Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bunny Trails

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:The archives are quite telling in seeing language patterns and assertions within posts. They don't have faulty memory. A simple search by author reveals those patterns. ;) :mrgreen:
Absolutely.

You seem to be implying that someone who did that would find I'm a seething hatred kind of guy. Were you implying that? If so, is that true?

Here's a dynamic I see that disrupts a lot of discussions. We try discussing a topic. During that discussion, people periodically feel the need to imply something nasty about someone they disagree with. Then it gets personal and the topic has been changed so we aren't discussing the topic anymore. So we don't get to discuss the policy or the data or whatever we are talking about.

It's especially sad when this happens when someone is trying to call others on to act in a biblical way. And I do hope we can call each other on, take the fruit of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit seriously, and the like. Surely that's not the kind of discussion that needs to be disrupted.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

While i'm certain it's ill-advised to attempt to clarify, i will attempt this much. :(
The words i used, in context, that have been picked out to cause such frenzy,
i wrote in DanZ's thread, written to joshuabgood re: his interesting post - :-|
(with no response from either, none required:)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=342&p=8029&hilit=preceeded#p8029
temporal1 wrote:
joshuabgood wrote: Though I would support "marches" and "protests" and "civil disobedience" etc - so long as they were peaceful...

it could/should be noted that there is very little evidence that any Christians did much (any) of this for the first 1800 years or so...despite having lived in plenty of oppressive regimes.
as lester and max are speaking to above, there is a difference in reaching out to sincerely evangelize with a pure heart .. as opposed to political activism (while citing Christian principles.)

i think i agree with you, there was a change wherein pastors led their flocks to seek answers in government, probably not realizing the ultimate outcome would be for the laity to seek-after earthly answers when they should be seeking God's will. only one God.

how to tell the difference? mike is addressing this.

one red flag is when Christian acts are preceeded with language like (to paraphrase:)
"i hate trump, i've always hated trump, i insist you hate trump, too - or you are not Christian."
o. and, this is why ..

following might be examples of how evil trump is, being a republican .. (but, i was just thinking last night) trump was a democrat when he (legally) did all those evil things .. further, he was a citizen, not an elected representative. lots of elected representatives have done lots of evil things, not all legal, abusing public trust+monies, but those folks have a short memory on their improprieties, some major.

today we have a sad situation where all matters are now exploited for their political worth. :(
pastors: what have you done? laity: what are you demanding of pastors?
matters of faith, family, community, everything is hijacked for political divisiveness. :(

i pray we can turn away from this, somehow. i don't know how, Jesus does.
identifying the problems, admitting where we've gotten off-track, not where others have gone wrong, but where have we gone wrong?

we can fool ourselves and others, but Jesus knows our dark hearts.

so. His will? or, our vanities?
it's more than tweaking language to veil intent. that's a waste of time. Jesus knows.
there is so much of this running rampant in the world now. not confined to this forum, unfortunately found on this forum.

hope that helps. :)
i'm limiting my post count, 'do not plan to return to this matter.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:The archives are quite telling in seeing language patterns and assertions within posts. They don't have faulty memory. A simple search by author reveals those patterns. ;) :mrgreen:
I don't think a vague accusation like this is helpful.

If you think someone is engaging in bad behaviour, you should approach them privately and talk to them about it, not just throw things like this around in public.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

PeterG wrote:From here.
Josh wrote:Since the process of baptism can take years for non ethnic Mennonites, this means we are effectively shut out.
That may well be in many instances, but it is still very different from the claim that FOTW believes that most Mennonites aren't saved due to inadequate baptism.
Perhaps I should narrow it down to just say that two people who are in FOTW expressed doubts to me about my own salvation.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:

If you think someone is engaging in bad behaviour, you should approach them privately and talk to them about it, not just throw things like this around in public.
this is advice you have repeated from time-to-time, so, it must be important to you (?)
without inciting wrath, may i ask, is this advice you employ? (did you privately message max?)
or is public display ok for everyone except max (and certain chosen others?) sincere question.

i realize this is your opinion, not forum rules, but interested in better understanding of your pov.
0 x

UNKNOWN
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Josh wrote:
PeterG wrote:From here.
Josh wrote:Since the process of baptism can take years for non ethnic Mennonites, this means we are effectively shut out.
That may well be in many instances, but it is still very different from the claim that FOTW believes that most Mennonites aren't saved due to inadequate baptism.
Perhaps I should narrow it down to just say that two people who are in FOTW expressed doubts to me about my own salvation.
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Josh

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:

this is advice you have repeated from time-to-time, so, it must be important to you (?)
without inciting wrath, may i ask, is this advice you employ? (did you privately message max?)
or is public display ok for everyone except max (and certain chosen others?) sincere question.

i realize this is your opinion, not forum rules, but interested in better understanding of your pov.
I'm not accusing MaxPC of bad behaviour; I am simply saying it would be better to approach someone privately rather than make vague accusations in a public forum.

I am not being vague. I am being quite direct. And unfortunately my history with MaxPC is that he ignores my PMs. I asked moderators to help, and their advice was that it will be a waste of time so there's no point in bothering. It would be fair to say that the private option is completely exhausted at this point.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:I don't think a vague accusation like this is helpful.

I'm not accusing MaxPC of bad behaviour; I am simply saying it would be better to approach someone privately rather than make vague accusations in a public forum.

I am not being vague. I am being quite direct. And unfortunately my history with MaxPC is that he ignores my PMs. I asked moderators to help, and their advice was that it will be a waste of time so there's no point in bothering. It would be fair to say that the private option is completely exhausted at this point.
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying.

In another thread, GaryK posted some helpful thoughts:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=280&start=20
Re: Ecclesial Evolution, Page 3
by GaryK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

I don't recall having much, if any, interactions with Max on MD or MN. Do you feel an obligation to?
If it's fiction it's fiction. As Ravi Zacharias asks of atheists he encounters "what is it that you are trying to disprove?"
on a personal note, my posts are often ignored .. i take no offense. true, sometimes it's easier than other times.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

RZehr wrote:
Wade wrote:Since, "...there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." How much communion should we have in partaking of voting?

And if our vote is different than who gets into authority; did we vote against God's will?

Where do we draw the line with partaking in voting for someone who is going to use the sword when, "Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”?
I think these are all really good points, and reasons not to vote. I don't promote voting. But I can't really say it is sin, even while I can say that it is less than ideal.

Just as I don't like it when some start watering down and relabeling sin as weaknesses or whatever, I also don't want to overreach in the other direction and call something sin, when it may not be.
I agree with you. But still confused and not sure if I understand completely in the context?
So I just have a couple questions:
Have I given the impression that voting is sin?
Or do I give impressions like that about weakness being sin?

If I did/do could I have some help in pointing those things out to me so that I could work more on my communication skills and not give the wrong impression that was not my intent. Thank you.

I just put this hear to not clutter up the other thread.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Wade wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Wade wrote:Since, "...there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." How much communion should we have in partaking of voting?

And if our vote is different than who gets into authority; did we vote against God's will?

Where do we draw the line with partaking in voting for someone who is going to use the sword when, "Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”?
I think these are all really good points, and reasons not to vote. I don't promote voting. But I can't really say it is sin, even while I can say that it is less than ideal.

Just as I don't like it when some start watering down and relabeling sin as weaknesses or whatever, I also don't want to overreach in the other direction and call something sin, when it may not be.
I agree with you. But still confused and not sure if I understand completely in the context?
So I just have a couple questions:
Have I given the impression that voting is sin?
Or do I give impressions like that about weakness being sin?

If I did/do could I have some help in pointing those things out to me so that I could work more on my communication skills and not give the wrong impression that was not my intent. Thank you.

I just put this hear to not clutter up the other thread.
I'm sorry Wade. I should have thought a little more before writing. Afterword I thought that this was ripe for misinterpretation. Maybe I shouldn't have quoted your post.

Regarding your questions, no, I've not pickup anything from you saying voting is sin. And no, I've certainly not gotten the idea that you don't call sin, sin.

I believe that the ambassador analogy is a super good analogy for me, and especially for the voting question. But I don't think the ambassador analogy is perfect/complete. My intention was to add to the conversation, not necessarily to say that the ambassador point is not good.
I'ts just that the thoughts that I posted have been rolling around in my mind for a while, and I guess at the first mention of the ambassador analogy my thoughts just spilled out.
0 x