grave was unknown for quite some time. But after much searching it later was discovered in the graveyard of the Groff Meeting House. It was marked with only a simple slab of sandstone with the initials "H G".

The first Settler,
Came from Switzerland A.D. 1696.
Settlement was made at the head of Groff's Run.
He purchased 1419 Acres of land from John
Richard, S Thomas Penn, for 141L. 18 S.
[equal to $686.80] along Groff's Run. He Built
a log Cabin on the old Groff farm A.D. 1717.
His purchase included the land on which the
Groffdale Meeting House is built.
Died A.D. 1746.

“Hans Graf, older memorial stone behind newer. Photo taken by Pat Baker on” …
Well it was off-topic, wasn't it? Unless the dead guy is the one the Supreme Court case is about.
1 x