Speaking of Rocky Cape...

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Speaking of Rocky Cape...

Post by MaxPC »

If I remember correctly: Peter Hoover has passed away and his son, also Peter, now leads? Or is that incorrect?

Perhaps the statement of faith is a lived experience among the longtime members such that the written was created to be used to educate newer members?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote:If I remember correctly: Peter Hoover has passed away and his son, also Peter, now leads? Or is that incorrect?

Perhaps the statement of faith is a lived experience among the longtime members such that the written was created to be used to educate newer members?
What I'm trying to say is that with the first generation of founding families still there, that second generation still has the living examples to follow.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

MaxPC wrote:If I remember correctly: Peter Hoover has passed away and his son, also Peter, now leads? Or is that incorrect?
Incorrect. :) Peter is still alive and well. I had an email conversation with him just this week. Actually, Peter does not share his name with his father or any of his sons.

A very common misconception among people is that Peter is a leader of the community. That is not the case at all. His prolific writings going out all over the globe has made him the only voice of the community for many people. It has been a shock to people to arrive and discover that the reality on the ground is not like the letters they were reading. The Hutterite background members of the community have asked him to discontinue the Sunlit Kingdom newsletter because they felt it was attracting many starry-eyed dreamers who could never fit into a well-ordered practical community.
Yes, that might be close to the way it is perceived. The Hutterite culture is very different from what I was used to in this regard. There is a very deep commitment to each other, i.e. the actual flesh and blood people you are living with, rather than to any creed or agreement, written or otherwise. There is actually a deep-seated mistrust of writing things down and solidifying things too much. It can lead to trying to enforce what is written and destroying relationships in the process. It is shocking at times to rigid "church purity" background people how long less than ideal situations are tolerated and worked with rather than cutting people off. This mentality is a double-edged sword although not more so than the AM willingness to sever relationships at the drop of a hat over some doctrinal or application difference.

The online statement of faith in question here is a response to a legal requirement of some kind to be registered as a religious organisation. And it has the double purpose of weeding out those interested souls who are so far from seeing things as we do that it would be very disruptive to community life to have them visit.

(Disclaimer. I am not a Hutterite background person and these are strictly my thoughts and observations after living with these people for 4 years. They certainly do not reflect the entirety of the blended community thought you would experience upon visiting and conversing with everyone.)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:

What I'm trying to say is that with the first generation of founding families still there, that second generation still has the living examples to follow.
Rocky Cape is a young community (newer than the church in Gympie) and doesn't have a second generation yet. There is unfortunately no multi generational "lived experience" of Anabaptism in Australia outside of the Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarene).
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you for the clarification, Peregrino. It's good to have correct information.

It seems they're trying to keep a balance to avoid legalism on one end and relativism on the opposite end. To me that's one sign of a healthy community and attitude.
Peregrino wrote:
Incorrect. :) Peter is still alive and well. I had an email conversation with him just this week. Actually, Peter does not share his name with his father or any of his sons.

A very common misconception among people is that Peter is a leader of the community. That is not the case at all. His prolific writings going out all over the globe has made him the only voice of the community for many people. It has been a shock to people to arrive and discover that the reality on the ground is not like the letters they were reading. The Hutterite background members of the community have asked him to discontinue the Sunlit Kingdom newsletter because they felt it was attracting many starry-eyed dreamers who could never fit into a well-ordered practical community.
Yes, that might be close to the way it is perceived. The Hutterite culture is very different from what I was used to in this regard. There is a very deep commitment to each other, i.e. the actual flesh and blood people you are living with, rather than to any creed or agreement, written or otherwise. There is actually a deep-seated mistrust of writing things down and solidifying things too much. It can lead to trying to enforce what is written and destroying relationships in the process. It is shocking at times to rigid "church purity" background people how long less than ideal situations are tolerated and worked with rather than cutting people off. This mentality is a double-edged sword although not more so than the AM willingness to sever relationships at the drop of a hat over some doctrinal or application difference.

The online statement of faith in question here is a response to a legal requirement of some kind to be registered as a religious organisation. And it has the double purpose of weeding out those interested souls who are so far from seeing things as we do that it would be very disruptive to community life to have them visit.

(Disclaimer. I am not a Hutterite background person and these are strictly my thoughts and observations after living with these people for 4 years. They certainly do not reflect the entirety of the blended community thought you would experience upon visiting and conversing with everyone.)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Disciple of Christ
Affiliation: Impartial Christian

Post by Disciple of Christ »

I've heard that the Detention River People (once Rocky Cape) have just bought a place of their own in Paraguay. Does anybody know their exact address?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Disciple of Christ wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:28 am I've heard that the Detention River People (once Rocky Cape) have just bought a place of their own in Paraguay. Does anybody know their exact address?
No, and I was under the impression the place they went to is not one known for “exact addresses”.

Last I heard the entire colony has moved and the Rocky Cape property has already been sold.
0 x
Disciple of Christ

>>> No, and I was under the impression the place they went to is not one known for “exact addresses”.

Some of them moved to Colonia Luz y Esperanza, which was started by Beachy Amish Mennonites in 1967, but it seems they've bought a property of their own recently.
Last edited by Disciple of Christ on Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Disciple of Christ wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 am >>> No, and I was under the impression the place they went to is not one known for “exact addresses”.

Some of them moved to Colonia Luz y Esperanza, which was started by the Beach Amish Mennonites in 1967, but it seems they've bought a property of their own recently.
I understand they are in an area where there are other German speakers.
0 x
Disciple of Christ

>>> I understand they are in an area where there are other German speakers.

This could be everywhere in Paraguay.
0 x