When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Good things ..

Post by temporal1 »

Page 20
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=190
Jazman wrote:
Dan Z wrote:I know this has been said, but I too deeply appreciate this President’s Pro-life support, including being the first in-person president at the March For Life.
Are you sure it's genuine though? I'm skeptical... In the long run, does move really further the cause of anti-abortion?
Even if he's turning towards something that could be genuine, he really is only a few years removed from publicly bragging about assaulting women and with that, the implication he doesn't care about the procreative possibilities involved either... Rob Schenck, who spent years in the pro-life/anti-abortion movement, recently wrote this, and I think it's spot on:
"With the campaign of Donald Trump, the movement I once devoted my life to was swallowed up by a political leviathan. In Trump’s craven pursuit of power, prestige, and the adulation of the crowds, the once poster boy for a lifestyle of pleasure-seeking and self-absorption that required legalized abortion for its own preservation, offered a deal to pro-lifers: Sell out to me and I’ll sell out to you. You’ll get everything you want if you give me everything I want." Rob Schenk
And then there's this really good piece from Scot McKnight on "statism"
"At no time in my life have I seen the church more engaged in politics and more absorbed by a political story. I’m not referring here simply to Republican vs. Democrat or Conservative vs. Progressive. Rather, I mean the belief that what matters most is what happens in D.C. and if we get the right candidate elected America can be saved." - Scott McKnight
Most of the anti-abortion, politically active christians I know, have all bought into this "statism" completely... It's why they're one-issue voters - they really think one man, as president can magically change things...
He doesn't specifically address Trump or abortion, but I think it applies... I personally think it's wrong to hang the pro-life movement/goals/etc on one person, especially the Pres; and that idea has been wrong since the 80's when the same group of politicized christians did it with Reagan (even though he had earlier promoted more liberalized abortion in the state he governed...) IMO, I'd rather no pres show up at the march and especially not trump. I think it's a poor strategy at changing hearts & minds (especially neighbors), which is where the real work of anti-abortion beliefs needs to be done. I would pretty much guarantee that most or all of the progressive/liberal movers/shakers etc who support abortion and the "lifestyle of pleasure-seeking" mentioned by Rob above, are having the biggest and hardening-of-heart laugh of their lives knowing a person like Trump went to the pro-life march... to me, trumps appearance at this is actually a setback to the big picture goals of the movement... but I guess I can't prove that now because the future that we don't know is involved... maybe I'll be proven wrong.
temporal1 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:I know this has been said, but I too deeply appreciate this President’s Pro-life support, including being the first in-person president at the March For Life.
i can’t be sure, but my perception is, this was a milestone for decades of effort made without much public acknowledgement. Nick Sandmann’s presence and recent settlement was another special encouragement. Dr Alveda King positively “glowed” that day. LOADS of college and high school students present.

It seemed so positive, healthy, and peaceful. :)
i don’t think DECADES of effort by MILLIONS of diverse people VOLUNTEERING for prolife can or should be damaged by 1 visit by 1 POTUS. if he has this kind of power in your life, i recommend self-check of heart issues.

the “others” i can’t “unsee,” or unhear, are (esp) obama and hillary, each making DNC party platform pledges to Planned Parenthood, for-profit-corporate-abortion and infanticide. other DNC leaders following right along. they are invested! this is off-the-charts wrong for me.

the DNC OWNS THIS. and much more.
no one forced them to draw this line in the sand. THEY CHOSE IT.
Historically, politicians are not anywhere near as candid as this, double-talking for votes, but, for however long it lasts, it can sure help some decide what’s acceptable and what’s not.

i’m replying in B.T.s, the (Good things) thread had been wandering, but when a thread specifically on “good things” goes so far off, B.T.s is available. :)

presumably, some mistake gov for god, some may confuse DJT, obama, etc., for god, but i’ll hold out for the majority to know better. well, and, many just don’t care. (i agree, “gov as god” is a big deal. one i believe MLK Jr inadvertently spearheaded .. another topic.)

go ahead and hate as you desire, tho. i don’t mean to be a total buzzkill. :?

personally, i’m always kinda amazed at how much influence the office of POTUS, and all places of leadership, for instance, school principals, have. for me, it’s curious how that works.

i find this visit by DJT to MFL an interesting gesture.
after decades of presidents, and MSM silence.
MSM silence for decades represents more questions (in my mind) than DJT’s one visit.

that, and the fact media silence did NOT stop all those dedicated individuals over all those years. something important must have been motivating them. something more than media limelight. :D

i guess there is more than media judgment.
.. what could it be?? ..

