Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:But to anyone that does not believe that the stink runs extra deep within the last administration look up and do some in depth study of just these three or four topics.

1. The Benghazi situation
2. The IRS targeting scandal
3. The Clinton email disaster.
4. And what I think is the biggest one of them all. The Clinton foundation boondoggle.
My guess is that you have not heard the last of most of these and that part of the reason the left is so devastated by their lost is that they know a bunch more stuff on some of this stuff is now more liable to come to light.
Of course Peter knows about all these things, and so do I. Each of these has been the subject of at least several investigations, often coming to the same conclusions. Each of these has been discussed on MennoDiscuss. I've read sources from left, right, and center on each of these, perhaps spending more time than I should have. I assume Peter has done the same. We have participated in some of the same discussions you have on these topics, so I'm surprised you would think we might not have heard of them.

To do an in-depth investigation on each of these, I suggest starting with reading the conclusions of each of the investigations that have been done. On balance, I think sources like snopes.com, politifact.com, and factcheck.com do a pretty good job with each of them.

One way to compare scandals by president is to look at a list of federal political scandals, focusing on the Executive Branch (the part the president has direct control over). Pick any two presidents and compare their lists.

I agree with Peter.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

PeterG wrote:With all due respect, I am tired of seeing so many political posts on MN that are, at best, hyperbolic. The situation has threatened to turn me into a nightmarish troll-version of Bootstrap; you should see some of the things I haven't posted. :shock:
Most of the political discussion on MN shows us acting not much different from the world, not questioning what we read in worldly media very deeply (or rather, believing almost everything that "our side" says and almost nothing "the other side" says), happily buying into the hyper-partisan factionalism of the world. You notice that we tend to treat each other worse in political discussions than in other discussions, and be less willing to look slowly at the facts, starting from the assumption that we don't know, the media sources just might be wrong, and the story evolves over time.

I think that makes us look ugly and stupid. Ugly because we buy into the hate-mongering and fear-mongering that sells papers. Stupid because we can't step back and carefully look at the facts without worrying about "whose side" wins, and blindly accept the narratives on "our side". And whether or not we vote, that shows how enmeshed we are with the world's political factions.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I doubt very much that I participated in any discussion on the first two topics or at least I do not remember that I did. And very little on the last two. Nor am I really interested in having a deep discussion on any of these.

And while the conclusions for various reasons have not been real clear cut I have a feeling that these and others played a bigger factor into the way people voted in your last election than anyone is giving them credit for. As hard as people try eventually stink comes out. It will in Trump's situation as well. And I apologize if I gave the impression that I thought you and Peter might not be aware of these situations. I am sure you are and will continue to be aware of material that I expect will continue to surface on these issues.
1 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Robert wrote:
PeterG wrote:Just be sure to be similarly skeptical about the things you think.
Is this a general statement or one directed towards me?

Just trying to figure out if you are seeing something in me or my thinking that you are struggling with.
Yes, I am struggling with some (but not most of) your thinking. I am not struggling with you as a person.

From my perspective, the political commitments of you and others on MN have led you to say some things that are illogical, untrue, unsupported, or otherwise unproductive. An example, if you'll forgive me for pointing it out, is your statement in the electoral college thread that the national debt is supporting New York, Chicago, and California, which ken-sylvania and I demonstrated to be highly questionable, to say the least. (You also say a lot of sensible, true, productive things.) I find this disappointing. It has been my intent to nudge folks towards better ways of thinking about politics by pointing out some problems with the things they're saying. This might not be a good idea at all, and even if it is a good idea I might be doing it wrong. (Not to mention the likelihood of deficiency in my own political perspectives.) But that's what I'm trying to do, for better or worse. If I didn't respect you and think you could take it I wouldn't bother.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

PeterG wrote:I am struggling with some (but not most of) your thinking.
I thought I detected an edge in your comments. Good to know. Thanks for being honest.

Let me back up a second and better explain what I was trying to say in that quickly spouted post.

Over 50% of people who live in New York City receive some kind of government support. Some of that is housing subsidy. Smaller amounts in welfare and SS. Things like that. I am not just talking federal. I am talking state and local. Although they do pay in a good bit, NYC is spending more than it is taking in with taxes.

Here is an interesting page with lots of details.

https://ballotpedia.org/New_York_state_ ... d_finances

It may be that the state is offsetting some of the costs of NYC. If so, that further shows that many of the big cities are not standing alone but drawing on others in state to support them. California has the same issue. Most the large cities have deficits. When a city is running a deficit, they are spending more than making. Most the time it is because there is a lot of subsidies the cities pay out.

California cities do similar. There are a lot of subsidies and government handouts in CA cities. If a city has a deficit, they are spending more than taking in and it has to be made up somehow. Often the state is subsidizing the city. If the state is, than rural citizens are paying for the cities so the state deficit will balance. This is what I was trying to get at.

Because over 50% of people who live in cities are dependent on some form of government assistance, they will most likely vote for the groups who promise to maintain or increase these policies. This is why I think the national map looks like this:

People in the cities are pro bigger government because they are used to government helping them. People in the rural areas are used to government taking from them or being almost non existent.

I am sorry, but I do not believe the DNC really cares so much about immigrants that they are pushing to take care of them. I think they see it as a new voting block to grow their party. I don't think the RNC cares about the rural people so much either. I think they see it as a strong voting block. I think the RNC plays the game of demonizing the big city liberals as much as the DNC demonizes rural people as baskets of deplorables, holding onto their bibles and guns.

