omnium-gatherum part deux

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: omnium-gatherum part deux

Post by temporal1 »

Page 2 / http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 6&start=10
Robert wrote:I wonder if they ever made a statement about this.
The Irish slave trade began when 30,000 Irish prisoners were sold as slaves to the New World. The King James I Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.

Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actuallyt white.

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well.

During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves.
They’ll come up with terms like “Indentured Servants” to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.

As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.

African slaves were very expensive during the late 1600s (50 Sterling). Irish slaves came cheap (no more than 5 Sterling). If a planter whipped or branded or beat an Irish slave to death, it was never a crime. A death was a monetary setback, but far cheaper than killing a more expensive African. The English masters quickly began breeding the Irish women for both their own personal pleasure and for greater profit. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, which increased the size of the master’s free workforce. Even if an Irish woman somehow obtained her freedom, her kids would remain slaves of her master. Thus, Irish moms, even with this new found emancipation, would seldom abandon their kids and would remain in servitude.

In time, the English thought of a better way to use these women (in many cases, girls as young as 12) to increase their market share: The settlers began to breed Irish women and girls with African men to produce slaves with a distinct complexion. These new “mulatto” slaves brought a higher price than Irish livestock and, likewise, enabled the settlers to save money rather than purchase new African slaves. This practice of interbreeding Irish females with African men went on for several decades and was so widespread that, in 1681, legislation was passed “forbidding the practice of mating Irish slave women to African slave men for the purpose of producing slaves for sale.” In short, it was stopped only because it interfered with the profits of a large slave transport company.

England continued to ship tens of thousands of Irish slaves for more than a century. Records state that, after the 1798 Irish Rebellion, thousands of Irish slaves were sold to both America and Australia. There were horrible abuses of both African and Irish captives. One British ship even dumped 1,302 slaves into the Atlantic Ocean so that the crew would have plenty of food to eat.

There is little question that the Irish experienced the horrors of slavery as much (if not more in the 17th Century) as the Africans did. There is, also, very little question that those brown, tanned faces you witness in your travels to the West Indies are very likely a combination of African and Irish ancestry. In 1839, Britain finally decided on its own to end its participation in Satan’s highway to hell and stopped transporting slaves. While their decision did not stop pirates from doing what they desired, the new law slowly concluded THIS chapter of nightmarish Irish misery.

But, if anyone, black or white, believes that slavery was only an African experience, then they’ve got it completely wrong.
Irish slavery is a subject worth remembering, not erasing from our memories.
I doubt it.
Robert,
If you see this, i looked for the source, immediately, different links appeared, discrediting, i have no way of knowing what is real. Maybe you do?

i found this, Page 89:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Af ... NJDwAAQBAJ

My young ancestor, John Corbly, 1733-1803, would have been part of this history you shared.
From what i’ve found, in perspective of what happened, he was not treated badly.
Quakers who owned slaves/indentured servants, were said to have been good to them, cared for them. As a group, Quakers formally rejected slavery early-on. Slave owners could not thereafter be Quakers. And, of course, are known for this commitment.
But, some Quakers owned slaves for a period. Bill Rushby would know.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Feeling sentimental today. :)
Heard a bit of a fav old song from Van Morrison, decided to find it on youtube.

When our children were young, we lived near a pond; in winter, we would skate behind snow shovels to clear the ice of frost and snow. i would skate+skate, listening to Van Morrison and others on my Sony Walkman, cassettes. i used it often. With this song, i felt so free, like i was flying over the ice .. the music and simple lyrics are soulful and uplifting ..

i like the graphics added. intimate and down-to-earth, at the same time.

Van Morrison / Have i told you lately? ..
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i received 2 text messages from my son yesterday. :D
this is RARE, i wasn’t sure what it could be.

the first was a photo, he and his girlfriend, very happy, very sweet. :D
the next was a confusing message .. what?? :?

they are preparing to move to Holland, Michigan from So Cal, leaving next week.
but, what? are they already in Holland?? i’m confused. :?

i called. what’s going on? “We got married yesterday!” :shock: :D :? :D 8-) :shock:

i had 1 thousand questions. :blah:
i was so confused. i’ve been hoping for a wedding for .. 5 years??

it was all very sweet. i now have a sweet-sweet daughter-in-law! so precious. :D
i’ll just have to live with my 1 thousand questions and be happy. :D

i was anticipating a wedding in Holland, possibly this year? .. once they found a church, etc.
well. how wonderful.