(i suspect) those that hate DJT no matter what he does or says, have made a sort of UN-idol out of him, inadvertently attributing much more power to him than is humanly possible.

he really is just a man. really limited to 8 years max as POTUS. really limited to 1 life on earth.

hate is powerful. i suppose it could be a false god, itself.
the more it continues, the more i expect it’s possible.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

lastly. ^^ :oops: :oops:
in a representative government, the elected are to represent voters, the people.
not press their ideologies onto the people.

i believe this is where many faithful would not participate in elected office, or other work that would demand they act against their beliefs.
so, not only is DJT not a god, but, even if he does not personally believe in prolife, or is not “perfectly” prolife, he has a professional responsibility to represent.

i can’t begin to judge his heart. our paths will never cross. i can see, as POTUS, he supports prolife policies.

this is where biden, pelosi, durbin, and others who claim Catholicism, are questioned about their staunch commitment to abortion. communion is in question for them. choices.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Good things ..

Post by temporal1 »

Page 20
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=190
Valerie wrote:
Jazman wrote:

Are you sure it's genuine though? I'm skeptical... In the long run, does move really further the cause of anti-abortion?
Even if he's turning towards something that could be genuine, he really is only a few years removed from publicly bragging about assaulting women and with that, the implication he doesn't care about the procreative possibilities involved either... Rob Schenck, who spent years in the pro-life/anti-abortion movement, recently wrote this, and I think it's spot on:
"With the campaign of Donald Trump, the movement I once devoted my life to was swallowed up by a political leviathan. In Trump’s craven pursuit of power, prestige, and the adulation of the crowds, the once poster boy for a lifestyle of pleasure-seeking and self-absorption that required legalized abortion for its own preservation, offered a deal to pro-lifers: Sell out to me and I’ll sell out to you. You’ll get everything you want if you give me everything I want." Rob Schenk

And then there's this really good piece from Scot McKnight on "statism"
"At no time in my life have I seen the church more engaged in politics and more absorbed by a political story. I’m not referring here simply to Republican vs. Democrat or Conservative vs. Progressive. Rather, I mean the belief that what matters most is what happens in D.C. and if we get the right candidate elected America can be saved." - Scott McKnight
Most of the anti-abortion, politically active christians I know, have all bought into this "statism" completely... It's why they're one-issue voters - they really think one man, as president can magically change things...
He doesn't specifically address Trump or abortion, but I think it applies... I personally think it's wrong to hang the pro-life movement/goals/etc on one person, especially the Pres; and that idea has been wrong since the 80's when the same group of politicized christians did it with Reagan (even though he had earlier promoted more liberalized abortion in the state he governed...) IMO, I'd rather no pres show up at the march and especially not trump. I think it's a poor strategy at changing hearts & minds (especially neighbors), which is where the real work of anti-abortion beliefs needs to be done. I would pretty much guarantee that most or all of the progressive/liberal movers/shakers etc who support abortion and the "lifestyle of pleasure-seeking" mentioned by Rob above, are having the biggest and hardening-of-heart laugh of their lives knowing a person like Trump went to the pro-life march... to me, trumps appearance at this is actually a setback to the big picture goals of the movement... but I guess I can't prove that now because the future that we don't know is involved... maybe I'll be proven wrong.
Valerie:
The anti-abortion movement has been helped by his support-
If Apostle Paul didn't discourage the Gospel being preached by 'jealous persons' then I suppose I do not take issue with a President who supports, instead of speaks against- the Pro-Life movement!

Especially in light of the fact that if he'd have lost, they would not have gained ANY momentum probably- who could know for sure? [It would have required a miracle; i believe in, and pray for miracles. Continuing prayers, it’s far from over. Just witnessing pro-abortion politicians “double down” where ever possible, in spite of “God Trump,” attests to that.
IL and Virginia DNC politicians are “on fire” for abortion.]

It's helped the cause, and the cause is saving lives.
If those who are skeptical want to be skeptical- let them be.
Let God be true and every man a liar.
The history of DIVERSITY in prolife is key.
To be fair, Catholics may have the most consistent track record, and biggest time+money investment (?)
(It’s not a competition, it’s mutual encouragement and cooperation, but, giving credit where credit is due.) Catholics mostly align with Dems. Thankfully, mostly not on abortion. :-|

i am encouraged by young peoples’ support.
i’m encouraged that ALL THE LIES being pushed onto them are not enjoying a “grand slam.”
Truth lives.

Catholics have a lot to do with that, they have the freedom to share Truth In their schools, they can and do encourage support of MFL, adoption, ministering to mothers in tough situations, they have ministries to serve mothers who chose abortion, etc. It represents a HUGE overall effort.

Prolife goes on, “rain or shine,” it’s far from political party dependent, or POTUS dependent.
Decades of PROOF.

Supporting DJT is difficult for many Catholics. The DNC chose to clarify their position.
From what i read, the (not Republican, not pro-DJT) pope chose Life!

:arrow: The DNC could not have made decision-making easier.

