Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

5 Things That Might Surprise You About Amish Buggies

Post by MaxPC »

Some interesting tech I didn't know about :D
Article
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: 5 Things That Might Surprise You About Amish Buggies

Post by Soloist »

There was one group I recall hearing about that doesn't use the orange triangle... too worldly? I guess the court is trying to force them since several accidents have happened. I would wonder if that group used some of these innovations in their buggy.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote:There was one group I recall hearing about that doesn't use the orange triangle... too worldly? I guess the court is trying to force them since several accidents have happened. I would wonder if that group used some of these innovations in their buggy.
No, Swartzentrubers avoid these innovations (except unknowingly). Their lights are lanterns, not electric.

On Monday I saw a fellow in Winesburg driving a "tractor" at 9 PM with an almost fully enclosed cabin homemade out of sheet metal with a propane heater attached, barreling away at about 35 MPH pulling a load.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Don't forget the nice pin striping you see on a lot of buggies. :) I believe a new buggy is in the 8 to 12 thousand dollar range in our area as well. When you add the 10 thousand dollar bike that a lot of the young guys get and the 2000 dollar horse you are not to far from the price of a almost new car.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

appleman2006 wrote:Don't forget the nice pin striping you see on a lot of buggies. :) I believe a new buggy is in the 8 to 12 thousand dollar range in our area as well. When you add the 10 thousand dollar bike that a lot of the young guys get and the 2000 dollar horse you are not to far from the price of a almost new car.
Only $2,000 for a horse?

When I read the reasoning behind Amish avoiding cars, it really didn't have anything to do with cost.
In our areas, the bikes are not that expensive that the Amish use- but the Swartzentrubers in my own county, do not even allow bicycles.

The main reason I heard that Amish avoid cars- is they believe it separates families too much- it's too easy for them to each go their own way. Similar to having the phone 'in the house' so they had outside shared phone shanties. The focus on these ordinances were to keep family time has priority- it's very difficult these days for them to keep this- so many outside challenges. Many have to hire drivers or ride in vans to get to work. That doesn't make them hypocritical, they still believe if family members own their own cars, it will be too easy to spend less time together.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The idea wasn't so much to promote family time in a nuclear family as to promote spending with your neighbours and extended family in your own church district.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

appleman2006 wrote:Don't forget the nice pin striping you see on a lot of buggies. :) I believe a new buggy is in the 8 to 12 thousand dollar range in our area as well. When you add the 10 thousand dollar bike that a lot of the young guys get and the 2000 dollar horse you are not to far from the price of a almost new car.
Someone told me that when an Amish group considers getting cars, the main driving force is the cost savings.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:The idea wasn't so much to promote family time in a nuclear family as to promote spending with your neighbours and extended family in your own church district.
I'm just referring to a book written by an Amish bishop addressing why they abstain from driving cars- so apparently we have learned different but similar reasons. Kind of like the phone- it takes away from family time.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:
Josh wrote:The idea wasn't so much to promote family time in a nuclear family as to promote spending with your neighbours and extended family in your own church district.
I'm just referring to a book written by an Amish bishop addressing why they abstain from driving cars- so apparently we have learned different but similar reasons. Kind of like the phone- it takes away from family time.
What book was that?
0 x