i already have a gift i’ve been saving for them. i’ve been impatient wanting to give it to them.
now i can put that in motion. it will be “something old” for them. it’s a queen size wool blanket, a Hudson Bay style. it’s too big for me, i had it dry cleaned, it’s been in storage for years, like new. i believe i have the original tags. they’re much pricier now. i hope they like it. i think it will suit them.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... nt-blanket

https://www.wallswithstories.com/furnit ... erica.html

Hudson Bay Trading Post

i have a standard Weber grill, and, probably many things they are welcome to have. :D
but the wool blanket is special. i did not know they were moving to Michigan, either!
things work out.
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Congratulations and prayers for God's graces to fill the new family.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote:Congratulations and prayers for God's graces to fill the new family.
i told my son a couple of years ago it was something of a miracle they found each other in So Cal.
he thinks so much of her. so do i. she’s close with her family (near Chicago). they go to church together, altho not their favorite, a big church. i follow their church news. Holland+area has a number of churches, i hope they find one they can really accept, they both have a lot to offer.

i wasn’t sure what to make of their move, not being married. they have not “lived together,” but have rented 1 house in Holland. they are adults, i did not pry. i thought we might have a wedding in this first year.

my son said, no, they wanted to be married before moving to Holland, so, this was the time for them! i assured him i’m 100% supportive. :D but still with 1 thousand questions. :lol:

what a time to be alive.

i’m very glad to have a daughter in law. i became so close with my inlaws. my mother had one daughter in law that was another daughter to her, and sister to we siblings. time will tell on that. i am very happy she is close with her family, tho. she values family. that will help them. they both value family and church. they are hard workers. humble in spirit. i’m so happy for them.
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Congratulations! I’m happy with you!
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote:Congratulations! I’m happy with you!
now i’m even happier. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

From findagrave.com (under “photos”)
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11282437/hans-graf
Interesting list of names. “Sheaffer.” hmm. i wonder.
i have a close relative that quickly “dead ends.” i wonder if i’ll ever find more. there are several spellings possible.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

.. To remember:
Page 3-4 / Marxist BLM ..
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 64#p102564
reference:
https://www.christiantreasury.org/conte ... ful-christ
barnhart wrote:
Josh wrote: You get bonus points if you’ve read
The Union of the Faithful with Christ, one of Marx’s works before he lost his faith.
Interesting. What does he have to say.
temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:
barnhart wrote: Interesting. What does he have to say.
:arrow: He warns about the emptiness of worldly deceit offered by people like modern day Marxists, and how they offer something which pales in comparison of the joy of knowing our Lord.
Well said.
It does seem like it was written by one who believes, rather than writing to simply fulfill a course requirement. At 17.

The cost of current education has never been higher. Results, hmm. :?
What could be missing? :-|
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

William Bradford / The Mayflower
1st Cousin, 11 times removed.
temporal1 wrote:OP: 2017 / US Thanksgiving
(US Thanksgiving began in Plymouth/Plimouth Colony, British Colonies)
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... t=bradford
Robert wrote:[video][/video]
William Bradford.
Family Search http://www.familysearch.org
just sent a finding that William Bradford is my 1st Cousin, 11 times removed. :shock:
With names+dates to trace back. Through my father’s mother. i had no idea.

Last year, i viewed a melancholy and fascinating documentary on the Mayflower journey, largely featuring William Bradford, especially about the importance his writings to history of his time, beginning when he was an orphaned child in England, and how the Bible was a great influence on him, from a child.

The impact of getting printed Bibles into “everyone’s” hands cannot be overstated.

December 2019 / When the Puritans banned Christmas
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... ims#p75056
temporal1 wrote:i recently viewed a documentary on the Pilgrims. kinda sad.

:arrow: Trailer: Ric Burns / The Pilgrims / 3 min.

i enjoy historical documentaries, attempts at reenactments.
it’s so hard to understand people IN ACCURATE CONTEXT of their day.
i always wonder, “where would i have been?” “what would i have done?” :?
i imagine tough times.

i have a lot of empathy, people TRY so hard.

i think it’s pretty safe to guess, we would be no better than any, and, maybe not as good.
one day we will be, might be, remembered in some light. what will it be?

i honestly doubt our current significance in history. i’m not sensing anything-much worth remembering. “The Annoying Ones?!” :lol:
many grand cultures have been covered up in history, leaving little or nothing behind.

i believe scriptures about this temporal world. :P
Reviewing Ric Burns’ documentary now, the similarities in motivation of these believers with Anabaptists is striking. They left England to live in “freer” Holland, eventually decided Holland culture was too worldly, then took the very radical and very risky journey to the Colonies.

i think Ric Burns’ decision to present this work in melancholy terms fits the history.
which is hard to grasp from where today’s world exists. imho.
0 x

UNKNOWN