Genealogy

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Genealogy

Post by Josh »

I signed up for 23andme and a while ago. Amongst other highlights, I am 0.3% West African (from my mother's side) and 0.1%-0.2% Mongol / Asian (from my dad's side).

It is also interesting to see how many 4th and 5th cousins I have spread around the world. I can also definitively absolutely say that I have no Mennonite or other ethnic Anabaptist ancestry - which is a little bit surprising, as there was a lot of crossover between the Anabaptist and Quaker worlds in the 1700s.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Genghis Khan got around. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Wife and two daughters have all done their dna with Ancestry.com. Came back with surprising results. I was supposed to be 1/4 Italian. Mother was 1/2. One daughter has 2% while the other has 0%. The one with 0% could be seen in Rome and everyone would assume she is Italian. We can easily trace our lineage to a city in Italy, yet very little Italian in the DNA. We are working to get my mother's DNA tested to see what her makeup is.

They were able to upload their DNA to some medical sites and it identifies markers for several things. Quite interesting.

I told my daughters they were not getting rid of me that easily. I had to raise them. The can not disclaim me now that I get some of the benefits. I will have to rethink Lasagna as my favorite food now.

Wife turned out to be a Viking Warrior Princess. Well, lot of Scandinavian and her DNA suggests she is prone to aggressive behaviors. I added the princess thing, since she still makes me bow in her presence.

On a serious note, it did identify some of the markers for the chronic conditions they all have. Our house has been abuzz with DNA talk the past 2 weeks. I just work on puzzles with the middle boy as they whir with new finds and fain interest.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:Genghis Khan got around. :P
They are fairly certain they know what his markers are and I don't have any of 'em... but I might have a little bit of the "Hun" as in "Hungary" in me.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Robert wrote:Wife and two daughters have all done their dna with Ancestry.com. Came back with surprising results. I was supposed to be 1/4 Italian. Mother was 1/2. One daughter has 2% while the other has 0%. The one with 0% could be seen in Rome and everyone would assume she is Italian. We can easily trace our lineage to a city in Italy, yet very little Italian in the DNA. We are working to get my mother's DNA tested to see what her makeup is.

They were able to upload their DNA to some medical sites and it identifies markers for several things. Quite interesting.

I told my daughters they were not getting rid of me that easily. I had to raise them. The can not disclaim me now that I get some of the benefits. I will have to rethink Lasagna as my favorite food now.

Wife turned out to be a Viking Warrior Princess. Well, lot of Scandinavian and her DNA suggests she is prone to aggressive behaviors. I added the princess thing, since she still makes me bow in her presence.

On a serious note, it did identify some of the markers for the chronic conditions they all have. Our house has been abuzz with DNA talk the past 2 weeks. I just work on puzzles with the middle boy as they whir with new finds and fain interest.
I kind of wish I could link up 23andme and Ancestry results so we could see if we are at all related, etc.

Eventually, if enough people get this done, we will be able to build a geneology / family tree of most of the world. That'll be something else!
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Wife designed her own tee shirt.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

My niece texted me the other day and told me, to my surprise, that Mom's maiden name is a common Ashkenazi surname. I guess in my mind, German and Jewish didn't go together. And on my dad's side, my cousin proudly announced on Facebook that we are direct descendants of Queen Mary of Scotland (although British herself)--for what it's worth.

Oh well, all that matters in the end is that I'm a child of the King.

A pastor's wife once commented, in the context of the song, "I'm No Kin to the Monkey", after the lines, "I don't know much about his ancestry, but mine didn't swing from a tree." Her remark to me was, "I can't sing that song, because one of my ancestors was a horse thief, and he did swing from a tree." :o Of which, I dare say, most any of us have [that type] in our family tree.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I hate horses - not too much chance of me being a horse thief.
1 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

But I do have a cousin who is in prison after being charged with murdering his common law wife and her daughter.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

o.joy. :lol:
where is the "falling flat" icon? that was a good one.

your words remind of Helen Keller's profound observation:
"There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors,
and no slave who has not had a king among his."
Helen Keller
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quot ... 95654.html
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN