Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Commands of Christ, listed

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:KB I'm still interested in your answer to my query. Do you think that how a group understands the nature of Christ Himself will impact their understanding of His authority when giving commands?

For example, which has greater authority: a man who is also the Son of God or a good but only human individual like Mahatma Ghandi?
I'm fine with answering here :)
Yes, I think that if one believes Jesus was just a man,then that'll surely impact things. However, I know no Christians that esteem Jesus as only a man.
To answer as to why I linked that particular list, I believe Christadelphian/ CoG General Conference's view to be the most Biblical in light of Messianic prophecy and simple reading. I see no fault in them.
Thank you for answering.

I've been to their website and I wonder which of their views you feel to be most Biblical? Here's the list from their website of the doctrines that they reject:
http://www.christadelphia.org/reject.php
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:KB I'm still interested in your answer to my query. Do you think that how a group understands the nature of Christ Himself will impact their understanding of His authority when giving commands?

For example, which has greater authority: a man who is also the Son of God or a good but only human individual like Mahatma Ghandi?
Yes, I think that if one believes Jesus was just a man,then that'll surely impact things. However, I know no Christians that esteem Jesus as only a man.
To answer as to why I linked that particular list, I believe Christadelphian/ CoG General Conference's view to be the most Biblical in light of Messianic prophecy and simple reading. I see no fault in them.
KingdomBuilder wrote:

Thank you for answering.

I've been to their website and I wonder which of their views you feel to be most Biblical? Here's the list from their website of the doctrines that they reject:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote: I've been to their website and I wonder which of their views you feel to be most Biblical? Here's the list from their website of the doctrines that they reject:
Number 11 is the only one I can't agree with, as I'm not sure what they're saying.
I like that list a lot, actually.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote: I've been to their website and I wonder which of their views you feel to be most Biblical? Here's the list from their website of the doctrines that they reject:
Number 11 is the only one I can't agree with, as I'm not sure what they're saying.
I like that list a lot, actually.
They believe there is no independent being or a fallen angel called Satan, but that Satan or the devil is merely a synonym for adversary, sometimes applies to human beings, and refers to the general principle of evil or the inclination to sin in mankind.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
MaxPC

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by MaxPC »

I agree that there's a problem with #11 at http://www.christadelphia.org/reject.php.

I also think there's some problems with:
#3 We reject the doctrine - that the Son of God was co-eternal with the Father.
(John 1:1 says to me that Christ is co-eternal with God.)

#7 We reject the doctrine - that man has an immortal soul.
(There's so much that can be said about this it would take several theses.)

#16 We reject the doctrine - that the resurrection is confined to the faithful.
(Not sure how they are defining this but at first blush, this doesn't resonate well.)

The more I dig into their beliefs and rejections, the more I wonder if they have a set of definitions somewhere that might indicate a different meaning than those that are commonly accepted. As it stands, there's quite a bit here that's raising concerns in my mind.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:I agree that there's a problem with #11 at http://www.christadelphia.org/reject.php.

I also think there's some problems with:
#3 We reject the doctrine - that the Son of God was co-eternal with the Father.
(John 1:1 says to me that Christ is co-eternal with God.)

#7 We reject the doctrine - that man has an immortal soul.
(There's so much that can be said about this it would take several theses.)

#16 We reject the doctrine - that the resurrection is confined to the faithful.
(Not sure how they are defining this but at first blush, this doesn't resonate well.)

The more I dig into their beliefs and rejections, the more I wonder if they have a set of definitions somewhere that might indicate a different meaning than those that are commonly accepted. As it stands, there's quite a bit here that's raising concerns in my mind.
Me too. This article in Wikipedia seems to clearly show places where they differ from mainstream Christianity.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MattY

Post by MattY »

KingdomBuilder wrote:

They might not believe he was only a regular man in every respect as the rest of us, but they do believe he was merely a special man - and they reject his pre-existence - in other words, they say he didn't exist until he was conceived by the Virgin Mary. And they deny his deity.

http://www.christadelphia.org/belief.php
We believe that the Bible is quite clear in its presentation that Christ is a man. The Son of God, but certainly not God Himself. The bulk of mainstream Christianity has staked its life on the assertion that Jesus is God. However, this is to be rejected for the following inescapable reasons, and many more:
We believe the trinity ideology is actually an insult to both God and Jesus. To say that God could be reduced to a form that could walk among us is to completely ignore the shear magnitude of God's power. This idea makes God small, capable of being touched by sinful human hands.
http://cbmresources.org/forums/index.ph ... aith-1871/
18. THE ETERNAL SONSHIP OF CHRIST.—That the Son of God was not co-eternal with the Father, but is the result of the Father’s manifestation in the flesh, by operation of Holy Spirit upon Mary, in the manner defined in par. 7.
Bottom line: They believe completely unbiblical heresy. I won't go so far as to say they are unsaved, or to say that they are not Christians. But their theology is un-Christian.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Maybe y'all would be interested in this article-
https://www.scribd.com/document/7239475 ... -m-Wachtel

Pre-existence, co-equality with God, and inherited immortality of man don't resonate well with me. :geek:
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bottom line: They believe completely unbiblical heresy. I won't go so far as to say they are unsaved, or to say that they are not Christians. But their theology is un-Christian.
Show me a group that can't be labeled the same way by someone else..
I believe in what you'd call "completely unbiblical heresy" in that case, so that is what it is.
0 x
MattY

Post by MattY »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Maybe y'all would be interested in this article-
https://www.scribd.com/document/7239475 ... -m-Wachtel

Pre-existence, co-equality with God, and inherited immortality of man don't resonate well with me. :geek:
It seemed to resonate well with Jesus. "Before Abraham was, I am". "And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed." Straight from his own mouth.

Again:
Revelation 1:17-18
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.
Compare with Isaiah 44:6
Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.
The author of that article goes to a whole lot of trouble to explain why that passage doesn't mean what it seems to say - that all things were created by Him, and that in Him dwells all the fullness of deity. And the funny thing is, he's hardly even gotten started. For there are so many other passages that prove the deity of Christ, it wouldn't even matter (for the doctrine of His deity) if 1 Corinthians 1:15-20 were entirely absent from Scripture.

Does it resonate with you to worship someone other than God Himself? The angel in Revelation told John, who fell at his feet to worship him, "Don't do that! Worship God."

Can you say with Thomas, "My Lord and my God?" Isaiah 43:10:
“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.
John 12:36-41
When Jesus had said these things, he departed and hid himself from them. Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him, so that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: “Lord, who has believed what he heard from us, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said, “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them.” Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory and spoke of him.
Isaiah 6:1-10
In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord [Jehovah] of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!” And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord [Jehovah] of hosts!
Last edited by MattY on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God