Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by PeterG »

Well said, Robert. I do not believe that either the Bible or experience teaches us that human nature is more sinful in urban areas than in rural areas (or vice versa).

But Josh's larger point is well taken. It is a terrible mistake (perhaps even a deception from the devil) to reduce human worth to economic production, be it of money, goods, or services.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:Structure: Gorgeous buildings like this:
Sure, pick the ugliest recent federal courthouse instead of more visually appropriate ones such as Canton
or San Diego.
It's odd how you picked a place I used to live and presently live.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:It's odd how you picked a place I used to live and presently live.
I started out just looking for better examples of the building type ...

The feds must follow you around when they decide where to build a new courthouse. :o
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:It's odd how you picked a place I used to live and presently live.
I started out just looking for better examples of the building type ...

The feds must follow you around when they decide where to build a new courthouse. :o
:rofl: :laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

From here.
Josh wrote:Since the process of baptism can take years for non ethnic Mennonites, this means we are effectively shut out.
That may well be in many instances, but it is still very different from the claim that FOTW believes that most Mennonites aren't saved due to inadequate baptism.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

From the Justice and Sanctity of Life thread. Moving here to avoid distracting from the discussion there.
temporal1 wrote:one red flag is when Christian acts are preceeded with language like (to paraphrase:)
"i hate trump, i've always hated trump, i insist you hate trump, too - or you are not Christian."
o. and, this is why ...

following might be examples of how evil trump is, being a republican .. (but, i was just thinking last night) trump was a democrat when he (legally) did all those evil things ..
Yes, that certainly would be a red flag for me. If someone isn't saying that, though, it's also a red flag when people read that into everything they say. Either way, it's using political enmities to attack Christians and avoid looking at things from a Christian perspective.

If we do ethics by loving or hating Trump or Obama or Democrats or Republicans, our ethics revolve around the wrong things. And if we do ethics in the red heat of hate and enmity, there's no way we will be able to prayerfully consider biblical teaching.

There are definitely true Christians who think Trump is great for America. For what it's worth, I think it's way too early to know if he will be good or bad for America. I think he will have to learn and grow if he's going to be an effective president. I rather like Nate Silver's 14 scenarios for how a Trump presidency could turn out.

But that's a political bunny trail ... oh wait, this might be the right thread for it!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:From the Justice and Sanctity of Life thread. Moving here to avoid distracting from the discussion there.
temporal1 wrote:one red flag is when Christian acts are preceeded with language like (to paraphrase:)
"i hate trump, i've always hated trump, i insist you hate trump, too - or you are not Christian."
o. and, this is why ...

following might be examples of how evil trump is, being a republican .. (but, i was just thinking last night) trump was a democrat when he (legally) did all those evil things ..
Yes, that certainly would be a red flag for me. If someone isn't saying that, though, it's also a red flag when people read that into everything they say. Either way, it's using political enmities to attack Christians and avoid looking at things from a Christian perspective.

If we do ethics by loving or hating Trump or Obama or Democrats or Republicans, our ethics revolve around the wrong things. And if we do ethics in the red heat of hate and enmity, there's no way we will be able to prayerfully consider biblical teaching.

There are definitely true Christians who think Trump is great for America. For what it's worth, I think it's way too early to know if he will be good or bad for America. I think he will have to learn and grow if he's going to be an effective president. I rather like Nate Silver's 14 scenarios for how a Trump presidency could turn out.

But that's a political bunny trail ... oh wait, this might be the right thread for it!
Boot,

A red flag you might consider is that your posts have been consistently apologetic about our last Democratic president, whilst consistently they are critical of Trump. It makes it hard to believe what you are saying is not just partisanship dressed up in religious language, although I don't believe you are doing that because I think I know you and believe you are a better person than that.

Since you vote, something to consider is if your voting record has been consistently partisan, and if so, why.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote:Boot,

A red flag you might consider is that your posts have been consistently apologetic about our last Democratic president, whilst consistently they are critical of Trump. It makes it hard to believe what you are saying is not just partisanship dressed up in religious language, although I don't believe you are doing that because I think I know you and believe you are a better person than that.

Since you vote, something to consider is if your voting record has been consistently partisan, and if so, why.
Boot can of course speak for himself, but I do remember him stating back on the old MD that he's voted for both Republicans and Democrats. He's also stated that he's anti-abortion and was involved in the Right to Life Movement back in the 1980's before he became disillusioned with the activist approach to the issue. He also personally does not support same sex marriage, though I don't think he sees that it's the government role to enforce a "traditional" understanding of marriage. I don't think Boot supports transgender activism, but does believe that people should be able to use the bathroom.

Again, Boot, can speak for himself, but I also feel the need to defend him a bit, because what you're describing (and being kind of nasty about it) is not how I experience him. I've had many long discussions, both online and once in person, with Boot and it's my experience that he doesn't fit in the narrow partisan box you've tried to put him in.

Boot is one of the more liberal participants on MD, but that's really not that hard to do. But he's also not a partisan hack.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Since you vote, something to consider is if your voting record has been consistently partisan, and if so, why.
I don't think it has been - I voted for Reagan, H.W. Bush, Clinton, and Obama. When Obama was running against McCain, I was leaning toward McCain until he chose Sarah Palin. I really do think I weigh candidates and issues on their own merits.

And please remember the quote that I was responding to:
o. and, this is why ...

I don't do that, and you know I don't do that. I don't claim that Trump voters are not Christian, I don't seethe with hatred toward Trump.

In fact, I would say that the whole business of seething hatred toward one side or the other is inherently unchristian. That's equally true for people who seethe hatred toward Obama and people who seethe hatred toward Trump.

An awful lot of political discourse is chock full of the fruit of the flesh:
Galatians 5 wrote:19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, we must also follow the Spirit. 26 We must not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
You can apply that test equally to people across the political spectrum. People who provoke each other, create enmities, promote hatreds and factions are not behaving as Christians. And politicized Christianity often seems to look an awful lot like the fruit of the flesh.

By some coincidence, the fruit of the flesh also is the kind of thing that makes it hard to think rationally. On the other hand, the fruit of the flesh makes it really easy to convince yourself that you are thinking rationally and the other guy is not.

And I think that's a dynamic that plays out in more than one thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The archives are quite telling in seeing language patterns and assertions within posts. They don't have faulty memory. A simple search by author reveals those patterns. ;) :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God