It’s incredulous to me how this is even in debate.
It shows the power of corporate profits and lobbies. Frightening power. :shock:

“Pope Francis addresses participants at a conference in the Vatican entitled “Yes to Life! -
Caring for the precious gift of life in its frailness”.
By Vatican News
https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news ... peech.html

i did not realize Pope Francis compared abortion to “hiring a hitman.” :shock:

But, i agree. it is premeditated, for-hire murder;
in all other cases, courts take specially dim views of premeditated, for-hire murder!
The fact is, contemporary big corporations have had laws crafted to not only exempt them from punishment, but to protect and support/fund their (crimes). :shock:

DJT is a response to awful-horrible policies. Not perfect. But a response.
Evangelicals are not responsible for DJT. They are part of the response to awful policies.
Only part.

:arrow: Will the DNC ever do any self-reflection?
Or just continue with mind-numbing aggression to defeat and prevail? :?

The latter is a mighty weak foundation. It is not life-affirming. :(
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Lip service

Post by temporal1 »

WORD HISTORIES
HOW WORDS AND PHRASES CAME INTO EXISTENCE

THE DEVOTIONAL ORIGIN OF ‘LIP SERVICE’
The term lip service means insincere support or respect expressed but not put into practice—cf. also to bow (down) in the house of Rimmon.

https://wordhistories.net/2017/12/17/li ... ce-origin/
.. The term is first recorded in A treatise against witchcraft (Cambridge, 1590),
by Henry Holland (circa 1556-1604), English priest and writer on witchcraft:

Satan sometimes would preach the gospell him selfe, and he seemeth to loue it, and to delight to heare it sounding: else wherefore would his wicked exorcistes, and coniurers so often chatter it vnto him: And by the maid which had the spirit of diuination at Philippi, he cried, or made her speake:
these men are the seruants of the most high God which shewe vnto vs the way of salvation:
And in the Gospell it is written they doe most honourably speake of Christ; thou art Christ the very sonne of God.

I answere, those wicked exorcists and coniurers delight Satan much in abusing with their prophane lippes, the holy worde of God:
for the truth is, he nothing regardeth the outwarde letter of the worde, no more then their characters, signes, crosses, figures, &c. but this he will haue them doe, the more to blinde them and others,
and to keepe men in the externall lippe seruice, least men shoulde vnderstand the powerfull working vertue of that holie word and the graces of true religion.
It continues, and, it’s interesting word history. :)

This post is just a bunny trail thought from another thread.
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=30
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: CAM Molestation Issue

Post by temporal1 »

Time4Truth wrote:
TruthSeeker wrote: With another victim, Harold's own grandchild, having come forward, what is his church's and any investigative team's urgent obligation to the situation?

(What is needed for proof? A videotape?)
The judge in the Jeriah Mast case spoke clearly to this very thing .....the lack of urgency in dealing with allegations and the attempt to protect the predator in the CA circles. His question "WHY"?
Same!!!
i have been wondering what “you two” might think of in response to a post in another thread from last June. If you have time, are willing to read/respond to undershepherd, it would be appreciated. :)

Page 4 - undershepherd (bottom of page)
The “official” Jeriah Mast statement from his church
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 6&start=30

The thread has lots of worthwhile response. i recommend reading through it.
try to ignore my posts. :?
(keep in mind, the topic was pretty new on forum in June.) before either of you registered. :)
for reference, undershepherd has been part of MD-MN since the early days, 1996-ish.

can that be right?! if so, tempus really fugits. :shock: :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:for reference, undershepherd has been part of MD-MN since the early days, 1996-ish.
No. More like 2005-ish.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:for reference, undershepherd has been part of MD-MN since the early days, 1996-ish.
No. More like 2005-ish.
which-ish are you? :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
No. More like 2005-ish.
which-ish are you? :D
2007-ish.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Back in 1996, the extent of Mennonites on the Internet was running into folks like zhixel or warty on IRC. (Or Robert, but I never ran into him.)
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Back in 1996, the extent of Mennonites on the Internet was running into folks like zhixel or warty on IRC. (Or Robert, but I never ran into him.)
Teen Hans Mast and his friends were experimenting in 1996. :)
It wasn’t 2006 was it??
(Please correct if my memory fails!)

He once posted on the CAM topic on MN:
Page 2 / June 2019
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 030#p56030
hansmast wrote:Thanks, Dan, for the great post! And thanks Josh for highlighting it.

Here are a few of my further thoughts along with something I wrote in 2017 warning about this exact scenario.
.. .. When did Robert first register on MD? ..
i’m not sure. i arrived in 2011, i think. i’m not sure. there were several “MD originals” at that time. by the end of the year, many of those left MD, going to work, marrying, starting families, etc.
the forum starting “maturing” then. (cough) :P :lol:

i hoped younger sibs would fill in for the originals, but, not really.
i read, FB and other tech choices lured them away.
0 x

UNKNOWN