It is very hard to vote for less money in your pocket. Most people are short sighted and do not look at the big picture about costs.

I think I told this story here once, but will state it again to make my point. I broke my arm a few years ago. I went to an orthopedic surgeon. he thought I needed to have it pinned. I said it was going to cost more then just wrapping it. He said, "Well you have insurance." He knew I was on Medicaid. I said, "Well someone has to pay for it." He looked at me strangely and then agreed that was true. I told him to just wrap it up. He did. It healed just fine.

My children are the same way. They have money, but will not spend their own money easily. Yet, when we go to the store, they are always asking me to buy the things they want. When I tell them to spend their own money, they 90% of the time decide they really do not need/want it so much.

It is always easier to spend other people's money. When the government taxes on and gives to another, this is what is happening. Most people receiving help will vote to keep it going. Most people being taxed to give will vote to stop it. By looking at the county by county map, it is easy to see that most of the 50% that voted democrat are city people. Most cities have a high rate of subsidies and support going to a good portion of their populace.

I have not taken time to look up Chicago, but NYC and several large cities in CA are doing this. They are spending more than they are taking in. Someone is paying for that, or will pay for that. Detroit went bankrupt and the state had to step in. Guess who paid? The rural people who have been outvoted by city people who kept voting for more free stuff.

This is not a new issue. Humanity has done this type of thing for a while. The strong often take from the weak. I see this as a continuation of that trait. Over time, if leveling mechanisms are not in place in a society, the gap widens to a point that the weak revolt. I see this election of Trump as a small revolt. I see that driving his election as much, if not more, than his wonderful presence. The rural people banded together and voted in a bully to do their fighting. We will see if that is a good strategy. It seldom works out well.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

[bible]1sam 8,10-18[/bible]
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Many rural communities are net tax consumers as well.

The bulk of economic production in America happens in the metro areas of cities, including their suburbs. Often the actual city has a lot of poor people in it, so they aren't producing as much tax revenue and are on more government assistance. But when thinking of a city as a whole, we should look at the entire metropolitan area.

Places like San Francisco or Silicon Valley account for a huge amount of economic output and people there pay massive amounts of taxes.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Josh wrote:Many rural communities are net tax consumers as well.
Every area is basically that since we have a $20 trillion dollar debt.
Josh wrote:But when thinking of a city as a whole, we should look at the entire metropolitan area.
Most suburban areas have their own local governments and tax rates. I agree they are part of the entire picture, but often they subsidize the larger city.
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Robert, I agree in substance with most of the second half of your post. [edit - Referring to this post] The first half I'm not so sure about.
Robert wrote:Over 50% of people who live in New York City receive some kind of government support. Some of that is housing subsidy. Smaller amounts in welfare and SS. Things like that. I am not just talking federal. I am talking state and local. Although they do pay in a good bit, NYC is spending more than it is taking in with taxes.
NYC only collects the local tax. State tax is collected by NY State. Some is spent directly for state funded projects, and some is distributed to local authorities, such as counties and of course, NYC. According to this 2011 article by Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government (part of SUNY), NYC and its suburbs contribute more to the state budget than what they receive in return, to the tune of $12 billion dollars in 2009-2010. I've not been able to find any data handy on NYC Federal Taxes paid vs. Federal Spending in NYC. If you have a link to this data supporting your characterization of NYC as a net receiver rather than a net contributor, I'd be interested in seeing it.
Robert wrote:California cities do similar. There are a lot of subsidies and government handouts in CA cities. If a city has a deficit, they are spending more than taking in and it has to be made up somehow. Often the state is subsidizing the city. If the state is, than rural citizens are paying for the cities so the state deficit will balance. This is what I was trying to get at.
Do you have any data on this? I'm not saying this is not the case, but just because a state is contributing to the city's budget doesn't necessarily mean the rural citizens are paying for the city. The city, for instance, might be handling such things as road maintenance, housing subsidies and low income assistance programs (known as agricultural subsidies or subsidized crop insurance in rural areas), etc. while the state is handling these programs in rural areas. State funds come from both urban areas and rural areas.

Not to bunny trail this bunny trail, but I'll just add this comment about NYC as a net contributor or a net receiver - in my opinion NYC ends up being a net receiver in the whole economic scheme of things. I think much of the wealth generated by banking and financial trading is gained not by providing economic value, but by gaming the systems in place, which are maintained for the benefit of the rich by the power of the rich. Just my two cents...
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

ken_sylvania wrote:According to this 2011 article by Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government (part of SUNY), NYC and its suburbs contribute more to the state budget than what they receive in return, to the tune of $12 billion dollars in 2009-2010.
Maybe I am drawing unfair lines, but this goes to the suburbs comments to Josh's post.

Also, 2009-10 may have been a more balanced year. I know there have been some years the city covered it costs better than others, but Medicaid and such things are state programs. Not sure how to find out if they are paying out more than taking in, but because of the level of poverty, I suspect they pay more than the city pays in to that program.
ken_sylvania wrote:Do you have any data on this?
City has a deficit. State makes it up, or gives them a line of credit. Maybe I am looking at it too simply, but that is the core of my numbers.

Take a look at this. I found it and think it speaks to some of what I am saying. WARNING! It is Bill Orielly. He is evil because he is a conservative. About 2 minutes in, he starts talking about this.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/523954788900 ... show-clips
0 x