Elmendorf

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Elmendorf

Post by MaxPC »

In the Rocky Cape thread, Elmendorf was mentioned as being connected in some fashion to Rocky Cape.

I found their website, Elmendorf Christian Community. It seems to be less traditional than some of the other colonies. Of course I could be wrong.

I was wondering also about the their Hutterite roots. Does Elmendorf and Rocky Cape still maintain relationships with other more traditional Hutterite communities such as intermarriage?

Final query: I didn't see Rocky Cape listed in the Hutterites' directory. Is RC not considered Hutterite?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Elmendorf

Post by Josh »

None of these people are in fellowship with the rest of Hutteritedom.

The rumour I heard was that the rest of the Hutterites wanted Elmendorf to disicipline Peter Hoover for some of his remarks (I think along the lines of "no Hutterites who don't accept a Protestant-evangelical view of salvation are saved"). They didn't.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

the amusing thing to me is when I was reaching out to the closer Hutterites to myself, they actually told me I couldn't join, in fact they would not permit anyone to join them but I should look into the Elmendorf community and gave me phone numbers to call them. I lost the number though...

Does anyone know how Dean Taylor was with them and his advanced medical training? I was told that even if I could join the Hutterites, they would not permit me to practice any medical of any kind because it would make me prideful. Is Elmendorf similar?

For the record, the Hutterite stance on witnessing only through business partners is troubling (at least the few colonies near me) and I don't want to spend years before really understanding the Germanic sermons.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Soloist wrote:the amusing thing to me is when I was reaching out to the closer Hutterites to myself, they actually told me I couldn't join, in fact they would not permit anyone to join them but I should look into the Elmendorf community and gave me phone numbers to call them. I lost the number though...

Does anyone know how Dean Taylor was with them and his advanced medical training? I was told that even if I could join the Hutterites, they would not permit me to practice any medical of any kind because it would make me prideful. Is Elmendorf similar?

For the record, the Hutterite stance on witnessing only through business partners is troubling (at least the few colonies near me) and I don't want to spend years before really understanding the Germanic sermons.
Interesting. So it seems Elmendorf is more open to change?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

Oh, wow. I haven't seen that website for quite a while. Someone has given it a complete overhaul. I was surprised to see my own face looking back at me. (The guy with the impact wrench.)

Elmendorf started as a normal Hutterite colony but about 15 years ago they were expelled from the traditional conference. They preached in English, with their own thoughts instead of reading the old German sermons from the 1600s. They baptised people at times other than Easter and gave assistance to troubled young people who had left other colonies. Their worst offence, in the words of one of the traditional preachers, was they "made every man a preacher". They had all the brothers take turns addressing the assembly and even praying in public, which traditionally is the exclusive domain of the colony elder.

Today they are still supposed to be shunned by the colonies although some of them choose to ignore it. Others are much more rigid. There is a colony 5 miles away from Elmendorf. Their preacher did not allow one of their families to attend their daughter's wedding at Elmendorf. Others are allowed to visit and recently some have even been allowed to stay overnight.

As far as Rocky Cape, I really don't know how the colonies view them. Most likely, most have no idea of their existence. There are different versions of the Hutterite directory. In one of the recent ones, Rocky Cape and the four communities affiliated with them were under a special subcategory of their own, titled Independent.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you, Peregrino. If you don't mind me asking:

Who are the 4 colonies affiliated with Rocky Cape?

Is there an online copy of the directory listing Rocky Cape?

I know that Hutterites do go into towns in small groups. Some of the colonies listen to radio too. That exposure to the outside world is going to bring different ideas and change.

I'll have to see if I can find your photo :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Soloist wrote:the amusing thing to me is when I was reaching out to the closer Hutterites to myself, they actually told me I couldn't join, in fact they would not permit anyone to join them but I should look into the Elmendorf community and gave me phone numbers to call them. I lost the number though...

Dean is at Altona, which is affiliated with Elmendorf and Fort Pitt.

I had my own amusing encounter with the Hutterites when I left the Bruderhof. I got a call from one of the colonies telling me warmly that my family would be quite welcome there. He asked if I spoke German, and some how in the course of that conversation he discovered that my wife and I were not the physicians who had left the Bruderhof, but instead just a couple of common working folks. The offer to come out to the colony was quickly withdrawn.
0 x
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

If you're interested, you can get a little glimpse into daily life at Elmendorf here.
0 x
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

MaxPC wrote:Thank you, Peregrino. If you don't mind me asking:

Who are the 4 colonies affiliated with Rocky Cape?

Is there an online copy of the directory listing Rocky Cape?

I know that Hutterites do go into towns in small groups. Some of the colonies listen to radio too. That exposure to the outside world is going to bring different ideas and change.

I'll have to see if I can find your photo :D
The four communities loosely affiliated with Rocky Cape are Elmendorf and Altona in Minnesota, Fort Pitt in Saskatchewan, and Grand River in Missouri.

The only directories I've ever seen are spiral-bound print versions. They come in a desktop size and a smaller size that goes into the glove compartment of all the road vehicles on every colony.

Actually, concealable smartphones have done more than almost anything else to put young people in contact with those who have left. Although rumor has it that some of the more zealous preachers are fighting back with hot-rodded scanners that can monitor all cell phone conversations within range.
0 x
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

Dean practiced anesthesia regularly while living at Elmendorf as well as at Altona. I believe he dropped it for now to focus on other ministry opportunities that have come up. He and his family are headed to Lesvos for a few months.

I am curious what you are referring to by "the Hutterite stance on witnessing only through business partners"? Elmendorf is very Hutterite in some ways and very unHutterite in other ways. As an outsider, I haven't figured out everything about the culture yet.
0 x