Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Christians and Trans

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:11 pm
I'm frankly puzzled by why this has become such a lightning-rod issue for conservative Christians. What happened to "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness?" What happened to "love one another even as I have loved you?" What happened to "he who is without sin cast the first stone". What happened to "Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." What happened to "live and let live?" and so forth.
I checked my Bible and several of these quotations weren’t in there; perhaps you’ve gotten mixed up with one of Trump’s Bibles?
I didn't claim they were all Bible verses. But they are all principles that Christians claim to value when it comes to their own lives. For example the right to educate their children as they see fit. In one-room schoolhouses and only up to 8th grade if they want. Without the interference of the state or interference from busy bodies who have other beliefs.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:15 pm Trans people are mentally ill. Mentally ill people are much more delicate and prone to things like suicide. I think they are to be handled with a soft type of compassion. They, much like gay and lesbian people identify as their sin rather recognizing the choice they have so any attempt to be straight forward with them about reality is taking so personally they cannot handle it the same as a sane person. I thinking coming back to talk about my personal choices without pointing the finger at them may be the best example to get them to start to reconsider.
Careful with that. Christians were considered as mentally ill in the USSR and persecuted as such. That is what happens when you let ideology guide medicine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political ... 0treatment.

Psychiatry is an actual field of medicine. And the field of psychiatry has suggested for many years now that there is significant empirical evidence supporting the notion that the various expressions of LGBT are normal variants of human sexual orientation as opposed to a mental illness or disorder. You are, of course, free to disagree. But if you do, that disagreement should be based on clinical evidence and not religion if the argument you are making is medical or psychological. And especially if you are making claims about others.
Last edited by Ken on Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:15 pm Trans people are mentally ill. Mentally ill people are much more delicate and prone to things like suicide. I think they are to be handled with a soft type of compassion. They, much like gay and lesbian people identify as their sin rather recognizing the choice they have so any attempt to be straight forward with them about reality is taking so personally they cannot handle it the same as a sane person. I thinking coming back to talk about my personal choices without pointing the finger at them may be the best example to get them to start to reconsider.
Careful with that. Christians were considered as mentally ill in the USSR and persecuted as such. That is what happens when you let ideology guide medicine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political ... 0treatment.

Psychiatry is an actual field of medicine. And the field of psychiatry has suggested for many years now that there is significant empirical evidence supporting the notion that the various expressions of LGBT are normal variants of human sexual orientation as opposed to a mental illness or disorder.
Hence why homosexuality was removed from DSM in 1973.

However, gender dysphoria is still listed as a mental disorder in DSM-5

I think believing you have to cut off part of yourself to not kill your self is a mental health problem.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:39 pm I’m not concerned with what the kingdoms of this world think. Of course they think those who have the peace that passes all understanding are crazy!

Now people like Ken are making a sane choice to believe lies. I feel much more comfortable telling him to repent or simply change his mind!
If you want to walk up to some LGBT person and make the claim that they are mentally ill. It is up to you to support that claim, not me.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:42 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:39 pm I’m not concerned with what the kingdoms of this world think. Of course they think those who have the peace that passes all understanding are crazy!

Now people like Ken are making a sane choice to believe lies. I feel much more comfortable telling him to repent or simply change his mind!
If you want to walk up to some LGBT person and make the claim that they are mentally ill. It is up to you to support that claim, not me.
How about you respect the request and make a separate thread? I’m sure someone will be more then happy to argue with you.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:42 pm

You sure don’t pay attention to others. I said these types of people need a deeper type of compassion when relating to them because they are so delicate. It is a ridiculous assumption that a sane person need tell a mentally ill person that the mentally ill person is mentally ill. They clearly don’t understand this and so the sane person has the responsibility to be gentle in our approach no matter how aggressive the trans person may be.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:32 pm

Psychiatry is an actual field of medicine. And the field of psychiatry has suggested for many years now that there is significant empirical evidence supporting the notion that the various expressions of LGBT are normal variants of human sexual orientation as opposed to a mental illness or disorder.
Hence why homosexuality was removed from DSM in 1973.

However, gender dysphoria is still listed as a mental disorder in DSM-5

I think believing you have to cut off part of yourself to not kill your self is a mental health problem.
And therein lies your answer to the question that is the subject of this thread: To Quote Bootstrap: "This thread is for discussing how we, as Christians who believe in creation as male and female, should relate to trans issues in the surrounding culture."

The answer is that conservative Christians should probably just butt out and mind their own business and let the fields of psychiatry and psychology deal with the private medical issues of others. And when it comes to children, give them and their families the same privacy and autonomy that we demand for ourselves in other areas of life. Such as, for example, how we choose to bring up our own children.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:58 pm And therein lies your answer to the question that is the subject of this thread: To Quote Bootstrap: "This thread is for discussing how we, as Christians who believe in creation as male and female, should relate to trans issues in the surrounding culture."
Sorry, Ken, but I don't think you have any idea what the answer is because you do not share our world view on this. Could you please go start a thread of your own?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:17 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:58 pm And therein lies your answer to the question that is the subject of this thread: To Quote Bootstrap: "This thread is for discussing how we, as Christians who believe in creation as male and female, should relate to trans issues in the surrounding culture."
Sorry, Ken, but I don't think you have any idea what the answer is because you do not share our world view on this. Could you please go start a thread of your own?
Does your world view include the right to raise your own children as you see fit? And the right to be treated with respect and be left alone by the state regardless of what your particular beliefs are?
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Could a moderator please move Ken's posts to his own thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?