Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by Josh »

If SSDI and SSI were removed from Social Security, the old age part would be solvent. Currently payroll taxes are going about ⅓ (last I checked) into SSDI/SSI.

SNAP, HEAP and Medicaid are somewhat relevant since a person who lives solely on Social Security is often eligible for those programs.
0 x
Thomas_muntzer
Affiliation: Midwest fellowship

Re: William Penn

Post by Thomas_muntzer »

Oh wait, if I remember correctly, you told us the reason we can't do that had something to do with pit bulls. I forgot.
[/quote]

It’s legal to build more housing, and in most of America’s land mass there are virtually no restrictions at all.

I did say I don’t want people moving in who keep violent pitbulls. You keep saying how important walkable communities are. Want to keep them that way? Having violent dogs on the loose is the #1 reason I won’t walk somewhere.
[/quote]

Pitbull should be forbiden of breed different for other races like dogo, rottweiler or german sheperd they have a less craneal capacity so there are moment where they literally can't control
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Clarence Yoder, the Buffalo Challenger...

Post by Szdfan »

barnhart wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am It looks like alcohol may have played a role in this incident but there is plenty of video evidence on YouTube that modern people have foolish ideas about wildlife.

I once was traveling with a friend from Hong Kong and we had to slow for a herd of deer. I had to lock the door to keep him from getting out to "pet" them. I tried to convince him deer are skiddish, do not take well to human contact, can be dangerous in rut and carry disease, but he wouldn't hear it. He was completely convinced one could easily approach them by speaking softly and using careful movement.
I think a lot of people look at animals as pets and don’t really understand where their meat comes from.

I think the outrage over the Kristi Noem dog shooting story is way overblown. The dog killed some chickens and once thing I’ve often heard is that once a dog gets the taste of blood, there’s not much else you can do. But dogs are cute.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ms. Noem might be a shrewd political operator, the outrage will likely increase her support, not diminish it. But I agree with your point, shooting animals is not sin and may be merciful at times.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:45 am
barnhart wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am It looks like alcohol may have played a role in this incident but there is plenty of video evidence on YouTube that modern people have foolish ideas about wildlife.

I once was traveling with a friend from Hong Kong and we had to slow for a herd of deer. I had to lock the door to keep him from getting out to "pet" them. I tried to convince him deer are skiddish, do not take well to human contact, can be dangerous in rut and carry disease, but he wouldn't hear it. He was completely convinced one could easily approach them by speaking softly and using careful movement.
I think a lot of people look at animals as pets and don’t really understand where their meat comes from.

I think the outrage over the Kristi Noem dog shooting story is way overblown. The dog killed some chickens and once thing I’ve often heard is that once a dog gets the taste of blood, there’s not much else you can do. But dogs are cute.
I'm not familiar with this case, but we had the same approach - if a dog starts chasing and killing chickens, there isn't a lot you can do to prevent it. Even though the eggshells now go in the garbage can, and we no longer have a dog, I still have the habit of washing out the egg shells, because once a farm dog gets the taste of raw eggs, it's usually a done deal. (The egg shells used to always go on the garden or flower beds.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Did you happen to catch Jesse Singal's take on that yesterday?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Not having read her account directly but only heard it described, the issue in my mind isn't the shooting so much as that it seems to have been done in a heat of anger - and that she seems to glory in re-telling it in all it's gruesome detail.

A person should never be using a firearm or making a decision to kill an animal when they are angry (well, except for mosquitoes and such).
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i’ve loosely followed KN over a few years, i’ve liked her. Her biggest challenge is her good looks, that’s a problem for males and females, society treats them differently, it can cause all kinds of problems. She handled it well, being a good speaker, with ability to focus on whatever matter at hand.

Including the dog incident in her book was a rookie political mistake. The animal rights lobbies are powerful.

i’m surprised she did it, my daughter questioned the editor, i think a good question - BUT, not for KN to broach! (Like hillary, throwing plagiarism blame off onto her mentor-pastor. gross.)

When POTUS LBJ pulled his dog’s ears, you’d have thought he started WWIII.

i’m not following this closely, i hope KN brushes it off then continues her good work. Consider it practice.

No doubt, she’ll be a constant target, her ability, looks, assure that much. It’s a shame to see years of respectable work ignored over a political misstep. It’s a shame to see so many get away with so much, then, something like this.

“Why biden allowed his dog, Commander, to bite multiple people, including SS, dozens of times” .. :roll:

Politics.

This example demonstrates the value of DJT’s unique ability to withstand attacks. Constant attacks. His ability to rebound.
It’s a sad reflection on the current state of things.

As long as the people allow it, “the best” people will not even consider public office. Why would they?
Gluttons for punishment?!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:29 am Including the dog incident in her book was a rookie political mistake. The animal rights lobbies are powerful.
Gloating about shooting a dog while angry is only a "rookie political mistake" in the sense that it fails to conceal the flawed character of the author. I certainly wouldn't want to see such a person as President.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:03 am

Not having read her account directly but only heard it described, the issue in my mind isn't the shooting so much as that it seems to have been done in a heat of anger - and that she seems to glory in re-telling it in all it's gruesome detail.

A person should never be using a firearm or making a decision to kill an animal when they are angry (well, except for mosquitoes and such).
I agree. I think animals should be treated humanely. The book isn’t out yet, so all I’ve read are the quotes in the media. I can’t tell from the bits whether Noem acted out of anger. I think her subsequent spontaneous shooting of the goat is more problematic.

Writing this seems like a colossal mistake, however according to an AP article, there have been rumors in the SD legislature for years that Noem killed a dog in anger. Including this incident in her book might have been Noem’s way to get ahead of the story and frame it in a way that benefited her as she attempted to get into national politics. Looks like it backfired.

There aren’t a lot of defenses of Noem online and I don’t think it’s because of the animal rights lobby. I do think Noem has crossed a rather embedded line with a lot of Americans.

I also agree with this point —

https://thefederalist.com/2024/04/30/in ... isti-noem/
A fascinating aspect of this “scandal” is to see how people apply a subconscious animal hierarchy to Noem’s story and against which they judge her actions. I have said nothing outrages Americans so much as cruelty to animals or what they perceive to be cruelty to animals. But that’s not quite true. Some animals would be more accurate.

Let’s remember that Noem tells of the demise of more than her dog. Cricket, she discovered, was a chicken-killer. Where’s the moral outrage at this dog’s cruelty to these innocent fowl? Well, of course, there isn’t any, and that is because in the minds of pet-loving Americans, dogs rank higher in that hierarchy than do chickens.

Noem, however, like ranchers and farmers the world over, has a hierarchy too, and in that one, a dog, even a pet, ranks well beneath the livestock upon which the ranch depends for its survival.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford